1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Xiaomi Mi Box

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 28, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

3. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Of course a couple days after I buy one :)

I've got mine up an running, just a bit of netflix and casting youtube so far but am having issues with it not always waking up. It seems to be a somewhat common issue, I have to unplug and plug the power jack back in. It did update itself but not sure if that started it, apparently a reset has helped some so might give that a try.

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

What version of Android TV are these units running? I've been considering an upgrade for my Nexus Player and a stronger CPU + HDR is tempting, but I don't want to downgrade from Oreo.

5. Nick the Knife

Nick the Knife Member

It seems obvious but I can't get my Mi Box to actually delete files on a USB connected HDD. Am running SPMC and very familiar with Kodi so even when I am prompted for YES/NO to delete a file and select DELETE the best it'll do is remove it from the library but not delete the actual file.

I thought it might have been a permissions issue - but in the Android settings SPMC has the only permission there enabled.

Any ideas welcomed. :)

6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

How to get Amazon TV installed on mibox? My smart TV has it but I cant seem to get it onto my mibox?

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

TBH I haven't really checked properly but I thought it was 6.0 (?)....

8. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Hey buddy, can you advise what version of Android yours is running after updates?

9. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I checked last night and it's 6.0.1

If anyone else has this issue the reset seems to have fixed it, it's been working fine the last week or so.

10. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Is there something you have to do to setup voice search correctly? The only time I've used it so far is to do a search in the youtube app but it's quite atrocious so I figure maybe there's some routine to train it? Or maybe it's the youtube app that's the problem?

11. Nick the Knife

Nick the Knife Member

There's no setup - you just have to speak very clearly and a tad slowly. Works perfect to do the exact search I want ~90% of the time.

12. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I had to do something like set my language to US English (!?!?) to get it to understand me properly.

Ah here we go; generic english: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/tAp7UyevToU

13. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Thanks I'll give that a try.

14. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

It seems it's the youtube app itself, search works fine on the home screen but searching within the youtube app is terrible. I tried 'youtube search blah blah blah' from the home screen and this seems a better way than from within the app.

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I would probably just use google voice to search, easier I think.

16. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

has anyone tried plugging in a usb drive and playing high bitrate 4k movies [like 50ish mbps] off the mi box? im wondering if it will stutter or handle it ok? Also if you plug in a usb hard drive can you explore the hard drive via network from another pc?

17. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Hoping to get a few pointers as I'm considering picking one of these up as a front end for my existing Kodi box and also to play Netflix.

1) Do these support Netflix 1080p? I've read conflicting messages.

2) Does the Kodi android app run flawlessly? I've seen people talk about running OpenElec etc and I'm curious as to whether that's due to some kind of issues under the app?

3) Can you easily switch between running Android and a Linux build? Eg hold a button on boot, or insert/remove an SD card? Hoping if it's necessary then I can make it family friendly.

4) Will these happily decode h264 and h265 @ 1080p?

18. darknebula

darknebula Member

1. It supports Netflix 1080p and 4K

2. Kodi runs great as far as i'm aware. Openelec is not for the Mi Box. Openelec is for installing on other types of devices. For example i have it running on 2 Nvidia Ion boxes.

3. No

4. Yes

Maelstrom likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I have been trialing some 4K 2160p movies, around 40-70Gig in size, H.265.....running VLC and all working perfectly. Haven't tried exploring external storage via network....I'm sure it would be fine?

sanjeevlives, Maelstrom and MUTMAN like this.
  20. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Awesome, thanks!

I've done some additional reading and saw on Whirlpool that there might be some issues with screen refresh:
    http://whrl.pl/Re6nt4
    "... the Mi Box will not give you ultra smooth video playback like the WDTV or LibreELEC Kodi Krypton boxes because it cannot refresh switch your TV to match the frame rates of the video you are watching.

So expect video playback judder, unless your TV disguises that judder with its motion smoothing and interpolation features."

Have any of you experienced anything similar?

Also, apologies for the tinfoil hat paranoia, but is there a way to flash stock Android on these and/or have there been any reports of privacy/security breaches? I saw some stuff about Xiaomi in the past but seems like it was from a few years ago. Huawei and ZTE have often been accused of things and I'm wondering if it's worth being paranoid about Xiaomi as well.