1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Year 2000 - Ultimate 3DFX Machine Build

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by SWZSSR, Jun 26, 2018.

1. SWZSSR

SWZSSR Member

1. Welcome

Hi guys

My name is Declan from Adelaide. It's my first time posting on here, yet alone posting a build log! This is my Year 2000 Build with a few modern parts to improve performance and reliability. I have another 11 builds in progress, I'm a very large collector of old computer gear and can't wait to share my adventures!

So let's get to it!

2. The Specs
    CPU: Currently Dual Pentium 3 450mhz Slot 1. Later Dual 1,4ghz Tualatins on Modified MSI Slot-keys
    Motherboard: Intel OR840
    Ram: 2GB PC-800 Rambus. Four 512MB Sticks
    Soundcard: Diamond Monster Sound MX-300
    SATA Controller: Promise SATA300 TX4
    HDD OS: Kingston 60GB SSD
    HDD Storage: 500GB WD Blue

3. Acquiring the Parts

The Motherboard
    First on the list was to acquire a OR840. This is a legendary board between 1999-2000 with AGP4X, I840 Chipset, and Rambus Support. It was even used in the Maximum PC - Dream Machine 2000! After seeing a friends OR840 build (silvercr from Vogons) I messaged him and found out he had a spare. I brought his IBM OR840 board along with Two MSI Slotkeys that have been modified by him. After a few weeks the board and slotkeys arrived (Massive thanks to silvercr from Vogons)

[​IMG]

Finding the Ram

Luckily I had the ram already from a Intel D850 board I got back in 2011. This was a $80 ebay buy from America!. 2GB of Rambus back in 2000 would be well over $1800AUD!

[​IMG]

Finding a Case

This was a hard decision for me. The original plan was to use my Addtronics 7896 but after discovering that the power supply has no aux, let alone being quite old I couldn't trust it with this build. So after poking around on facebook for a week, I found a cheap fractal design case on the market place for $50. 20 Minute drive later, I now have a case

Photo from the marketplace ad

[​IMG]

Finding the SATA Controller \ HDDs
    Finding a decent sata controller was the next step. I original planned to use an adaptec scsi controller with a few cheetah drives. But due to the age of drives these days they all start to become noisey and unreliable. I settled on using a cheap ssd and a good hdd with decent speeds. I searched on ebay and found that promise made a bootible SATAII 300 controller. I ordered two from a ebay store and paid around $20AUD Posted.

The 500GB HDD and SATA SSD were brought from a local gumtree ad!

[​IMG]

Finding the Voodoo 5500
    So how did I find my Voodoo 5? back in 2012 I was searching ebay and found this listing which stated dual chip agp graphic cards. I had a quick look on the internet and discovered it was a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500. I recall hearing about Voodoos as a kid but never knew about the 5500. I decided to buy it for $80. Few weeks later I tried it in a basic pentium 3 system. After launching a game (Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crsis) the computer crashed than artifact'd terribly. I quickly rebooted it and now the bios post is artifatcing. This was a very sad moment. After 6 years of having it sit around, I decided to try it again which still resulted in artifacts. I had a look on ebay for another and noticed they have sky rocketed in prices. The dream of finding a working one was very low now. After a bit more searching I found a ebay listing that does upgrades and repairs to Voodoo 5s. His name is Oschkar. I did a bit of reading about him on forums and other posts and found out its best to email him directly and get it fixed rather than ebay due to the high fees. I sent him a email and than sent the card off for repairs. After 2 weeks he got it and found the issue straight away. One of the ram chips on the backside died, he replaced it and stress tested the card for several days and it was now working flawless! The total ended up being $100 AUD to fix it and post it back to me.

[​IMG]

Finding the Soundcard
    A must for 3DFX Glide is A3D 2.0. The best possible 3D Positioning Audio made for gaming. I luckily already had the MX-300 for several years like my 5500. The story to how I found it is quite interesting. back in 2008-2012 I helped my schools IT Technician. In the back room was 60+ desktops. Pentium 1 / 2 / 3 etc. I always had a interest in AT cases and saw this baby at case sitting under a bench of newer systems. After pulling it out, I opened it up and found the monster sound inside. Back than I didn't know much about them and decided to keep it as the entire lot of these systems were being scrapped in a few weeks. Now today i'm finally using it.

[​IMG]

Finding the CPUs
    Due to the modifications to have Two 1.4ghz Tualatins in a OR840. I needed unmodified 1.4ghz SL6BY Tualatins chips. I found some on ebay that weren't the modified Korean chips and ordered four. After 6 weeks I still haven't received anything. I checked ebay and noticed the tracking stopped in Kentucky, US 4 weeks ago. I messaged the seller and they advised to wait 2 weeks and than contact them for a refund. After 2 weeks nothing arrived still, I messaged the seller and Pitney Bowes which resulted in being re-funded the full amount... :(

I am now without cpus for the slot adapters. So I decided to use Two slot 1 450mhz Pentium 3s for now!

Will be posting the build progress in the next few days

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Dual P3s with RDRAM? Wanton extravagance.
    I'm a little jealous :)

What OS are you running?

adz and SWZSSR like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    SWZSSR

SWZSSR Member

I am deciding between NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 SP4. The MX-300 is known to have average drivers for W2K / NT 4.0, I sadly cannot use Windows 98 due to the lack of Dual Processor Support. So hopefully I can have some luck with the Diamond MX-300, if not I will switch over to a trusty Terratec 6fire 24/96

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I ran Win 2000 Pro for a while back in the day on an Athlon XP - until about XP SP1 came out IIRC. I was quite happy with it, handled gaming etc quite well so it gets my vote.

SWZSSR likes this.
  5. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Very nice build, lots of awesome gear going into that machine - especially that OR840/RDRAM! If you're applying a strict Y2K limit then CuMines (1.1GHz/100 or 1GHz/133) would be your fastest CPUs though ;)

My vote also goes to Win 2K Pro :thumbup: you should be able to run Win98, subject to drivers, only the second CPU won't be seen.

SWZSSR likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    SWZSSR

SWZSSR Member

Thankyou!

I feel i should just max the board out. Even though 1.4s were released in 2002-2003 there was far better processors than. 1.4s should’ve came out earlier :(

Win2K is what im going to use I think!

JidaiGeki likes this.
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

Very nice! The Vortex2 is all well and good but tell us more about that Roland daughterboard you snuck in there - recent pickup?

8. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Damn thats cheap!

Did you get the faster memory?

I was looking at those mods seems appealing to have a badass Voodoo but very expensive, might send him a message.

9. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

Looks like an SCB-55 which is basically an SC-55mkII with a WaveBlaster compatible header.

I still have mine in a closet somewhere!

10. Vanne

Vanne Member

Awesome build, very similar to my old BEoS box build a bunch of years back. Yeah 2k is the best to run for that board. Thanks for the heads up about the bloke who fixes the 5500. ;)
    Standing by for more awesomeness.

11. Shags

Shags Member

What a beast - IIRC Win2k supports Dual Booting with Win98 if you install Win98 first - I'm sure that's what i resorted to to play Interstate 86 with my MS Force Feedback wheel at the time, which wasn't supported in 2k :)

12. power

power Member

do this, always install the older OS first.