Your chance to quiz Intel!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Acid, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Acid

Acid Member

Going to the Intel 6xx media launch tomorrow so I feel that it's partly my duty to field any questions the OCAU community has regarding the 6xx series and the EE 3.73GHz. So, post any questions below and i'll do my best to either get them answered or answer them myself.

Here's what I'm going in with so far:

1. Larger cache results in increased latency, so the upgrade to 2MB L2 provides little (if any) performance increases. With dual-core chips coming soon, why should consumers buy a 6xx instead of a far cheaper 5xx chip?

2. The big advantage that the EE held over the regular P4 has traditionally been in its cache (at one time, 512KB vs. 2MB). Now that the 6xx and EE series boast identical cache, what benefits does the EE range provide aside from the 1066MHz FSB and a very slight clock speed increase to justify its significantly higher price? Further, what modifications will be made in future to ensure that the EE remains desirable (e.g. 4MB L2 cache)?

3. Aussie RRPs?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. Xassius

Xassius Member

ask intel what are the main reasons in which a customer would choose Intel over AMD.

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i don't know if the answer to this has been brought up in the forums already or not, but are these chips officially supported on the 865 LGA systems?

if you happen to get a one on one with one of the intel reps, can you find out their thoughts on if the upcoming dual core processors will work on current LGA boards. (inc the 865 range)

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Ask them to prove that i^2 infact = -1.

5. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

But we know already they won't. :o The 955 board are already sampling. I have spoken with ASUS. According to them a dual core CPU will not work with current LGA boards. But nonetheless they should give some reason why they force us to buy new boards. :D

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=345638

6. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

Stuff like :

1.Will they ever release a CPU bundled with water cooling.

2. And whether Dothans will be available as a mainstream desktop. I know they're availble but as in a mass market thingy...

7. nakey

nakey Member

Hmm...

"what happens to the P4Fs now? Are they still going to be made for the SI market or are they going to switch to the 600 series?"

"Why wasn't the P4Fs released onto the consumer market? I'm sure it would have been well received, even if released in a limited number"

While fairly big companies have access to the 600s, how long do you expect until they filter to the smaller shops?" (my basis of thinking is that Scorptec has them, MSY dont...)

Not so sure about the dual cores, but ASUS' press release on the news page seems to indicate that the i8xx based boards are EM64T capable. No mention of the i875P chipset as ASUS seem to only use the Springdale/i848P series but i don't see why the i875P boards won't support it, especially since it's been used in Dualie boards aimed at the Xeon Noconas which all have EM64T

doesn't help to ask though :D

8. Varuna

Varuna Member

Or for that matter, -0.999999999768.

9. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

in much the same way that the 845 chipset boards "won't" support 800fsb processors?

there's support and then there's "support". ;)

i'm sure i don't need to tell you the amount of people on these forums that make their computers do things that aren't supported.

all of that is irrelevant anyway, because i was actually hoping to get an intel rep's personal thoughts (if they have them), rather than the company line.

10. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Haha. Used your Pentium 60MHz to calculate that, did you?

11. OP
    OP
    Acid

Acid Member

Thanks for the Q's guys, but remember this is a 6xx briefing so I can only ask questions relating to the new product release....

12. Xassius

Xassius Member

ask Daniel Fitzpatrick to hurry up and send Carson his 3.73EE :thumbup:

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Ask why on earth they're still flogging spaceheaters when the P-M is magnitudes cooler little cost to performace.

14. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

Those are two good questions. Please ask heavily about the third and why our prices are so much worse then other places sometimes to the point of where it can become cheaper for us to import the products themselves.

Also in slight answer to question number 2: The EE also has unlocked multiplier.

15. groovetek

groovetek Member

Here's a few:

It seems that the new 600 series chips are able to attain higher clock speeds consistently. Therefore, does Intel have any plans to release lower-wattage models in order to combat the somewhat plaguing heat issue?

What kind of cooling solution will be bundled with the P4 600 series processors?

It's no secret that the P4 series has it's advantages and disadvantages in terms of performance when compared to AMD's offerings. However, has Intel conducted 64bit benchmarks against AMD's 64bit implementation to see if such advantages/disadvantages still exist?

16. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

17. sandeep

sandeep Member

Well atleast with AMD, to use Dual -Core, you don't need to buy a different motherboard.

18. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

That has to do apparently with some changes to the specs of the pins on the motherboard that attach to the cpu. I would have though intel would have designed the LGA775 for dual core though.

19. alpha0ne

alpha0ne (Banned or Deleted)

why should they, this way intel make more $, and since when has intel used forward thinking in the last 18 months
    :rolleyes:

20. Xassius

Xassius Member

LGA775 is designed for dual-cores. It's the chipset, and perhaps some of the now-unused pins of the current LGA775 motherboards..