1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another question about a studio setup: Audio Interfaces

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Raykay, Apr 24, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Cool no probs, still looking at the Tascam, although I would be lacking USB ports on a macbook pro if I were to get one.

2. insidahdev

insidahdev Member

Hi, Sorry to come in late to the story...

I currently use a line mixer for all my inputs (synths, etc) and then output that to my audio interface device (Lexicon OMEGA).
    I find that this free's up a lot of line's at the back of my audio interface. I've output XLR from the mixer straight to the audio interface, which even saves more channels. I can then dual output, from either the audio interface, or the line mixer, to wherever I want (that is, if I have a singer, and I want them to be able to hear themselves). I have also connected it to external audio gear, such as a hifi system, and I can listen to that again, so ultimately, I can hear my audio at 4 stages; my KRK reference speaker/monitors, a headphone out on my audio interface, a headphone out on my line mixer, and a headphone out and speakers on my hifi system. This generally helps me when I master my work, so I can get an idea of levelling, and getting the right balance of the frequency spectrum.

So yeah, get yourself an audio interface with at least 4 line inputs, and a line mixer. Plug in your gear to the mixer, then output the mixer to your audio interface, of which your audio interface will usb link to your pc, and also output (via XLR or 6.35mm unbalanced) to your reference monitors (speakers)

cheers

3. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Thanks for the advice, the problem I see is if I don't get a good mixer, I might be sacrificing sound quality as well.

Do have any recomendations for brands?

4. insidahdev

insidahdev Member

Rane is a pretty good brand for mixers, if you got the cash - check out the RANE TTM57 mixer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF8zu4ac-rg

This is a clip from Beardyman.. it's pretty good. He uses Serato, which Rane natively supports.

Just google RANE TTM57 demo for more videos

I hope this helps your quest to find a good mixer.

5. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

That specific model looks like its geared towards DJ's which got me worried.

Would that mixer be similar to say a behringer xenyx?? Just trying to get an understanding for if there are different types of mixers.

6. insidahdev

insidahdev Member

hahaha!! i really should have read the topic first- I thought I was replying to another thread, where someone wanted a setup for digital dj'ing... apologies there, and please disregard.

ok, so a studio mixer... it really comes down to 3 main factors:
    1. money
    2. how much gear you want to plug in
    3. sound quality

if you have a budget of about $400 you could check out Allen and Heath's ZED10FX mixer, which suits a few line in's, but if u up that to about $700, you can get the ZED12FX which will give some more inputs (i believe 6 lines unbalanced/3 stereo). This is probably the best option for a beginner who still wants to maintain good sound quality and be able to connect up several devices. I believe it has a USB in/out, but this could be an attachment box which sends a channel of data to the computer back and forth, rather than act as an audio interface as such. I have this on my Behringer, but never used it.

Look, if I had enough money to get a mixer for my studio, I would be getting a Mackie 1604 VLZ3... its a high quality mixer that supports 16 line in's and the internals are fantastic. I would probably be lucky enough to fill half of this unit with my gear, so that would leave me plenty more room to increase my synths, drum machines, instruments (mics and guitars, etc) and the like.

So ultimately, it comes down to cash. I could go on for a while about mixers. I have a Behringer Xenyx1204FX which does the job. Sound isnt really too much of an issue here, as I run processors on the inputs (i use Propellerheads Record). Have a look at some of the Record video clips on youtube, and you will see how people can shape their audio by running effects over their line ins (a good way to change the sounds of guitars and singers).

Is there anything else I havent covered? I hope this answers your question about mixers.

7. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Definitely does, thanks for that, I've been looking at the xenyx but I dont know if I'll need the extra inputs from a mixer. Because I'm only beginning and I dont know if I'll go far (I really want to though), I want to start relatively cheap and go up from there.

If there comes a case where I need a mixer, I'll be getting one.

8. insidahdev

insidahdev Member

yeah, I thoroughly recommend it - it will allow you a lot of expansion, should you choose it in the future...

If you make a purchase of one thing decent, you'll soon get the bug, and want to keep buying.. next thing you know, you'll have a tower rack with synths, processors, drum machines, effects units, etc loaded into it, and begging for more space...

I stumbled across this video clip of the Mackie mixer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttOtfozJeeQ

9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Man so true, I can't produce music to save myself yet.

But...

Monitors, Audio Interfaces, Speaker stands, midi pianos, maschine (<3), then it's always the 'next' thing.

Just got 'The Mouth' to appease myself without needing more powerpoints!

10. BassKat

BassKat Member

Go for the Motu Ultralite

You can find them for roughly $500 considering the strong AUD.

Plenty of input and output for a decent price. Should last you a long while

11. Drewcarey

Drewcarey Member

Got a similar question regarding interfaces. Ive been running a m-audio firewire 410 for years without any problems but im looking to upgrade to something more high end. its without a doubt the biggest bottle neck in my system. Where should i look for better quality to record vocals than my m audio?

12. BassKat

BassKat Member

I've heard the Apogee Duet has really good mic pre amps. Haven't used it myself but you should have a look around on the web and gearslutz forum, seems highly recommended for the price

13. BassKat

BassKat Member

14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Apparently focusrite stuff has really good mic pre's.

15. Boneman

Boneman Member

Buy a quality preamp.

16. Piroteknik

Piroteknik Member

I also noticed the mention of Behringer here.

DO NOT i nrepeat DO NOT buy anything behringer.

A friend used to run a Comp/limiter and EQ of theres, and they made terrible noise all over the signal

I even fell for it once, i bought one of their USB control surfaces, thinking that its not actually touching the audio so shouldn't be an issue.

Well, it didnt actually make noise on the sound, but the knobs would tighten randomly, the sliders would "Flicker" when you weren't even toching the unit, an example of which is when we mapped it to virtual DJ to test it out - t5he virtual faders would occasionaly flciker arround, and effect the audio you were manipulating that way (In this case it was Pitch control on the left Virtual deck)

We tried on another PC and with diferent software to verify it wasn't the software/my machine, and it still did it.

Low and behold, steer clear lol unless you like headaches.

Sorry for the Rant, but Behringer is really not worth the money, thewy might make their products cheap, but you can get other cheap brand stuff that costs roughly the same but better quality.

17. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Its called the bcf2000 or something isnt it? Doesn't look that promising, Im thinking of getting a novation zero SL Mkii

18. Drewcarey

Drewcarey Member

Sorry, forgot to mention i'm already running a quality pre amp (about 2g worth) i just need to run the output from that into the computer somehow which is what i use the m-audio for. I dont use the m-audio as a pre amp at all. Thats what i meant by the m-audio probably being the bottle neck in the chain, i need to get the analouge audio from the pre amp into my computer without losing quailty and i daresay the m-audio wouldnt be the best choice compared to the rest of my vocal chain. Any reccomendations?

19. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

Does your pre have a digital out? that would be the best way to interface it so look for a card with a matching digital standard.

Failing that, the Apogee duet as mentioned is fantastic.

20. Drewcarey

Drewcarey Member

Nah no digital out only balanced xlr