Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

My previous, "I HATE ALDI!" thread inspired me through people responding with what their favourite ALDI purchases are and why they consider them to be so good. I figured this deserved a thread of its own so that it can eventually be stickied and I can bask in the radiant adulation of my fellow ALDI-ITES.

I'll start the ball rolling with a few of my favourites:

Expressi
    I couldn't start this list off without first giving homage to my all-time most favourite, bestest, most awesomest purchase ever: my Expressi. I'm so enamoured of this thing that I'm going to buy a second one SOLELY on the basis that should my original break down, I don't want to have even a day's gap between being able to replace it.

Blackstone Deli-style Potato Chips
    Better tasting than Kettle chips, IMO and $2.69 for a 200g packet as opposed to $4~ for the 185g Kettles.

Hommus
    Not quite as good as Chris' dips, but close enough that I don't care and also significantly cheaper. That and it seems that Coles and Safeway don't stock Chris' dips anymore (have they gone out of business) and Black Swan dips are shit.

Chocolate Rabbit
    $0.79 125g chocolate bunnies. 'nuff said.

Garlic Bread
    I microwave my garlic bread. So much nicer than when it's all dried out in the oven. But only the ALDI two-pack seems to ever work right. All other garlic breads end up tasting horrid when microwaved.

Lasagne
    The large (2.1kg?) lasagne for $10 is freaking awesome. Not only does it taste delicious, but at $10 it's like four large meals, or six if you have a side with it. Just awesome.

Dim Sims
    Steamed in the microwave and at only $3~ for a big pack of them, they're delicious as a quick snack.

Brooklea Favourites
    Six-pack of mixed flavour lite yoghurts that are also quite cheap even when compared to the larger servings.

2. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

interesting thread
    i dont usually buy anything from aldi besides their special buys (bought $100 plus of cycling gear last year).

the reason for that is because i dont know whats good or not.
    now i do.

:D

3. Franc

Franc Member

Dishwasher. Needed one (our old one was stuffed) bought it home realised it wouldnt fit as it was freestanding, took off the top, put the old dishwasters top in and its been good ever since.

For under $300 its suprisingly better than our previous dishwashers by quite a way, nice suprise (we were just going to put it in till we buy an asko, but not nessecary anymore I guess)

4. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

250g Imperial Grain Brown Rice (90sec sachet)

185g Portview Tuna chunks in springwater/brine

Easy to take to uni - two minutes and add a bit of hot sauce = main meal for $3.

5. Reaper

Reaper Member

Snakos - Chicken flavoured. Yum.

"Jelly belly" rip offs - Yum.

The munchers peanut version - Extra yum and lower cost than peanut m&m's. The plain chocolate ones tend to go south a bit quick with me for some strange reason, but I have no problems with the peanut ones. Weird.

The mix of rice crackers in the blue packs. Yum.

Basically any of the chocolate slabs you can't go wrong with.

The pringles styled chips. Yummy and a much better price.

Dippits - Yummy.

+1 on their deli chips. Also the corn chips are great too.

Packs of cashew nuts. Yum.

Also hommus may be the one I'm thinking of, there is a very nice dip that goes well with the chives pringles styled chips they have. Just can't remember which one it is.

Basically, unless you're after allens snakes, forget about going down the chips/lollies aisles in coles/woollies and go to Aldi instead.

6. Anteros

Anteros Member

The Munchers peanut style gets a vote from my too.

I love one of the packs of cookies you can get there, chocolate and hazelnut, i can't remember atm but i will check when I head there later, It's like havng a ferrero rocher made into a cookie and they're pretty cheap.

Their little red cans of energy drink, remind me of the old lift plus, and only $1 a can.

Mega choc milk is also awesome, there are a few more thinks I know i get a lot but right now, I really can't remember what they are, the smell of pork coming in from outside is just a little too distracting :D

7. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah, the choc and iced coffee milks are great for the price. Also agree on the Munchers peanuts.

But the pringles style chips have never worked for me. I felt they were very bland. Although, having said that, ALDI changes things so often and I think there are actually two Pringles-style chips so I might've had the crappy one.

So much damn junk food :D

I like their fresh asparagus and fresh brussel sprouts too. The asparagus is good to pair with their fresh salmon. A bit of lime and pepper and salt and a (tiny) bit of butter for cooking, crisp up the skin and quickly fry up the asparagus before serving. Yum.

