1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Young Blood Reverses Ageing

Discussion in 'Science' started by antipody, May 5, 2014.

1. antipody

antipody Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/s...on=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Lots of links to the lit in that article... Fascinating.

2. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

There was another article a couple of weeks ago about stem cells in an old lady and how it's thought that we're born with about 20,000 stem cells and that every time they replicate the telomeres wear down and the stem cells eventually die off. This old lady only had two stem cells left to rejuvenate her red blood cells.

So the thought is that if we could rejuvenate stem cells, we could essentially live forever. Bring on vampirism I say. Time to hang out at the maternity ward, methinks.

3. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

There's something wrong with that story. We can trick adult cells into becoming stem cells. Any cell that doesn't die from the wearing down of the telomeres is probably a cancer cell. There's a standard set of human cancer cells used in labs all over the world taken from a woman who died a very long time ago, sorry I don't recall her name.
    That's a pretty basic version of the facts and hopefully someone else can flesh it out better for you.

[edit] Found her for you: HeLa

Henrietta Lacks

From her tombstone:

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  4. ThankDog

http://www.iflscience.com/health-an...-womans-blood-could-help-unlock-secrets-aging

My memory is poor. It was white blood cells, not red.

5. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Ok but that's different to her only having "two left". As far as I know an adult has no stem cells. What they're referring to as stem cells here sound more like
    progenitor cells.

Don't worry I'm as confused as you here but that's probably because biology is friggin gooey and our knowledge here is very much a work in progress.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I thought movie writers had known about this for years. Been a few movies on this sort of thing.

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

8. RnR

RnR Member

Anyone have any kids forsale? I haven't managed to make any of my own as yet...

9. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

According to the article, they "stitched" young and old rates together to facilitate a constant blood exchange. I would not want this, whether it's with my own or "rented" children. :sick:

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For some it will come too late :leet:

11. juppy

juppy Member

You are probably not too far off the mark with this comment actually, if this research proves to be of benefit to humans then young blood will become a commodity to the older gen and that could lead to some potentially very dodgy scenarios.

There is also the possibility that this finding is actually old news for some (perhaps through alternate research). Certain privileged people may have already known about and taken advantage of this for some time through established channels. If you had the money and the knowledge to sustain your health for longer through somewhat unethical means, Im sure that some would jump at the chance of buying black market blood for this purpose. Blood is already a major commodity after all and I don't think its a very big step to imagine this scenario playing out in the future or already in process.

... and yes, there is definitely a movie plot here, and its probably already been done.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  12. ThankDog

Well, that explains this:

[​IMG]

13. shredder

shredder Member

This is what the Simpsons do in between episodes.

14. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Right, guess I better start extracting this from my kids :lol::Paranoid::Pirate:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/345/6202/1234.full

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  15. RnR

RnR Member

Damn, there are commercial supplies already available. So looks like kids are safe... for now...

16. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

What happens to the young mouse? Will it live less? Nature has a way of balancing things out...

17. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

one would guess that the young mouse receiving the older blood would have a period of time where it would not be able to recuperate as easily from stress/exercise/being hurt etc but as the young mouse's body is still growing and producing lots of fresh blood cells and stem cells im sure it would recuperate. Maybe a slightly shorter average lifespan perhaps?

Spoken like a true sanguinist :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  18. RnR

RnR Member

19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

20. sanousie

sanousie Member

Thought blood banks always had a sinister side to them, they've been hoarding blood for times like this. I think its time to buy shares into RED CROSS!