Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

The aldi I was in yesterday was selling briskets.
    Less than 1kg each.
    That seems quite small to me but I've never really seen briskets before so don't really know.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What sort of price we talking?

3. looktall

I didn't take much notice.
    I have a tendency to not look at meat prices because I buy based on what I want not what it costs.

4. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Grabbed a set of clippers and an umbrella this morning. Umbrella will be left in the car.

$20 clippers should save me a fair bit of cash on haircuts, I only get a #3 all over anyway. :thumbup:

5. looktall

I was in Aldi today checking out their booze (which they only just started selling in wa).
    The briskets are $9 something per kg.
    Is that a lot for brisket?

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

I doubt it. I don't get a lot of meat, but you're lucky to get anything for that price. Even the real crapola cuts (shin, and chuck and all that sort of thing) that I get for my slow cooker "concoctions" are usually about $13/kg, something like that. Where's the brisket cut from?
    EDIT: looked it up. top of the front leg/chest. Coles has it at $11, so $9 isn't bad, I'd say.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

I saw that today. I wondered why they qualified it as "mens" instead of just a manicure kit. Nails are nails, n'est-ce pas?

9. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

As stated above, around $9 a kilo.

Whilst they are only small pieces, they look pretty decent, thick squares with a decent fat cap.

@under $10 a kilo, definitely worth giving a go. In fact I might grab one tomorrow and stick on the weber.

10. miicah

miicah Member

I always want to buy the 'outdoors' stuff they have on sale, but it inevitably ends up sitting in my garage collecting dust until the day I finally decide to become an outdoor person comes lol

11. T1tan

T1tan Member

bought an expressi tonight and a milk thingy.

And about 8 different flavours.

The milk frother is faulty i think - the seal is not tight - so ill have a look at getting it replaced tomorrow morning. That said, it does froth the milk and heat it up well and the decaf coffee (it was 8pm) i had was very nice.

I used to have a $550 nespresso machine and sold it as I found the coffee pretty average, but for $100 total + coffee i feel much more confident in the value equation :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Did you see on the news there was a fight in Aldi over one of the outdoor lounges?

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

But at least it's there when you do eventually need it ; )

14. looktall

How long do you think such a small amount of meat would take to cook?

15. trop

trop Member

Be careful with the aldi brisket, I got a 1.5kg one a couple months back and it was 3 x .5kg bits which you couldn't tell from the packaging. It made some nice burnt ends but the bits were too small for low and slow brisket.

Cooking time will vary depending how you cook it but in the smoker @ 110c it takes 4-5 hours to get the little 1-2kg briskets to break down nicely and become soft and juicy.

16. looktall

how do briskets go in a slow cooker?
    could these little slabs of meat be cut into chunks and dropped into a slow cooker for a few hours to make a stew of some sort?

17. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yep definitely. Brisket holds together quite well even under a long cook.

I did a piece from Aldi on the weber yesterday, using Sweet Rub o' Mine.

Come out aces.

18. Skexis

Skexis Member

Did anyone buy any of the 4x4 accessories? Was thinking of buying a compressor.

Today's homeware sales caused some issues here in Adelaide, specifically the chairs and dishwasher as there weren't enough (way not enough) to meet demand. People were queueing outside stores well before opening time.

19. clonex

clonex Member

Lol, werent people fighting when the outdoor set was on sale. Funnily enough mrs friend wanted one so went to the local Aldi at around 7:30am and there was already a few older people lining up. I rocked up and loudly asked "whos here for the outdoor setting" Everyone turned around and said yes and some old grumpy hag said "why would you ask something like that".
    Just before 8am i think there was maybe 50 people in the que behind us and the utes/cars with trailers just kept on rocking up :D
    Bunnings basically had the same shit for $20 cheaper this week no need to wait in a line:thumbup:

20. 6thgear

6thgear Member

I really love the marinated pork steaks. Both flavours chilly and soy (i think?) Just really good when i want some easy shit to cook up for work lunch that tastes the business.