1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Xiaomi Mi Box

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 28, 2017.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Just before I order - looking back people are saying that $80 is the max one should be paying. Both these recommended suppliers linked earlier have prices around AUD$100 currently.

Does that sound right or is it a rip off?

Edit: Never mind it appears that gearbite via ebay is offering an additional 10% off code which will bring it down to $90ish which seems OK.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I still think it's worth it for $100Au but they were doing regular sales that had it quite a bit less than $100Au. So perhaps more sales will come up soon? Not sure, depends on how keen you are to purchase or wait : )

3. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

There don't appear to have been any sales since the one you mentioned in July.

I'm just confirming with gearbite that the 10% code is still working, which would bring it to $90.
    Also need to find out if it comes with an Aussie compatible plug pack (the unit is allegedly posted from Melbourne, so you would hope so, but it doesn't specifically state that in the listing).

Cheers

4. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Assuming I get one of these, is the recommended setup process to install the latest firmware first and then go from there?

If anyone knows of a step-by step setup guide, I'd appreciate it.

(I mean other than the hints/tips on whirlpool as reposted in the first page of this thread)

5. grrrr

grrrr Member

i dont know your technical ability, but plenty of ppl flash it to run kodi on linux rather than android, openelec or libreelec or OSMC etc.

I also feel traitorous linking another forum but wrxtasy on the kodi forums knows his shit when it comes to SBC HTPCs.

Pick the Right Kodi Box

The Xiamon Mi Box is arguably the best value. Personally I am after an ethernet port and will probably upgrade my RPi3 with an OdroidC2 or a Rock64 (waiting to see if the Rock64 gets a decent linux kodi build).

6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks.

I'd prefer to keep it original (not root/flash it) and work within those restraints.

My wife will be a (the) main user and I want to keep it as simple as possible once set up. :)

7. Cererus

Cererus Member

You could wait for a ebay -%20 deal that's when I got mine via Gearbrite.
    Plug on the power pack is not AU (US I think), Xiaomi couldnt be bothered doing the mandatory testing for a small market like Aus.
    Get a adaptor from ebay or woolies

8. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks for that.

9. Rezin

Rezin Member

10. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks mate yeah that's the same one that was mentioned in the ad that I alluded to earlier. Brings it to $90 which is prob OK.

11. grrrr

grrrr Member

'Once set up' anyone can use it regardless of the OS.

12. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just a small clarification but I think it's Gearbite. When I ordered my first their shipping was pretty quick which led me to believe it was sent from within Aus. No Au power adapter though.

13. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

It's all good. I couldn't be arsed waiting with the possibility of saving another $9 or so, so I purchased one from gearbite (via ebay) yesterday with the 10% off code for $89 and change.

I did ask and gearbest was offering a limited similar deal for 2 days (within a few $) but the estimated delivery time from gearbite is shorter than the estimated shipping date from gearbest.

Thanks for all your input. Now I just have to track down an adapter.
    As I'd rather not wait until it turns up and THEN have to go and find one, is anyone able to offer the specs of what I need? Ta.

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  15. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can't tell you specs but I can tell you what I bought.....and it does the job just fine, whilst being very cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321849037133

Would have preferred black to go with the power plug of the Mi Box, but everything is hidden anyways, so no bother.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. darknebula

darknebula Member

Oooh I need an extra, do these come with power adaptors?

19. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. Why does this always happen AFTER I've bought stuff.....

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

lol, I did suggest more sales might come up soon :p But it's no biggie, you only $10 extra : )

That's the first one I bought and nope, no Au adapter came with it. Maybe they include it now? Not sure, but I can't see anything in the sale to suggest they do. Might be best to just quickly message the seller (they might be able to chuck one in?) or keep an eye on the OzB comments, the questio0n will come up sooner or later.