1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Xiaomi Mi Box

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 28, 2017.

1. shino

shino Member

How do you get streaming channels on this? I only got click here then a show I select goes... is there channels I can watch?

2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

You can get apps from the app store that can stream things. Otherwise, you can download apps that will let you access "other channels" from around the world, but again, all app based, you'll have to hunt around and do some research.

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

4. flain

flain Member

I've been looking at buying these as presents for some family members this Christmas

Can anyone who owns one comment on the refresh rate issues? Is it still a problem in the newer ones? Apparently it wont change it's refresh to match the video source (which other players do automatically) so there is lots of stuttering?

5. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Yes, automatic refresh rate switching is not very well supported in android tv. Even if the OS/hardware supports it (Mi box 3 doesn't quite yet) the apps probably won't. I've read Kodi can do it on android tv but that's about it. I manually change in settings to suit (1080p/24hz most of the time, 1080p/50hz for UK/AUS streams).

flain likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Kodi on nvidia shield switches rates and does surround sound right. Id avoid the xiaomi until they fix their firmware.
    Which sadly isnt looking like anytime soon at this rate.

7. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I don't seem to have so much trouble waking mine up from deep sleep anymore, typically now I hit the power button once and then hit the big central round button once, the one inside the up/down/left/right one. This usually works first go. I'm just speculating but it reminds me of my htpc, I have a wireless logitech keyboard and at first I'd hit the power button which would wake it from sleep and then immediately put it back to sleep again, now I hit the space bar to wake and the power button to put it to sleep. On this mi box it's like hitting the power button seems to give it a nudge and then the other button wakes it fully. Kinda weird but it seems to work for me, not 100% but probably 9 times out of 10.

Another little tip which probably works on all Android TV devices relating to the favourites on the home screen. I was kinda annoyed the Redbull TV icon was in my favourites and I couldn't seem to remove it. Playing around I added another app which I didn't really want as a favourite and then couldn't remove it either. I finally decided to try disabling Redbull TV under settings -> apps and that did the trick, the other app I disabled it and then re-enabled it and that got it off my favourites. Maybe there's a correct way to do this I don't know of but this seems to work so my favourites is only the 2-3 apps I regularly use.

8. pezzy

pezzy Member

^on the shield, you hold the ok button on the remote to bring up the remove icon/banner option. i imagine it would be the same with the mi box.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Occasionally after a period of not using the box the remote will not register. I just keep tapping the buttons until it wakes. Is this the issue you're referring to?

10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

11. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Right, that makes sense :thumbup:

Yeah, now that I posted my "trick" to making it work above it's not working for me now lol but as you say just spam the power and ok button and it always wakes up.

12. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think it must have come in one of the updates? Don't ever remember it happening when I bought the box, or maybe my memory is real bad :p