Yet Another Home Network Setup Request

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BelowAverageIQ, Nov 13, 2018.

1. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

First of all, sorry for another thread.

Secondly thank you in advance for the information and ideas. OCAU has always helped in the past with information. You guys are awesome.

Finally getting FTTP. Installed and just awaiting for the QI process to be completed. To say I am excited is an understatement.

Getting house hard wired in every room, with the TV room having 3 outlets. 12 outlets in total and using cat6 cable.

2 lengths of cable for wireless access points. One towards the front, the other towards the rear. House is approximately 140m2

Rated cabler to do the install including:

Cabinet 9RU (was happy with 6RU, but he said its worth going bigger.
    Patch panel (24 port)
    Shelf
    Power strip.

FTTP NTD located right next to it.

Was thinking Ubiquiti AC Lite WAPs
    Probably a 24 port switch (does not need to be managed), not sure if I need POE
    Need a decent router - Ubiquiti? How many ports?

Thinking of adding a 4 and or 8 security camera as well in the future, when more funds allow.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ubiquiti-networks-unifi-us24-24port-gigabit-switch-ac02669
    switch

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ubiquiti-networks-uapaclite-80211ac-dualradio-access-point-ab73108
    WAP

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ub...y-gateway-pro-enterprise-4port-router-ab85296
    router

Overkill? We stream netflix, have fetch tv, usual laptops and phones. All desktops will be using the hard points. No file sharing or major networking etc.

Not sure how many ports a router actually needs? Happy to look at other brands for router and switch, but prefer the Ubiquiti WAPs.

Thanks again.

Cheers

BIQ

2. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

HP 1820-24G-POE+ [J9983A] 24-Port Switch its cheaper than ubnt and....well.... its a HP

as for router, if you have one switch you only need one LAN port and a WAN port.
    try ubnts new ER4, or 6, but beware any of ubnts routers switch ports are soft switches, use them as a router with diff networks to each port you're fine, but you'll have a serious impact if you use them like a normal switch, I recommend the newer ER4/6 purely for throughput, its almost double the ER-pro model. throughput as backplane and pps is more important on a router than pretty much anything else
    the edgerouter series is the better way to go to, far more flexible with feature sets than the unifi range.
    alternatively you could look at a pfsense box.

As for the AP, I've never been a big fan of these saucers... if you have an old adsl wifi modem router, the wifi will likely perform much better.
    my old dlink 604 wifi has 3 times the range of those external antenna-less flying saucers :) and they are all rated to the same power level.

As for security cameras, check out reolink. I know ubiquiti seems to be a buzz word amongst some forums, but they are not that crash hot when you look at all the competition. like who hte hell makes switches and routers that boot off an internal USB drive FFS... Ok... I know ubnt have learned that lesson and are changing some models away from that design, but not all models...

3. elh9

elh9 Member

I installed an AC-PRO the other day and I'm liking it, I've noticed better performance than my previous two combo units, one provided by isp and one of my own (lower end tp-link).
    @OP I've heard the AC-Lites are not worth purchasing, go the Long Range or the PRO

4. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Nobby6 and elh9 thank you both for your replies. I have decided at this stage on the following:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Routers/71353-ER-4
    Edge Router 4

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/55583-ES-24-250W-AU
    Switch 24 port POE

Was thinking the Nano HD for the WAP?
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/72392-UAP-nanoHD

Worth it over the Pro?
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/74036-UAP-AC-Pro-AUv2

Will go with 1 WAP for now and will add the second as needed.

The switch is POE on all 24 ports and 802.3af/at the PRO WAP is af/at where as the Nano HD is only af..............

Cheers

BIQ

5. chip

chip Member

What's made you decide on the Edgeswitch? You'll be paying a more for the L3 functionality that it doesn't seem like you'll need. If it's POE budget, that HP mentioned earlier has enough in its 185W power budget to drive a pair of UAP-AC-Pros (9 watts each) and 4-8 reasonable quality fixed video cameras (8-12 watts each).

