1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Xtreme Cooled Case Gallery

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by spikes, Aug 17, 2007.

1. danielvh

danielvh Member

Ok, since everyone seems so concerned about airflow to all the exhaust fans on the rads, here’s what I’ll do to confirm if it’s an issue or not.

In the next day or two I’ll compare load temps and fan speeds with the front glass panel on and off. I’ll report back with results.

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Only if you want to. Don't do it to please OCAU.

Im sure temps are fine and with that much rad the difference would be so minor.

3. dasa2

dasa2 Member

If you do take the time to test it for our curiosity set the fans to a fixed speed around what you consider acceptably loud then load up the CPU with prime and the GPU with something equally demanding at the same time then let it run for a hour so that large thermal mass gets nice and hot then remove the front panel and see if CPU\GPU temps drop over the next 30min.

Prime95 can have a fair variance in load temperatures unless you lock in a custom setting of say 48k min\max ftt size with 0mb memory usage.

Edit: it does look like it can draw more air from behind the MB than I first thought which would help a bit.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  4. danielvh

danielvh Member

OK, I've done some testing. Let me know what you guys think.

Setup notes:
    • Control scenario was all case panels on and fans running at max (2000rpm).
    • Test scenario was front panel off and fans running at max (2000rpm).
    • Note that the 3000rpm "fan" you see monitored in the photos is the water pump.
    • This will test the hypothesis that the radiator fans may be choked by a lack of airflow given they are all running in exhaust. What it won't directly test is whether having the fans on the bottom radiator as intake is a better setup as that has its own downside of potentially feeding the top radiator with already heated air.
    • The CPU was running at 4.9GHz all core with an AVX offset of 1.
    • The GPU was running at a Core speed of 2.1GHz and memory speed of 8.1GHz and the power limit/core voltage sliders set to max in MSI Afterburner.
    • Ambient was 23 degrees c.
    • Test software used was OCCT 5.5.1 running the "power" test which combines CPU loading using AVX2 instruction set with GPU loading using a test similar to furmark.
    • Control scenario was to run this load for 30mins and check temps, ensuring that temps had settled.
    • Then, without stopping the test, the front panel was taken off and the test left to run for a further 30mins to check temps, also ensuring that the temps had settled.
    Control scenario:
    • OCCT power test running for 30mins.
    • CPU temps settled at 94-95 degrees.
    • GPU temps settled at 45-46 degrees.
    Test scenario:
    • Without stopping OCCT, front panel taken off and load allowed to run for a further 30mins.
    • CPU temps settled at 92-93 degrees. A drop of approximately 2 degrees.
    • GPU tempts settled at 44-45 degrees. A drop of approximately 1 degree.
    Conclusions:
    • Additional air intake capacity does improve cooling performance, but the difference isn't large.
    • For my purposes, this test doesn't push me to try setting my bottom radiator fans to intake as, while that may get the ~2 degree benefit from better airflow pattern, the downside of feeding the top radiator with heated air may either partially or fully override that benefit.
    Photos:
    • First photo is after 30mins into the control scenario and the second is after 30mins into the test scenario. Note that the timer is set to countdown from 2 hours, hence why there is a greater number on the 1st photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  5. danielvh

danielvh Member

Couple other notes:
    • With all panels on, I can feel air being drawn in from the slits in the aluminium side panel behind the distro.
    • CPU temp in prime95 running FTT min-max of 14 is 80 degrees.
    • CPU temp running Cinebench R20 is 70 degrees. I see this as a more realistic indication of the max temps the system will generally run at.

6. danielvh

danielvh Member

7. heller44

heller44 Member

The reasoning for that is the cooler air coming in from the rear is flowing over the vrm's, ram, and m2 drives.

I just finished setting up a 680x and preferred to have the opposite flow as to continue using the inbuilt filters.

Doesn't matter which way you do it, as long as you are happy. Pretty nice setup.

8. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Full album with a few extra pics
    https://imgur.com/a/zESxHng

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k
    Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix z390i
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance pro 16gbx2 3200mhz
    Video Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080 ti Waterforce WB
    Case: Antec Striker
    PSU: corsay sf650
    Cooling: Corsair Hydro X XD5 (Res/pump) Phanteks c360i CPU block barrow fittings

g00ie, Rupet2019, Phong2209 and 10 others like this.
  9. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

dANiel_ likes this.
  10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep, beautiful. You would think though, that white is fucking white right? It's taken a long time to get RGBW LEDs into things - too long if you ask me, but I'm grumpy today.

Bolter01 and dANiel_ like this.
  11. Pazzu

Pazzu Member

I was looking at that antec striker case yesterday and thought how mad it looks, top stuff mate

dANiel_ likes this.
  12. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

Looks really similar in real life than the photos, I i think my phone does some processing that make the whites look really different. But you're right most of the different brand RGB white look slightly different. It's actually pretty annoying lmao

juzz86 likes this.
  13. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Holy cow thats a neat build sir. Nice Quality photos too

dANiel_ likes this.
  14. bobbavet

bobbavet Member

Nice Mate.

Yeh I am getting the itch to do a new mod build and this case has been nagging at me since release.
    Got me some ideas, so might have to scratch that itch. But @ 375, fmd. lol
    I just sold some wood working gear so maybe.

Have you got some pics of the back rad set up? How the ports sit etc?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    dANiel_ likes this.
  15. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

I'll take a few later tonight when I'm home :)

https://www.centrecom.com.au/antec-...G8iyHuyQeDYUq7Phu8eSvd8BS3GtSmggaAq6FEALw_wcB
    $329 with free delivery from centrecom

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    bobbavet likes this.
  16. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

https://imgur.com/a/vPjZwgj

The back rad basically just mounts onto the rear of the case. rad can can fit inside the case, and the fans sit outside if you want (but i put the fans inside because the cat sleeps in the computer room and hell prob get his head stuck in the fans or something)
    let me know if you need more details, or have any questions feel free to pm me if you need :)
    Hope the pics are ok, please ignore the now extremely obnoxious rgb :)

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The pics are great, and provided the RGB is static with those colors, it works well. 10/10 for this build, I love it.

Is there any dust filtration at all? I'm not a fan of heavy filtration, I believe many filters are too fine and actually constrict performance of fans, but reasonably open filters can catch the worst of it, albeit at the cost of the case needing a little more maintenance.

Given the very open nature of that case, I guess you'll be cleaning it weekly anyway, so I doubt lack of filtration will be an issue, just curious.

18. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

There is no included dust filtration, i have some dust filters but i didnt end up using them because i forgot :( Well see how it is in a few weeks/months but it seems pretty hard to clean the middle rad just because its wedged in the middle of the machine

19. bobbavet

bobbavet Member

Thanks for the pics mate. Yeah just wanted to see how the ports landed at the back. Tossing up between 2 slims or just one thick at the back of mobo with a push pull.
    Also thanks for that Centrecom link. Weird it didn't show up on static ice.
    See how you went up and over the case bar with the fittings. Do you think soft tubing would go through underneath that bar? Oh just seen another view, it will. Nice. Also interested in the distance between the tempered glass and case panels.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. bobbavet

bobbavet Member

Just bought it. Too good a price. Got some work to do to it before the build. I had a good experience with vinyl wrap for my Core P3, hoping to give this the same treatment.
    I might start a mod blog. I've done about 5 of them but didn't do one for my P3.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020