XP wont detect sound blaster audigy

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by adzza, Jul 16, 2002.

1. dagnabit

dagnabit Member

argh!!! im in the same boat
    audigy on a kr7a-raid was working fine for a few months
    just yesterday had to switch it off to do some upgrades
    and then xp says that the drivers need to be reinstalled.
    so i tried and tried to get it up and running again with no luck.
    re installed xp thinking that its the problem, windows picks up the audio device but when i try to install it from audigy cd says cant find it. was able to install drivers tho but is picked up as emuk.

btw this is the second audigy card ive had and same thing happened in first one. the first time i thought maybe was faulty got it replaced, but this time i think creative is faulty!!!

are there any tricks into fooling the software to install even though it thinks that the card isnt there?

i have an sblive card but i dont want to go back to it cause the quality of audigy sound is much better. damn this crap!!
    argh!!!

2. dagnabit

dagnabit Member

i just saw this on creative site ne1 tried this?

Installation problems with the Sound Blaster Audigy

Applies to
    Sound Blaster Audigy range

Our Advice

Sometimes due to a previous installation of audio drivers, your Sound Blaster Audigy drivers may fail to install correctly. You may have incorrect entries such as EMU 10KX in your Device Manager, the software may report that the card is not installed correctly or the installation locks before full installation. If you experience these problems we recommend you do the following:

Browse the Sound Blaster Audigy CD to D:\Audio\[Language]\Drivers(D: Represents your CD-ROM drive / Language Represents your native language)
    Double click to run the file CTZAPXX.EXE
    Choose Uninstall
    Reboot your system
    Allow the Sound Blaster Audigy CD to autorun
    Follow the on-screen instructions

3. dewey

dewey Member

yea I found CTZAPXX.exe on 3 different systems... did SFA for me.

This problem is so well documented in forums all over the internet. Obviously there are plenty of people who have no problems with the audigy but I am pretty sure that its a VIA-Creative issue. The problem seems especially evident on kr7a systems but there are cases of the same problem occuring on other chipsetted boards as well.

Dewey

4. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

ha...

KR7A audigy hell

I also had a KR7A before... still havent got the card back from RMA

Hopefully all the problems are gone on this KX7-333R

5. dagnabit

dagnabit Member

make sure you post you results when you get your card back on your new motherboard

6. PappaSmurf

PappaSmurf Member

Yeah I'd be interested to know as well, although I'm SURE its Creatives fault and not VIA's

Creative couldn't make a good, consistant, compatable, working peice of hardware if their life depended on it... as far as they have shown us anyway

7. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Well, I'm one of those guys who'll dis the Audigy/extigy, mainly for Creative's "creative" advertising for the features in those cards (recording audio at 24/96, not bloody likely, try 16/48. They do have their good points, but thats not one of them) but -

I wouldn't be too sure about that. It was documented a while ago that via had/have an address on their chipsets that is marked "do not use" in the specs. Some MB makers have gone and used this regardless - making for compatability problems with soundcards in several via chipsets.

The kt133 was the first up that gave the most problems, KT133a was supposed to fix them, as were/are the newest 4-in-1 drivers (but I'm sure everyone here is familiar with that), but alas, while they work for some, they don't work for absolutely everyone, and only recently have digidesign even given support to their gear on via MBs.

The truth is, if you look through the pro recording forums, you'll find about 95% of soundcard/motherboard issues are VIA related. For everyone who says that their soundcard works with their via chipset, there's probably 7-8, even 9 who have had problems getting it running to a suitable standard.

Another soundcard I know of that seriously wouldn't install properly with VIA was the Guillemot ISIS (it would sometimes install/work ok on a cold boot, but often would give an installation error message on a warm boot).
    Have you tried your audigys on intel boards (just wondering)?

Willy.

8. dagnabit

dagnabit Member

tonight will be trying my card on a celeron system and p4 system to see if i get some results.

will post what i find. I have a feeling that my card is partly fried, but who knows. it just doenst make sense. ive been using it for months without any problems. works perfectly from first go when i bought it. yesterday i decided to shut off my pc. when i switched back on. no more sound card. its partially working. but not with the creative cd, just drivers. bah!!!!

9. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Well, tell you a story about my ISIS:

Got it, put it in my machine that night, which was a celery266@400 on an abit bx6 rev1. Isis installed, had that crap going on with cold and warm booting, and then on a reboot (the ISIS has 2 modes, an 8in4out mode, and a multimedia mode, and a reboot is required to change modes. Newer drivers have pretty much rendered the multimedia mode redundant, games work in in 8/4) - nothing....

The MB died. I rang the distributors who said "Nah mate, the isis wouldn't do that, never heard of it happening before whats happened is that your MB has had its bios scrambled".

