Yamaha RX-V667 vs Pioneer VSX-520

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by afcca, Dec 31, 2010.

1. afcca

afcca Member

Hey guys,

Firstly let me address I do know the massive price difference. The VSX is around $250 mark and the Yamaha is over $600.
    I've been shopping around for a system for a few days now and Ultimately landed on a 5.1 Sherwood speaker set (unfortunately I don't have a model number to post but will get one ASAP) and that leaves me deciding on the amp.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth paying the extra to get the Yamaha. HDMI pass-through is something I am looking for for sure, and I can't find on the Pioneer site whether the VSX has it.
    I've read a heap of stuff on here about the Yamaha and love idea of it (the speakers were running off a 567 in the shop) so I am leaning towards it, but just don't know if it's worth spending that much on it.

Any thoughts?

2. samo

samo Member

for starters the RX-V667 will do video upconversions of SD content. Not sure where you are getting pricing from but currently JB's have the VSX-520 at $465? The RX-V667 is about $1000 RRP. The RX-V567 may be a good option, it does upscaling as well and only $899. Naturally these RRP prices can be bargained down but I dont think you will be getting a VSX-520 for around $250.. happy to be proven wrong though.

from the VSX-520 product page

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  4. The_Lukester1

The_Lukester1 Member

Read in a review somewhere that the Pioneer doesn't have analogue to digital conversion, so analogue inputs (component etc.) wont pass through the hdmi cable to the tv. You'll still have to run a component out to the TV as well as hdmi.

Bit of a downer having to switch inputs on the tv if you have a mix of hdmi + non-hdmi equipment.

5. tailspin

tailspin Member

6. pongie

pongie Member

What the difference between the previous x19 models to the current x20 models?

7. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

I managed to get the 667 down to $740 so grabbed it. I did look on the pioneer online store but it was less about those more about if it was worth paying the extra, which I decided in the long run is probably worth it as I don't really have to upgrade to anything if I want to improve my system

8. connormmii

connormmii Member

V667 is a nice amp. I have one running 7.2 Blu rays encoded in 7.1 sound incredible especially SE7EN