Xiaomi Mi Box

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Andy3008

Andy3008 Member

I to have the Shield and concur with your thoughts

Upgraded to the Fetch Mighty and very happy with the result

Agreed

2. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

1. Noted regarding the Shield, but that looks like it starts at $249, probably best I guess to use that for a Theatre room, but MiBox's for bedrooms? What audio is your rips in? Aren't most AC3/DD5.1 or DTS? What issue exists?
    2. Noted regarding SMB, but do you need a login (user name/pass) on the PC hosting the shared folders? I'm reluctant to do it as I'm assuming it would ask to login every time I boot up the PC.
    3. Does the Fetch Mighty run Android? Otherwise how could it replace Kodi? We've got the original fetch box (don't think it's 'mighty' but has PVR/HDD). It's great, but it doesn't run Kodi.

3. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Copy........

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

1. Noted regarding the Shield, but that looks like it starts at $249, probably best I guess to use that for a Theatre room, but MiBox's for bedrooms? What audio is your rips in? Aren't most AC3/DD5.1 or DTS? What issue exists?
    I ended up going the $330 one cause I find xbox and ps to be over the top and $$$ for my casual gaming needs. The shield is good at that side of things, but i'm yet to try the whole stream a game from my desktop PC. maybe over the holidays i'll get a chance
    I have (like most i guess) every imaginable combo of vid/audio compression in all the containers ..
    MiBox 3 has some noted issues with dolby 5.1 and passthrough of dolby true and dts hdma. those were/are show stoppers for me

2. Noted regarding SMB, but do you need a login (user name/pass) on the PC hosting the shared folders? I'm reluctant to do it as I'm assuming it would ask to login every time I boot up the PC.
    I run a synology nas and only have a couple of selected folders shared, and then its read only on a low privilege guest account. write is forbidden except from trusted user names. Kodi remembers the guest/password account. so only had to enter it once

3. Does the Fetch Mighty run Android? Otherwise how could it replace Kodi? We've got the original fetch box (don't think it's 'mighty' but has PVR/HDD). It's great, but it doesn't run Kodi.
    I only ever had a fetch, not a mighty, so cant comment on its media capabilities. they're great as a PVR (though, i dont have one any more as mine was via a ISP deal and they wanted it back at the end)

5. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

The only thing the Fetch is lacking in for my purposes is it's external media player. It doesn't support SRT files and is very basic, it just lists files and plays them, no frills, no Kodi like experience. It's easy to see that they've put the least amount of development into that part of the box. But at least the playback is smooth, unlike the MI Box.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  6. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

- Streaming a game via PC would at a guess be similar to SteamLink. There is small lag / delay but it works OK, not good for FPS though.
    - I haven't noticed any issues with DD5.1 (AC3) at my brother-in-laws. But that would be annoying. Is the issue fixed on the new unit? What does Xiaomi say?
    - Noted regarding SMB via Synology NAS. Unfortunately I don't have one, I just use a HTPC with 8 HDDs so I simply turn that PC on when I want to, and watch a movie from a bedroom (using PC or MiBox's). I just don't want a user name/password to input every time I turn the HTPC on.
    - Noted regarding Fetch, I don't think it runs Android. Fetch is great, but if it can't run Kodi then it's not a replacement imo.

7. Strange1

Strange1 Member

I've got an international MiBox and a China only Mibox and SMB hasn't been an issue with Kodi as long as you use one of the 18.0 builds. Jarvis (17.6) didn't supports SMB2, but Leia 18.0 (I'm using Beta 3) is working 100% :thumbup:

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Sideload ?
    I never looked into it further TBH

9. pezzy

pezzy Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    MUTMAN likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Seems to be a few deals on the sheild coming out recently.....is there a new model coming out or something?

11. RnR

RnR Member

Might be because the Vodafone TV is available at $AU72 (free delivery) - https://www.vodafone.com.au/vodafone-tv

12. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

14. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Sweet, I'll just need to sit tight and wait for 18.0, won't be long.

Noted, cheers.

Looks pretty sweet for the price!

Still think the S is the latest. My brothers arrived yesterday, he's set it all up and is happy. I'll visit over the next week or two, have a bit of a play and let you know my thoughts.

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Cool, that would be exceeeeelent, thanks.

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

17. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

It is exactly the same hardware

18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Correct. Which makes it a largely pointless upgrade from the current.

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

If the hardware is the same
    And they cant get a firmware version that does surround sound properly
    Whats been upgraded ?

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Slightly smaller enclosure, a new remote with some additional (quick launch) buttons, and the latest Android TV 8.1 software.