Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

We live just about across the road from the Aldi on Creek Rd (not the one in Carindale shopping centre), and we get all of our basics from Aldi. (God-damn middle isle full of crap that SWMBO has to browse when we go there...)

Anyway, we also source some stuff from Coles/Woolies that Aldi doesn't have, but wouldn't go back to those big chains for standard groceries any more! There's even an Aldi in Stanthorpe (really?!), when we went to Stanthorpe last year.

2. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Amen to this. Their camping gear is always great. I picked up a camping fridge, solar panels, recovery tracks, tent, awning, mats, parents have gotten a dishwasher, dryer and washing machine all from there. Even a few TVs which have lasted well.

Anyone who says it's crap hasn't had a look at the parts inside apparently. My fridge runs a Danfoss compressor and the panels use Bosch cells :thumbup:

3. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

You can't keep everyone happy. :shock:

If you want to 'pick up a couple of things quickly' then why do you need a trolley?

They have free boxes.

4. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Usually buy a lot of milk/juice so boxes are out of the question. You're right though, it's not a big deal anyway.

5. Hetty

Hetty Member

Aldi diet deli yogurt- delicious. I got passionfruit and mixed berry. No added sugar. Comes in tubs, not individual serves. Really creamy.

Also they have these cake bites, they're in the chocolate section and aren't cakey, I got the chocolate toffee ones and they're really good.

6. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Tried to get favourite soap refills but they didn't have my flavours...

Used to seeing Graprefruit as well as Lime, love these citrus soaps... but couldn't find any? Anyone able to find these?

Ended up with pomegranate and mango, not bad...

7. clonex

clonex Member

Our dog is usually prone to a vet visit thanks to others at barbeques. No scientific data here but her poo appears solid when mixed with kibble.
    While missus was in hospital last year the dog had 2 days worth of kibble so mixed it with some julius to last till thursday/late night shopping.

The bitch got picky about food after that tho.

I love my jaffa biscuits, brings back childhood memories plus other biscuit range:thumbup:

The trolleys arent a problem at ours as woolies/coles in the centre.
    Last time i found two empty aldi trolleys abandoned. They really need to ditch the breaka ice coffee for dare ice coffee.

Meats range is bit average

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  8. broccoli

broccoli Member

We don't have Aldi yet, although they are coming sometime....

Do they deliver?

9. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

How big is that one in comparison to the one in the Westfield? I live 'round the corner from the Westfield and I've always been pretty underwhelmed with their layout. I do like their occasional sale items though, stocked up on cheap kettlebells last time I went. :lol:

10. Romen

Romen Member

Ha, Aldi even has a 3D printer and 3D printer pen next Wednesday as their special buys.

11. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I'd say that it's bigger, in terms of floor space. Your quality and selection of goods will be the standard Aldi variable, however. (Oooh, a chainsaw and a washing machine in the middle aisle this week!)

12. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

pistachio gelato are pretty good.
    they're seasonal so i had to go around to 4-5 different aldis to get it (got about 2 boxes of it and then 5 boxes a week later).

13. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Reminds me of a mate of mine who recently named his son Julius and we went to Aldi to pickup a bottle of Jim. They changed his name a few days after.

14. dohzer

dohzer Member

Aldi never impressed me all that much.

Do all the stores only have one or two lanes open at a time with 15 people waiting in queue? Or do some have self-serve checkouts?
    I could never get past how long it took me to pay and exit at my local store.

Also, I also feel like what I'm buying is a little different from the people they target. I'm not your "cereal/bread/biscuits/meat" kinda guy.

15. broox

broox Member

If you're in when its on special, can you grab me the 3d printer pen and a spool of filament?
    I'll fix you up for it :D

16. breno

breno Member

The ice cream at Ali, the Monarch Indulge range is freaking awesome, just as good if not better than Conniseure but at half the price. That's my 2c worth :D

17. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

They have a different staffing arrangement to the majors, staffing the checkouts is 'on demand', if they see 14 people walk in the front door, they'll go "Oh, we need to open another lane in 20 minutes." Some stores are better at it than others! I've not see any Aldi stores with self-checkout lanes - I imagine that the machines are fairly expensive, and Aldi double-dips on staff, with checkout staff also being the shelf stackers.

Their stock range is cereal/bread/biscuits/meat/chainsaws/106" LCD TVs/strange British or South African condiments/washing machines/camping gear/assorted patio furniture/<insert cheap-ass crap here>.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well they certainly aren't in good neighborhoods here in SA :Paranoid:

19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

anyone see at Aldi's latest catalogue, they have a 3D printer AND a 3D printing pen thing!?

20. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yup - it even has its own thread. :)