Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

hot pan, don't touch until they've crusted up on the underneath.

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I havent ever used pre-bought rostis, they're so easy to make yourself. But the cardinal rule is do not, DO NOT try and move them until they're entirely crusted underneath and pretty much cooked the whole way through.

EDIT - (same goes for a lot of other similar things that dont bind well till they're cooked. Bubble and squeek for example)

3. the916man

the916man Member

If you can get to coogee I’ll give you an almost full tub for free

Most disgusting thing I have had in years it’s about to hit the bin

4. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Maybe the home-made ones are smaller. Or the folks cooking the pre-packed square ones from Aldi must have REALLY big frypans and HUMUNGOUS spatulas. I even tried separating one into two halves to make it more manageable whilst cooking. Friggen thing disintegrated soon as I started cutting it :(

5. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

oh i gave up on making it like the photo on the packet the 1st time i cooked it. Total failure

I eat mine at breakfast. I cook the bacon 1st (the streaky bacon) which renders out the fat.
    I set the bacon aside and dump 1/2 a pack of the rosti in the bacon fat and fry it like american hash brown. It takes about 15 min to make it crunchy and golden.
    Add salt and pepper. Serve with the bacon and 2 eggs (any style) and you have a delish breakfast

6. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I pretty routinely make them the size of a full skillet, if they're big ones just do the old plate-on-top-flip-the-whole-thing-then-slide-it-back-in-the-pan trick

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm a bit partial to the chocolate mousse.

8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

I'm quite fond of their Soft Blue cheese. Just as nice and way cheaper than quite a few deli alternatives.

9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

yeah their gorgonzola is pretty good. Makes a wicked blue cheese sauce for wings, too.

10. Reaper

Reaper Member

So I saw a "Neapolitan" (the icecream), Ram flavoured milk there today. Just had to get one. Tastes just like when you mix all the flavours together in a bowl, also the same brown shade of colour too.

11. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Must be a big seller, the last three weeks I've seen that stuff marked down to $1.49 to get rid of it at my local.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I picked one up, looked at it somewhat astonished, and put it down again. Sounds fucking disgusting. I'm willing to give most 'new' products a go but you gotta draw a line somewhere.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

what is it? sheep flavoured icecream?

14. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Yep. Been sitting here myself thinking it sounds like something one of the littlies threw up.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Most probably can't stomach Blue Vein cheese also but it's soooo yum in its richness :thumbup:

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Neapolitan is three separate flavours of ice cream in the one tub. Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. It does have other names but most companies have been making it as ice cream for ages. 30 years ago Choc-berry used to be a popular flavour of milkshake, some of the flavoured milk companies, (like Big M) even sold it for limited times in their 600ml cartons. The Aldi stuff is just pretty much just a weakened version of that, (the vanilla weakens it) there is nothing foul or disgusting about it.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The difference being, as an icecream the flavours are separated. I don't mind any of the flavours (although never really keen on strawberry I guess) on their own, but all mixed together as a liquid... no thanks.

I like anchovies and nougat too, but not together, and certainly not as a milk flavouring !!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  18. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

one of the big dairy's over here did a neopolitan flavour recently.
    i tried it out of curiosity and while it's wasn't disgusting, it wasn't something i would drink again.

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Mixing stuff together and seeing what is created is half the fun of food. Fancy not trying to mix the three flavours of ice cream that come in a tub together and seeing what is created, then letting it all melt together and treating it like a McDonalds thickshake. It would be like seeing a sign saying "do not push button" and actually taking notice of it.

20. Reaper

Reaper Member

lol. So you've never mixed the three flavours together in a bowl before? Never eaten the melted bits that mix together into the light brown colour? (It tastes exactly like that). You're the type to just eat the chocolate and yell "MARGE! WE NEED MORE CHOCOLATE, VANILLA AND STRAWBERRY ICECREAM"!