1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

"You can't do that on Linux". Rubbish!

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by vladtepes, Apr 21, 2020.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So the Minister for War and Finance is now working from home (government job).

For (reasons) my three windows computers are all not working at the moment.

Anyway the instructions the missus got from her work, to log on remotely, only mentioned Windows computers and Apple Macs. She had been told that its not possible to do it with Linux.

Well I am FAR from a Linux expert but I was almost certain that was bovine excrement.

So a quick look at the mentioned Citrix site - yep there are all sorts of options for Linux.
    I first saw a tarball but as I don't know how to compile from those I kept looking - ah look deb files.
    Download, click, installed, sorted.

No harder than doing it for Windows.

Government idiot. Nil. Me 1.

HyRax1 likes this.
  2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Nice one!

We're slowly migrating to Microsnot Teams at work, which is great for me because it has far better Linux support than Skype for Business and gives me less reason to pull out the Windows 10 laptop for the one and only task I use it for - SfB.

IT keep asking me if I've installed the Teams app, and I keep telling them I don't need to - the web app works just fine (and the Linux app is essentially a wrapper for the web version anyway).

When people see me going through my mail on the Outlook 365 web portal, they all comment "How come your mail is so much faster than mine?" - because the Outlook client is horribly slow and when I search, it's the server doing that, not my PC struggling on a massively huge locally cached PST file that corrupts every few days!

I've indirectly influenced a number of Windows users to switch over to the web version of most of their apps and they've been pleasantly surprised by the better performance!

IT really want me to go to Windows 10 though, and stop using Linux. They see no issue with having to use an unnecessary extra layer of apps like PuTTY, WinSCP and so forth to manage all the Linux boxen I look after. They've tried to dangle a carrot in the form of WSL, not that I was ever going to be convinced by that, but it was quickly rebuked by IT Security anyway due to WSL's inadvertent security issues that allow you to bypass most of Windows 10's in-built security through nothing more than a bash script.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"Not possible" is tech support speak for "we don't want to support it".

As someone who has been paid handsomely to put Linux into all sorts of places for the last 20 years, I can attest to the old saying:

"Those who say it can't be done are frequently interrupted by those doing it".

4. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I faced the same situation. What my Wife's employer is doing is opening RDP to the web (?!) and allowing people to log into their profile remotely. The problem is that Microsoft has made it that you have to log into the company's web portal and download an executable file that sets up the RDP client as opposed to simply providing an IP address and log in credentials so you can use something (better) like Remmina.

For this reason I had to set her up with a Windows based workstation as no one wanted to provide me with the information necessary to configure Remmina.

5. elvis

Hanlon's Razor says it wasn't that they didn't want to, but they couldn't.

Low cost IT support for the lose. And businesses will tell you "Linux isn't viable because sysadmins cost more". Meanwhile an army of low paid support monkeys is good business efficiency?

flu!d likes this.
  6. flu!d

Yep, that's the impression I got. ;)

7. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Ah well lucky for me then. She can do all she needs via citrix / web portal. We thought she would need RDP but it seems she doesn't so - lucky eh!

8. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

You sure showed them gubbamint support jockeys :lol:

Suppose any wins a win - they don't have to support it, and you figured it out all by yourself :D

9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

That's not a MIcrosoft feature, or at least it's not one I've seen. The Microsoft implementation of that feature (RD Web Portal) downloads a .RDP file which is just a text file, sometimes with a signature. Those files work just fine with Remmina and xfreerdp

There are plenty of crappy implementations of the same general idea that do download an executable client. But I really doubt this one is Microsoft's fault.

10. flain

flain Member

As others have mentioned, probably just internal IT support doesn't want to have to deal with users running Linux. We have had linux Citrix clients for over a decade now, but most often is on a thin terminal running linux and pre-configured somewhat.

I hope it's secure! I assume it's some form of RDSWeb?

11. flu!d

I refuse to touch Windows Server's anymore, I'm not too sure TBH. From this end it looks just like any normal RDP connection with the icon on the desktop to initiate the connection.

12. elvis

If it's a third party self-extracting executable, it probably runs in WINE. Just download and run it under WINE, grab the .rdp config file and point Remmina/rdesktop/xfreerdp to it and off you go.

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

There is a feature called RD Gateway that adds encryption, an additional layer of authentication, and an access control list, and still just deploys as a .RDP file. Works well.

Or they could just be port-forwarding 3389, which is an awful idea.

14. elvis

Agreed it's awful, but I suspect that lots of recent work-from-home rush/panic has inspired quite a few dodgy solutions.