Yamaha AVX-100 Amp. Help Pls

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Khattura, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Khattura

Khattura Member

G'day all,
    Just scored myself a Yamaha AVX-100 and am trying to test it with my current speakers before going out and buying a set to go with it. The problem is I can't get the sound to work unless I plug the output from my dvd player into the output on the amp?? And when I do this I have no control over the volume, the volume knob has no effect.
    It has umpteen inputs for both video and sound(stereo) from tuner, tv, 2x vcr, 2x Cd player, 2x Tape deck, Phono and Aux but there is no sound from any of them. I can get video from all of the video inputs however.
    What am I doing wrong? I don't have a manual and google hasn't turned up any for download, so I'm stuck.

2. Volenti

Volenti Member

Is there a group of 4 rca sockets labeled as "coupler" on the back?, my AX-592 amp has them, the little bridges may be missing, you can use a normal short set of rca's to couple them if so.

3. OP
    OP
    Khattura

Khattura Member

No nothing labelled as coupler. Just a heap of inputs, then 5 pairs of audio rca outputs and two monitor rca outputs. It also has terminals for four speakers, which are separate to the rca outs.

4. Sm00thY

Sm00thY Member

My AX-700 has a small section in the bottom left (looking at rear) labelled "Accessory" with heavy white lines between both sets of RCA's. This is my pre-out to main amp in connection. When I bought this amp (several years ago now), I was also missing the links mentioned above and used RCA cables until I was able to get the originals.

There are no buttons on the front like "CD DIRECT" or "MUTING" that could be affecting the input?
    I assume that you have tried all the different inputs, including any AUX you may have on the front?

5. OP
    OP
    Khattura

Khattura Member

There is an indicator for mute, which is off. Nothing like "CD-Direct" either. Yes I tried all the inputs including the aux one. I took it back to the store to see if they could get it going and they had no luck either, despite insisting they had it working before. I've left it with them to sort out, either figure it out or send it to their techie to look for a problem.
    In the meantime they lent me a very nice cambridge amp, so I'm happy to just wait for them to work it out ;)

Can you explain what these couplers are for? They connect sets of rca plugs?
    If you need to have them connected for the amp to work why do they bother putting rca plugs on the outside, why not just have the connections on the inside with no rca plugs?

6. Volenti

Volenti Member

The couplers are (electrically) inbetween the pre-amp and output amp, they let you add an external line level equalizer or processor, with overall volume still controlled by the main amp.

7. OP
    OP
    Khattura

Khattura Member

Oh ok, thanks for that.
    How do you find your AX-592 Volenti? What about your AX-700 Sm00thy?
    I was quite impressed with the output I did manage to get, although extremely loud there was no distortion that I could detect. Bear in mind that all I have to compare it with is a 1970's Sansui Sp-2000 set-up and my parents NAD amp and cd player, coupled with some nameless speakers.

8. Volenti

Volenti Member

I'm very satisifed with mine, had it for years, never once had I felt that the amp was lacking in the power that I was asking of it.

9. Sm00thY

Sm00thY Member

My AX-700 was the first "real" amp I bought and I still keep it, mainly for sentimental reasons, but also as the sound system in the bedroom. 2 x 100W sounded like a nice number to get me started and had plenty of power to get the house rocking.
    At the time I bought this amp there were receivers etc around, but I was only interested in stereo sound and had no desire for home theatre. I'm pretty sure that was my first Yamaha purchase and I have made a few more since then. A Dolby unit replaced the AX-700 and that was traded in a little while ago for a RX-V1000.
    Yamaha works for me for components :)

As well as inline units, the coupler links can let you use a seperate power amp(s) - if the need arises.

10. Sm00thY

Sm00thY Member

I was getting some info for a friend who can't drive her new Yamaha remote (no she is not blonde, but sometimes I wonder....)   and happened to stumble across the download section for manuals.

Have a look here and there is your manual :)

Or get it direct from here

Hope this helps if you are still having problems?

11. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Hmmm... Am I the only one who's thinking dodgy thoughts? :confused:
    From a friend of a friend of a friend? Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more. :p