6. money_killer

money_killer Member

You just need a 4-bay Nas now

7. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

A what? Just kidding. Most probably down the track. Security camera's first.

I changed my order. Although I really appreciate the help and guidance offered, with my limited knowledge of networking, decided to go with the UniFi 24 port PoE switch and the USG Pro 4 router. Still overkill for me as such, but probably easier to implement and manage.

Thank you again for your time and help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

BIQ

8. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

The Nano for home usage, and most businesses wont give you any more benefit.
    Funny you mention that because Chris of crosstalk released a video today on that very thing

You'll see that for home, the pro is just as good, and cheaper

9. Copie

Copie Member

The UniFi single pane is very very good and easy to manage. And yes you want the pro if you plan to run IDS/IPS

10. Copie

Copie Member

Id also reccomend the new Unifi gen 2 cloud key that supports a 2.5inch HDD. Mainly because it also supports NVR/Protect

11. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

G'Day Copie, I love your avatar! What a hansom young cockatiel :)

Thank you for your replies. I did in fact order and received today the UniFi Gen 2 plus cloud key! Also received the Nano HD AP as well. Should get the switch and router on Monday. Unfortunately the cable guy cannot start next week, he has told me the week after.

Will be looking at adding G3 camera's into the mix at a later point. Been wanting to get security cameras now for a while. Hopefully it should all come together!

Cheers

BIQ

12. koopz

koopz Member

amen

most of our techs are now 50/50 guys and girls for IT and NBn project work.

it BOGGLES my mind that our people seem to be incapable of putting themselves in the EU's shoes.

I'm thankful that NBN is ditching the dead wood atm

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

All cabled and set up. Thanks again everyone.

[​IMG]

treblid, TheWedgie and 8MadDog8 like this.
  14. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Looks nice!

15. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

How are you funding the Unifi Universal Gateway? How do you find the reporting it provides?

16. Copie

Copie Member

Looks good, only suggestion is a 1RU UPS for uninterrupted internet/networking if the power goes down.

17. Zee

Zee Member

For me, I don't really find it very useful for home, but having an all Unifi setup at a client's place, or at the office makes my life easier. The reporting isn't quite as detailed as I'd like for the office (yeah, I know people are playing WoW, watching Youtube or Netflix etc, but it doesn't tell me who), but what I do find handy, is using the Unifi switches, and I can check for issues.

Foureggsample, right now, I have a small hotel with 10 AP's I set up a month ago, and the NBN guy was there this morning hooking up their new service. I can see the AP for room 4 is down, though it is powered up (I can see that it is drawing power via POE - but there is no network traffic being reported). I suspect the NBN guy may have nudged something, but whatever, I gave the client a call and am going there this afternoon to sort it out.

That makes my life easy, and makes me look fucking awesome to the client.

At home, though, I prefer to run a Mikrotik RB3011, dumb gigabit POE switch (Netgear GS110TP or something), and 3 AP AC Pro's with a Cloud Key.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Cloud Key V2's run, it seems like 1/3 of the V1 cloud keys I have deployed do not communicate with the cloud for some reason or another at any given time, though I suspect it's related to non-static IP addresses by the provider...

Z...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  18. chip

chip Member

how well does it go when the NTD's not connected to the router?

19. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Glad someone noticed. A bit of pre connection photos. Worked ok in that I had just disconnected the FTTN modem from the setup and was just about to hook up the NTD.

Actually using the SFP ports to connect the router and switch now as well.

[​IMG]

G'Day Copie, already looking at them, although no idea what brand or capacity is ok. Just enough to keep things going for a while would be great. Probably get that first and then some IP camera's.

20. Copie

Copie Member

I use eaton UPS units and they work well enough, the whole rack is only going to draw around 100w inc the NTD so something that can support that power usage for say 20min would be more then enough