Yeah. Right. Anyway got a new board the next day, an abit bx6rev2 (which I still use) which has been working perfectly since. I did hear of the dying motherboard happening to a few other people over the web, but there you go. I did try to replace the bios later on, but it still didn't work.

I guess the point of this post is that it might not be your SOUNDCARD that is fried....

Willy.

10. dagnabit

dagnabit Member

what you say is would make me think about that very much, as another option of what the problem might be. BUT...
    this is my second audigy card, samething happened with my first one. the diff with the first one is that when i first installed it the problem was there. the second card has been working perfectly for months till yesterday.

plus on another forum some ppl have experienced similar problems as i have and in some of those cases the sound card was fried wholly or partially.
    i tried my old sblive yesterday and no problem installed perfectly first go.

there seems to be something with the audigy card. most problems ive seen have been related to issues of network cards and audigy card having problems with each other. now im hearing that it also has issues with via chipset as well.

i dont know...

11. Chronos

Chronos Member

my audigy did this exact same thing last week at a lan! i get there, set up and turn on. no sound, device manager sees an error with the firewire device, and the card is detected as an "audigy audio processor" instead of the normal "SB Audigy". volume control says "EMU10KX" instead of "SB Audigy", and again no sound :(

thinking it was a software issue, i formatted to save time and pain. after reinstalling windows etc, my console reported the exact same problem! grrr.. :mad:

lucky odje was there. swapped mine for his straight out. my comp with his sound card worked fine first go, no probs or errors. his comp with my sound card had the exact same prob as mine was having :(. conclusion: card was damaged > sent back to creative :)

i sent it in last thursday, they said 1-2 weeks :(. ill report back when i recive the card

therefore this isnt a software issue, nor is it to do with the KR7A, but a fault in the manufacturing process itself.

12. PappaSmurf

PappaSmurf Member

Yeah but the thing is that it worked fine for weeks

Therefore - fault is somewhere within the design of both the Audigy and various motherboards... it sort of got killed somehow :eek:

13. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Sounds like a dodgy batch or something...

14. dewey

dewey Member

And then I spose it depends on where your loyalties and preference lies... I guess the VIA chipsets are kicking the pants off any other chipset manufacturers, at least on the AMD Socket A front for the moment. So with the creative/VIA issue... if u want a Creative soundcard then probably steer clear of VIA and if u want the most 'widely accepted' Socket A mobos then steer clear of creative.

It sucks but I think thats the truth - there are definitely major issues that need to be overcome.

As for the ISIS, it runs fine on my BE-6 II which has a VIA chipset. So perhaps we have another case of what works for some, screws up bigtime on others.

Dewey

EDIT: read a few posts further on in the thread and I'd like to add that my audigy worked fine for about 3 months before it screwed up after doing a system rebuild.

15. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Er, I'd check that IIWY...

Abit BE6

BE6-II v2

BE6-II

These are all apparently intel bx440 based boards, according to abit.

If your audigy worked fine on this board and then screwed up, it would start to sound like a creative problem.

BTW, which version of the ISIS do you have, the original or the XL? I heard there was a slight change between the boards. If you have an XL I would be interested in hearing what number is on the pcb.

Willy.

16. dewey

dewey Member

yea my bad.... its the 440bx.

I'm not sure which version of the ISIS it is... but its fine in the BE6-II. I'm trying to sell the ISIS if u are interested. I can find out whether its the XL or the original.

Nevertheless, the audigy fucked up after about 1 months use on my Kr7a, i then tested it on the a7v133 (via) and the BE-6 II (intel) and it worked on none of them.

Dewey

17. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Heh, nah, don't need another ISIS, you can't run 2 in the same machine and I still use mine everyday.

How does yours go in the kr7a?

Sorry about hijacking the thread. Sounds like the audigys are a little dodgey...

Willy.

18. dewey

dewey Member

I use winXP on all 3 machines now so the ISIS is in a box.

Dewey

19. KiZ

KiZ Member

I havent seen any problems with my audigy since i installed it a year ago (KR7A RAID Win98SE/Win2k), some crackling noises at one time but thats been fixed with some patches.
    I dont understand how you can fry a soundcard just by using it?
    And im running mine with 166MHz FSB/41.5 PCI, it doesnt complain a bit. :D

20. bem69

bem69 Member

I got audigy kr7a-raid problems as well. So far everything's working fine except for the fact that the pc likes to go to blue screen mode when playing games, listening mp3 and while running other programs that use the soundcard. Its annoying so I wanna go the Intel i845e way now.

You guys know if there are any issues regarding the audigy and the i845e mobos?

btw, i'm using winxp as well