Xigmatek S1283 Dual Fan Mod - pics!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by InTheFade, Oct 31, 2009.

1. InTheFade

InTheFade Member

I woke up this morning in the mood for some overclocking, so I went about tweaking some RAM timings and whatnot and doing some benches only to notice that my trusty E5200 was getting a little toasty - up to 70 under load. Seeing as the weather's starting to warm up for summer, I thought it best to take action before something melts! ...And it was too nice a day outside to be sitting on the computer, so I decided to take it apart instead...

The S1283 is a nice, cheap little cooler, but unlike it's more expensive brethren only has support for one fan.

Click to view full size!

This simply won't do!

What is an overclocker to do? Well I think it's pretty obvious...

Time to get GHETTOOO!

With a screwdriver and a (rather empty, might I add) packet of zipties, I got to disassembling and figuring out how to strap a fan onto there. Not seeing any obvious mounting holes or... 'ziptie-able' locations, it finally hit me - the fins, man! The FINS!

Click to view full size!

The caudal fin is the tail fin, located at the end of the... wait, wrong fin

Click to view full size!

With all of the zipties in, it's simply a matter of using yet more zipties to secure the fan in. Easy az, bru.

I'm using a busted up 12cm CoolerMaster fan that's been laying around for a while. Make some weird noises now and again, but the heat is starting to get to me so in it goes.

Click to view full size!

I hate cutting zipties really short. Seems like such a waste, so I just left them be and tucked them in so they weren't in the way of anything important. Like I said, I'm running low on them :p

Click to view full size!

Ready for deployment, sir

And with that, it's done! It's a pretty simple mod, but it's been a slow day, I have no assignments due, and it's slug- I mean studyweek. Gotta do something to keep busy, right?

8 zipties and 2 hours later (my case is a bitch to squeeze stuff into), et voila, everything is back in business.

Click to view full size!

Takeoff in 3... 2... 1...

That's a total of 10 fans in the mATX case now. Quite the feat, if I may say! Temps only dropped by a couple of degrees, but what do I care! I'm a modder, modders live for excess, damn it!

2. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Ha ha, nice. That's the sort of mod I want to do to my heatsink, although I have the OCZ Vendetta 2, so I'm not sure how it'd go :eek:

3. slickncghia

slickncghia Member

I did the same to my CM tx3. it seemed to help a little but

the difference between all 3 case fans on max and 2 cpu fans VS
    just the quiet side fan and one cpu fan

is about 2 degrees at idle / general usage load.

its probably more at max oc max load... but its a little pointles for the most part.

my fans are generally off for quietness.... but summer may bring a change to that

4. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Makes me want to do the same thing to mine :D

Maybe when I get the same fan I'll do it, don't like to mix 'n' match fans ;D

Good mod

5. richard0296

richard0296 Member

hey mate,

i currently have the tj08 and am considering getting the s1283 dark knight, just wondering if you had any trouble with fitting the cooler in or any other height issues?

cheers :)

6. HeXa

HeXa Member

I have the same HSF on my E5200@4GHz... I too noticed the temps creeping up now the warm weather has finally arrived in Canberra.

Not sure if I'll do anything about it... dead e5200 means quad upgrade! :p

7. OP
    OP
    InTheFade

InTheFade Member

Since the Dark Knight is just a sexier, more nickel-y version of the S1283, yes, it will fit :). As long as the CPU isn't placed too high on the motherboard, it shouldn't touch the PSU and the very top of the heatpipes clear the sidepanel by about 8mm. It's all a very snug fit.

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

same mod, NH-U9B :)

Mine was done out of space restrictions. as you can see, no room for the wire clips (supplied for dual fan setup)

this also means to remove teh heatsink i must remove teh motherboard from teh case to remove teh fans, lol :)

lots of noctua love there, even got the NC-U6 for no reason :p

Cable tie mod thread?

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  9. onthepulse

onthepulse Member

temps? Don't spose you can show before and after...?

10. core69

core69 Member

nice mod mate! hehe

i have a xigmatek dark knight and thinking of adding another fan to it too.

just curious how were your temps before and after?

cheers

11. RSDXzec

RSDXzec Member

hehe, thats pretty good, I added 4 fans to my cooler and never looked back :thumbup:
    got a wind tunnel effect happening.

12. whispar

whispar Member

good old cable ties... what would you do without them ay.. good work !:thumbup:

13. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Kids these days only read the pictures.

14. OP
    OP
    InTheFade

InTheFade Member

Yeah but you gotta admit, they're some mighty purdy pictures so one could be forgiven :p

Did some quick stressing with wPrime to load up both cores. First up with the second fan off, it got to 70/64 (core 0/1). After a few minutes I turned the second fan on 100%, and it dropped down a little to 67/61. Turned the fan off again to be thorough, creeped up again to 70/63. Once more with the fan on and it went down to 67/62.

TL;DR - the second fan at full speed drops the temp at load by 2-3 degrees on each core.

15. Smashedcrab

Smashedcrab Member

Good job m8.:thumbup:

16. core69

core69 Member

my bad mate, but pics look more appealing :o

17. WDA_Steph

WDA_Steph New Member

I just made myself an account to reply to this...
    It looks awesome and ill be trying it tonight once i get bored!
    Hopefully i can find the good ol' zip ties!
    Do you guys know what the fan speed on the stock xigmatek x1283 is?
    On ET6 mine shows going on about 800rpm.
    I have a 2nd side fan on my antec 902 that shows 1000~
    Do you think it would be allright to put that one in as well WITH the stock xigmatek one?
    Thanks

18. WDA_Steph

WDA_Steph New Member

Ohhhhhh the huge manity....

I started off with one corner , then realised it took two cable ties to do each corner...
    I had 5 cable ties..
    Gave up once i saw i had one left ,i rage quit and removed it.
    ill try it again once i need to replace my ram since i need to remove the heatsink.
    Although i found a minor issue..
    At the bottom my amd rettention clip (The actual part that pulls back to secure the seating) Gets in the way , it literally touches the bottom of the 2nd fan i was putting on. Which means i dont think ill be able to take the heatsink off then reattach since the clip wont pull back :O
    Did anyone else try mounting the 2nd fan on a xigmatek with the amd set up?
    (If i recall correctly the intel set up faces towards the back , whilst amd goes up or down.)