Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. millen

millen Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My 27" 1440P 75Hz IPS Viewsonic was only about 300 bucks from PLE more than a year ago, so I would think it's at least a possibility that a 1080P from one of their off brand suppliers at that price might be IPS. OTOH, you would think that IPS being a selling point that they would market it as such if that were the case. Flip a coin on the chances. You'll have to get there at the time and read the specs on the box I guess.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I hate using chemicals in the house for most things but sometimes you get utterly desperate and recently we had a 'fly explosion'. Five different 'fly traps' were making no noticeable difference with most failing to catch any.

So out of desperation I looked for a spray and found this article;
    https://www.canstarblue.com.au/home-garden/insect-spray/
    So I bought a can of Aldi ATLAS flyspary and their surface spray. With a face mask on and covering the kitchen areas I didn't want the spray on I hit the kitchen window and it's curtains (dutch and side) and that was it - decimated the population of flies and some reviews indicate it will function as a surface spray for them as well. I was blown away with how ruthlessly effective the outcomes were.

4. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

It's a PLS panel, not IPS.

millen likes this.
  5. Reaper

Reaper Member

Are they the type of flies that are on the windows behind the curtains? A vacuum cleaner sorts them out. We had a fly problem last year, dunno where they came from but they were on every window. I sucked them all up, no sprays. Bag vac though so they stay trapped.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

They hung around the window (on the dutch curtains) when the sun was up and warm - our Dyson would have shredded the dutch curtains and we have lots of security bars on the windows (internal security bar swing lockable panel). Something like this;
    https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/363876844877741181/
    So not really easy in any manner.

7. money_killer

money_killer Member

$100 rangehood cant go wrong bang for buck

8. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Been smashing those $1.89 chocolate mousse and $1.99 Creme Caramel that comes in a pack of 2. So damn good.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

yes, those chocolate mousse are very nice. I think I mentioned before that the fruit greek yoghurts are also good. (they are a name brand that sells at Coles as well, they are just cheaper at Aldi)

10. Reaper

Reaper Member

I tried the mango one last week, it's actually edible for a greek yogurt, just mix the fruit stuff on the bottom through first. Bought another one and a strawberry yesterday. And the caramel popcorn, had to force myself to stop or the pack would have been eaten. Yum.

And the snackos chicken crinkle. They're pretty good. too. I like how they're egg shaped. lol.

Saw 3 of those 27" monitors down to $199 yesterday too.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah if you just want functionality. They are the square ones right? I prefer the chimney type personally. Looks heaps better.

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

not really Aldi related, but at self checkouts you can choose if you want a receipt or not (at Coles/Woolworths/IGA), if you want to refund something, how does it work with no proof of purchase?

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Good question, I would assume you have no standing with no receipt. TBH I can't recall exactly if you get the option of a receipt.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

If you've paid by card, the info should be in the system and traceable by your transaction time and amount.

15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Yeah CC acts as proof of purchase in any store. The system at the supermarket will record and store what was bought on that docket number.
    Cash makes it harder but there is still a record of purchase that the store needs to keep.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No itemised printout with CC however.

17. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Because they know they offer for you to shop with no receipt they're pretty good about it. Only the merchandise stores tend to give you a voucher if no receipt is presented.

18. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

You don't need it, every store keeps the itemised list, all you have to provide is the proof that you made the purchase.
    Pretty sure if someone bothers to rake through the consumer law they will find the information that states what happens with CC transactions and proof of purchase.

19. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Last couple weeks done my shop at aldi they've had boneless pork leg roasts for about $7.50 a kg, which seems really low. I don't get that, it's cheaper by a few bucks per kg than chicken thigh or breast any basically ever beef cut but silverside & mince and maybe stuff like lamb shanks.

Cooked it for a couple hours after a herb & spice rub and it's been amazing. 2kg, no bones, basically no connective tissue, even has a bit of crackling on top (although it's doesn't make the best crackling compared to other cuts).

firey4059 likes this.
  20. Zee

Zee Member

10kg (x2) bumper weights! YEAY! $49. There were two sets - left one set that I'll keep an eye on, and hope they have a special to get rid of it in a week or so.

Z...

firey4059 likes this.