8. PaPaGeorGeo

PaPaGeorGeo Member

Has anyone picked up a meat mincer from Aldi? I was tempted they were round $100 a few months back

9. pentel88

pentel88 Member

Just Organic brand organic yoghurt. I bought it after seeing a dairy show award printed on the pack. Best yoghurt I have ever tasted, makes the regular stuff they pass off as yoghurt taste like sugar-water + thickener

San Benedetto brand mineral water. Italian mineral water < $1/L

Tried their canned salmon last week. It actually looks like it used to be a fish, skin and bone included. Nothing added except salt, and has product of the usa printed on the can. Only tried the pink salmon so far, I can only assume the red species will be even better.

10. Furious

Furious Member

This +1,000,000. This stuff is without a doubt the best yogurt i've ever had.

Their tabouleh salad is good.

Also their pesto is quite good. Basil ftw.

11. RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

Mmmmm good idea for a thread

1) Chocolate Mousse. I'm not a desserts person but these are golden. The only bad thing... well don't look at the fat content... they are a once a month treat :D

2) Danish Feta Cheese - This stuff is great and a lot cheaper than what I used to pay in Woolies.

3) Potato Gratin from the deep freeze. Get a pack of steamed veges, some of these and a steak (the rib eye from my Aldi is delicious) and it makes for an easy dinner.

4) Turkish Bread 3 Pack. Combine with Aldi Hommus for ultimate yum.

5) Laundry Detergent / Softener ... I was getting ripped off before.

6) Cat Food. My cat loves the Sylvester brand fish pack and meat pack (in 12 satchets). I also fed him some of the dog food and he seemed to like that too.

7) Portview Tuna in Spring water ... good stuff and cheap

8) Cookies and Cream Ice Cream for $4.99 (looks the same as Connoisseur brand but couple of bucks less and tastes just as good)

9) Spinach and Feta Dip. Oooooh yeah.

10) Grated Mozarella and Tasty Cheese - So much cheaper and tastes the same. I am eye-ing off the cheese platter but haven't had a reason to buy it yet but it's on my hit list next time I have something on.

The only thing that shits me about Aldi is that they recently cut staff at my local and instead of 5 minutes to get served you can be waiting up to 15. They have room for 4 or 5 cashiers but only 2 on now, used to be 3 on during Sat / Sun peak periods.

I don't care.... I will still shop there as I save a bunch of $$$ and get decent quality stuff. For what I can't get there I go to Thomas Dux and Woolies so it's a win win.

12. dr1fta

dr1fta Member

expressi machine and also the 79c easter bunnies.

so.much.win

13. Bluplet

Bluplet Member

Bratwust - Thought they were as close as it got to what Bratwust is like in Germany, quite pleased to find it! :thumbup:

14. csbalkwill

csbalkwill Member

Haribo gummy bears.

15. Phosphor94

Phosphor94 Member

It might just be me... but all the snack food and the frozen meals, both sweet and savoury are rather good... But once you buy the separate ingredients and make a meal solely from ALDI... It ends up rather mediocre...

16. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I was literally about to buy that tonight but just decided to stick with the Hommus 'cause I once tried their olive dip and thought it was disgusting.

Well, ALDI are German :D

How do you mean?

I almost exclusively buy from ALDI and make up almost all my meals from separate ingredients. From tuna casserole, to meat and three vege, to spaghetti bolognese, to chicken korma. All pretty decent if you ask me.

17. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Prosciutto - Pretty sure I could be fed this daily and not get sick of it. Omnomnomnomnom. :lol:

Frozen Atlantic Salmon Fillets: Not usually a fan of frozen foods, especially fish, but this stuff is actually freaking tasty! I was actually shocked. It comes vacuum-sealed (like their steaks) and actually had seriously good flavour for frozen fish. :thumbup:

On the steak - that is actually pretty good too.

Others as already mentioned here, spinach & fetta dip - win. Yoghurt - win. Pesto - win.

18. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

-Chicken Kievs 2 Pack
    -Spinach and Fetta Pastizzi's
    -Homus Dip
    -The Cob Bread in the Green Bag. my god this bread is so nice after toasting it.
    -Chocolate Mouse
    -Lemon Cheese Cake treat.
    -Danish Apple Pie
    -The Danish Salami is also nice.
    -The Frozen fish in the Blue packet is amazing.

19. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Ooh, I forgot about them. They're also almost half the price of the ones in Safeway.

I just discovered these last week! Eight pieces of fish for $6.99. It's not the best fish in the world, but for the price it's great.

20. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Shit forgot about these salads. Try the seafood and cabbage ones OMG....:thumbup: