[XP] Remote Desktop Confusion

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by elbarto_87, Aug 29, 2009.

1. elbarto_87

elbarto_87 Member

Hi,

I just have a quick question about setting up a VPN over the internet between 2 XP machines that I cant seem to find an answer for anywhere.

My question is, If I have a small home network with around 4 pc with Local IP's 10.1.1.2 to 10.1.1.5 (or something like that) how does does the remote connection know what computer to connect to.

I have read that you need to use your public IP and configure port number 3389. Does this mean that only one computer on a home network can be configured to for a RDC or can more that 1 computer share port (this is the confusing bit)?

The closest article I found to my question was this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx. It appears to use a TCP port other then 80, is this how you can remote connect to different PC's on the same home network?

Thank You,
    Elbarto

2. woodys_world69

woodys_world69 Member

as far as i know, you need a single termination point on your local network for the VPN.

Now this can be a single machine, running hamachi etc

or it could be a specific VPN router, which can then be distributed to any machine in that LAN

im kinda drunk.....so if anyone wants to correct me, please do lol

3. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

basically - yes, if you are port forwarding, then you can only forward port 3389 to one destination host.

If you are terminating a VPN connection, then for all intents and purposes, your vpn client will be 'inside' the 10.1.1.0 network and you can just use RDP to each computer in question.

the other thing you could do, is port forward 4 ports from the router, say 3389, 3390, 3388 and 3387, to each of the internal computers..

or use a TSGateway or similar solution..

what exactly are you trying to acheive ?

4. OP
    OP
    elbarto_87

elbarto_87 Member

I want to be able to remote desktop to any of the computers on my home network from an external PC over the internet.

Thank you for this, I think this is the solution I was looking for. I wasn't sure if it had to be a specific port (3389) in order for remote desktop to work.

Regards Elbarto

5. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

you should have a look @ ultraVNC

6. OP
    OP
    elbarto_87

elbarto_87 Member

Looks promising thank you. There seems to be a number of similar programs on the net that do this sort of thing. Is there any advantage to using these over the windows RDC method in terms of security etc?

7. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

i prefer UltraVNC because it's open source. I'm not sure what the go is security wise, but it seems everything blocks windows rdc, so i use ultravnc instead, it's much easier to configure.

http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?p=18578
    http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?p=865

looks like its faster.... and the people controlling the computer can see what your doing.

8. OP
    OP
    elbarto_87

elbarto_87 Member

Thank you very much for your help. Will give these a go.

Regards Elbarto

9. power

power Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  10. Trdboy

Trdboy Member

I have a windows home server box at home which lets me do that. I just log into my .homeserver.com site and from there it shows me a list of all the pc's on my network then i just pick which one i want to rdp into and enter the username and password and works great.

11. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Another solution is to use Logmein Free. It is web based & has 2 levels of authentication. We use it with many of our clients for remote access at work, since we have to talk them through installing it quite often and most of them are computer illiterate. This makes trying to forward ports on the router, when you also have to then guess at their particular routers menu config -quite- difficult.

It installs a small app that sits in the system tray & tells the site when the PC is online & available. You can turn it off or disable it from the local PC if you want.

12. seb

seb Member

My own exp is that Windows RD is noticeably faster than UltraVNC. I guess YMMV. UVNC also does file transfers.

13. wilchelus

wilchelus Member

www.teamviewer.com

I've found this to be the easiest way to do it. It's free too for personal use. No need to open up or forward ports.

Forwarding port 3389 isn't exactly safe.