1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

XPS15 vs XPS15 vs $2.5k Desktop

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Andres, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Trying to get any real life feedback on whether upgrading my ~3 year old XPS15 to a brand-spanker would yield much real world (non gaming) performance boost? And whether just going to a desktop is the way to go?

I don't game on it, but i do a bit of Autocad, Lightroom and lots of big PDF drawing files.

Current XPS15
    i7 4712 up to 3.3Ghz
    16GB ram
    Nvidia GT750M 2Gb

vs

New XPS15 - $3000ish
    i7 7700 6M cache up to 3.8Ghz
    32GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
    NVIDIA GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5

vs

$2.5k Desktop Build
    (A random ish example from PCCG)
    Intel Core i7 7700
    ASUS Prime B250M-A Motherboard
    ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB OC
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX421C14FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
    Solid State Drive: SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM006
    Power Supply: Be Quiet! Pure Power 10 500W Power Supply
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Closed Satin Black
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home USB Flash Drive

Will the new XPS be noticeably faster? Will the desktop be miles ahead? It seems like the desktop is on par (bar GPU).

2. mr626

mr626 Member

If you don't specifically need a laptop (for portability / desk space etc) then I'd choose the desktop any day of the week. More bang for you buck, easier/cheaper to repair, easier/cheaper to upgrade.

Edit: re speeds I think the new XPS or desktop would be noticeably faster. The desktop won't be miles ahead of the new XPS, but I'd choose it for the reasons already mentioned.

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

The below build is cheaper and has warranty.

Dell XPS Desktop i7-7700, GTX1070, 16GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD + 2TB HDD $1749 @ Dell

Not sure when it expires.

4. OP
    OP
    Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I have a 'tablet' style laptop for portability, but when I work for long stints interstate I take the XPS - so it has some benefits. (not a straight answer I know!). Interesting that the XPS is similar to the desktop though.

Cheers - will check it out

5. akashra

akashra Member

I bought an XPS15 this time last year. The one thing I hugely regret is getting a 4k panel. Quite simply, Windows isn't ready for it. Not enough apps are designed with resolution independence in mind - even the native dialogs have all kinds of issues. On a 15" touch screen, this issue is compounded.

I'd recommend considering this if that's a spec of the XPS15 you're looking at.

Also, mine has a 960m in it. Calling it a 960 is misleading trickery by nVidia I gotta say. If you expect similar performance to a desktop 960, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

As far as the CPU - there's bugger-all difference between current CPUs. My Ultrabook was a i5 4x series (can't recall what model) and in CPU terms, there's no noticable difference between the i5 4xxx and the i7 6600 in my XPS for the tasks it does (software dev, mostly) once you're running an SSD.

Hope that helps.

6. Dav1th

Dav1th Member

The 4K panel is pretty spectacular in terms of colours / contrast etc though, easily the best PC screen I've seen even next to my ultrasharp displays.

Keep an eye on the Dell DFO portal (www.dell.com.au/dfo) as they clear out cancelled orders / refurbished (generally as new) models on there cheaply. EG the $3k spec (16gb/512gb/4k/1050) seems to get listed around $2100-$2200 if as new (cancelled orders never opened) and around $1700-$1800 for refurbished which will generally be like new also.

I recently picked up an XP15 9560 from the DFO portal and it was brand new for a huge discount over "new" The desirable ones seem to sell VERY quickly though, I was refreshing the page for 2 weeks before the one I wanted popped up listed in a batch with half a dozen and they were sold out within a few hours

7. Turbine

Turbine Member

The big gains will be the m.2 drive interface in the new XPS.

I have the Precision cousin to the new XPS and it's great.

8. skymist

skymist Member

I have been looking at an XPS 15 as a replacement for my Macbook Air as I'm wanting to do a bit more CAD work and my 2014 Macbook Air isn't too suitable for that.

There is an XPS 15 i7-6700 8gb ram 256gb ssd on the dell outlet for $1400 which looks pretty tasty at the moment.

9. OP
    OP
    Andres

Andres Motor Admin

That's certainly something I was wondering... Is it thermal throttling do you think, or simply not the same hardware?

It's nice having a grunty laptop (I'm 'working' at the moment at the kitchen table which has a nicer view / near the family) but the tinkerer/nerd inside me still likes the idea of a whiz-bang desktop.

I probably should just do a fresh install of windows on my current XPS and see if that gives it a new lease of life. And apparently the SSD in them has some fundamental issue that requires them to be 'refreshed' every so often.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19621819

10. wwwww

wwwww Member

If you have a small 4K monitor, you just need to set the DPI under display settings. This fixes almost every Windows program (RDP is the only one that I've found has issues with this).

11. akashra

akashra Member

I doubt that.

In real-world improvement, you're rarely going to notice the difference between m2/sata and m2/nvme. Sure, if you're writing massive files consecutively in large chunks you might notice the difference, but for anything less than a few hundred MB at a time, we're talking differences of well under fractions of a second difference at peak performance. nvme is currently still a special edge-case with very small returns.

I have seen nothing behavior wise to indicate it's throttled in any way - this certainly appears to be simply design characteristics of the chipset and hardware.

My desktop if a 6700/16GB/1070. This XPS is a 6700HQ/16GB/960m. All with the exception that I only have 500GB of space on the notebook (vs 2x500/1x250/1x120/3TB in the desktop) you wouldn't know the difference for software development purposes. The 960m is certainly slower than my 750Ti was though.

12. Turbine

Turbine Member

Apologies, thought the older XPS 15 laptops used 2.5" SATA SSDs.

13. aceofdaves

aceofdaves Member

I just bought myself a refurbished XPS 15 in a fleaBay sale. I did a whole lot of reading beforehand. There are some crazy thorough threads about the real life performance, thermal throttling and fixes HERE: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/dell-xps-and-studio-xps.1049/

Then again, if you've been researching the hard drive in your own XPS, you might have come across the thread already :cool: