you want retro? digital vt-100 vector ddw-01555

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Creekin, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

I came across a pile of really old tech at a customers factory.
    He seems to have a complete vector pc system that was never used! :shock:
    all still in boxes, with manuals/cables, the lot!

2 x digital vt-100 (which i found on ebay for $CA100ea)

plus what appears to be a mainframe and dumb terminal system from 1978

Vector ddw-01555 is the cpu and ddw-01401 is an external floppy drive.
    all this is brand new never been used.
    thats all the info i was able to get, as they were stored up high and covered in 30yrs of dirt! :sick:
    I will go back and get some pics asap.

My google-fu has failed me on this one, so just wondering if any of you guys have a clue as to
    • what this is?
    • what its worth?
    • who would want to buy it?
    :thumbup:

those model numbers must ring a few dusty bells :D

2. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

The VT100 was a dumb terminal, basically just connected to a host system over serial. Can't really do anything unless its connected to something. You could probably use it to connect to the serial interface on a router or modem, or other serial system.

Surprisingly, there are still a few serial character-based systems running out there. I used to work for a hospital that used such a system for their patient records and they used McDonnell Douglas dumb terminals. Could probably have plugged a VT100 into it and got it to work if you set the emulation up correctly on the host.

Not sure about the mainframe. We used to have a Motorola mainframe system at work many years ago, it was gone before I started here but they kept the hard disks in storage. At first we didn't realise they were hard disks because they were about 2 metres long and weighed something like 30 kg. I found a bit of paper wedged in one of them and pulled it out, and it had a listing of bad sectors and capacity. Then I realised it was a hard disk with integrated power supply and interface boards. It was a 500MB hard disk - pretty massive for the mid 80's :O

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

i am pretty sure they are sitting on top of the host system or its also a hdd :confused:

there are also big arse tapes in special holders.
    i need to get pics, and have a better look, but they are not all that accessible atm
    it def appears to be TWO complete "systems" a digital and a vector.
    And I am about 75% confident they work! :D

thanks for ur reply :thumbup:

4. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

1. what this is? Google "Vector Graphic Inc" for the vector stuff - predecessor of PC

2. what its worth? Shipping cost, maybe

3. who would want to buy it? Computer museum

5. OP
    OP
    Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:thumbup:
    i assumed the google results i got to be vector graphics, not vector graphic Inc :D
    it is in mint condition, still in box, def museum piece if anything.
    anyone know of any :lol:

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Set yourself up a TTY over serial on a Linux box, and plug her in! :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:lol: i was waiting for the inevitable linux suggestion! :p
    but yeah your right, sure as hell wont get windoze to talk to it!

I just wanna sell the things, will get pics tomorrow for realsies!

the crazy old coot of a boss has 6 poor employees trying to run a print/fabrication shop on a collection of 400mhz celerons with a whopping 128mb ram! his email pc is a p4 3ghz! the bloke in the graphics dept has a PII!!

one of the stock control pc's failed during the week and he wanted me to swap in a celery 400, I wasn't game to move it and expect it to boot again.
    So he needs 1 new pc, in reality 6 new pcs. And can easily afford it, but has deep pockets/short arms :rolleyes:
    So to help out his staff, I am trying to turn his old pc's into new ones :D
    Or at least offset the cost so he is more open to it.....

I'm no vintage expert, but by the condition of these alone they must be worth something to someone, somewhere, over a rainbow? :confused:

8. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

You could probably plug it in and watch the keystrokes come up in HyperTerminal but beyond that there's not much point. I'm sure if you tried you could probably get a windows command line to come up in a serial terminal.

A lot of rackmount servers come with serial interfaces too that let you power on/off the server and check voltages/temps etc, you could probably hook it up to one of those.

As for those old Celerons... if you can't get away with replacing the PC's, you might be able to upgrade them. SDRAM is cheap second hand, and depending on the slot/socket type and chipset you might be able to go up to 1.4GHz. I have a Slot 1 P2-400 system which I upgraded to a Tualatin celeron 1.4GHz with a slocket adapter.

9. clockwork

clockwork Member

10. OP
    OP
    Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

legend clockwork! :thumbup:
    thats the reply i was after, i knew ocau would deliver, like clockwork :lol:

mmm doughnuts...wait wot? oh yeah, i agree DK i certainly could upgrade/refurb the celerys, but i LIKE the employees of this company, and would consider giving them sub 2ghz office machine as torture, I'm pretty sure it's all outlined in the Geneva Convention.. :lol:

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

VirtualBox support serial port passthrough to VMs. If you run Windows, you can still run Linux in a VM, dedicated a serial port to it, and run your VT100 that way.

No need for bare-metal Linux, if all you want to do is play with it.

12. mugginz

mugginz Member

MMMmmmmm..... There's some high tech computin' there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. OP
    OP
    Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:shock:
    thanks
    saves me bothering to crack em open :thumbup: