XWVM - X-Wing high def mod

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by DonutKing, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

[​IMG]

http://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

A bunch of German dudes are making a high def mod for the original X-Wing PC game.
    It's very early days and not yet playable, but it looks really sexy.

According to the site, it will work with all 3 versions of the game (DOS floppy, DOS CD, windows CD) and will include the iMUSE music system (which is the biggest omission from the Windows CD version).

I'm really excited about this, I loved X-Wing (and TIE Fighter), I hope this project comes through and doesn't end up vaporware.

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  2. Copie

Copie Member

Going to be watching this with great interest

3. badmofo

badmofo Member

Those German nerds are always up to something cool, bless 'em.

That does look pretty amazing but I must say it's not the retro graphics that turns me off X-Wing these days, it's the actual game-play. I loved it as a kid, but don't have the patience anymore sadly.

4. adz

adz Member

I played TIE Fighter before I played X-Wing and was hugely let down by the graphics in the latter. The first time I saw a Nebulon B Class Frigate I had a bit of a WTF moment as it looked terrible when compared to what I had become used to in TIE Fighter. The re-release with the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter engine improved the graphics, but neither game felt the same. If this eventuates, I may give X-Wing a proper revisit.

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Disney will catch wind of this and will probably shut it down.

6. shredder

shredder Member

TIE Fighter added Gouraud shading which greatly smoothed the polygons compared with X-Wing.

Must have been awesome with a Roland for the music. Even with an SB it was great to have that classic score driven by the dynamic imuse system - amazing atmosphere.

7. OP
    OP
    DonutKing

DonutKing Member

The Windows version of X-Wing and Tie Fighter (I believe called the 'Collector's Edition' - as opposed to the DOS 'Collector's CD-ROM') were re-releases of the original DOS games, adding textured 3D models but losing the dynamic iMUSE soundtrack, and some of the interstitial cut-scenes (eg R2 getting lowered into your fighter before taking off).

Instead of iMUSE you simply had the star wars theme or imperial march etc looping from the CD redbook audio.

IMHO the better graphics don't make up for the loss of atmosphere from the missing iMUSE soundtrack.

X-wing vs TIE Fighter - IMHO was all around a disappointment as it was geared towards multiplayer, when most of my friends didn't have modems, let alone playable pings. It lost a lot of the charming minor touches of the original games.

8. MajorParts

MajorParts New Member

Hi all.
    Firstly, I would like to point out that we aren't a bunch of German dudes :D We are very much multi-national, but do have some Germans on the team.
    iMuse has been in place since the beginning of the project and gets better all the time.
    Disney have had the best part of 3 years to tell us to pack it in, but they haven't. They probably realise we will potentially be making them a bit more cash :)
    If you didn't know, we also have an active facebook page. Several videos have been posted since the one the above screenshot is from and I uploaded a new one myself yesterday that is....a bit different ;)

9. OP
    OP
    DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Apologies, the site I saw this on first said it was a German team.
    Great work so far, really looking forward to playing it :)

10. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Definitely keeping track of this now!

11. Mr_Crudley

Mr_Crudley Member

This could be awesome. X-Wing was one of the best. I'm in.