Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

The link I had posted was sourced from WP and there was a good discussion on the merits of that Aldi PC but then also a lot of comparisons with one absolutely smashing the Aldi deal, for example;
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/489761
    Primarily because it was at a slightly lower price point but came with a RTX 2080 Super + 1TB M.2 SSD + 2TB HDD, etc, etc. from a known supplier.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  5. chook

chook Member

6. 6thgear

6thgear Member

I googled quickly when i looked last year, many many reviews of them being terrible/faulty very quickly. Bigger name brands are not much if any $ more.

chook likes this.
  7. chook

chook Member

Good info, thank-you sir. We don't really care about having a television so are in no rush and don't want to spend a lot. I can wait for some kind of sale and/or just get something from JB. I can get a good discount there due to family employment so might just be patient and have a look later.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I'd be having a look into an OLED and get a better unit even if it cost 1K more at least you wouldn't be kicking yourself in a months time?

For example you could get a Panasonic GZ1000U for $1880 after discount applied;
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TH-55GZ...m3fc90dee16:g:yj4AAOSwTeJdqbPS&frcectupt=true
    and I doubt you would be disappointed with that unit;
    https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9j5jqpk3?p=59

chook likes this.
  9. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I bought one last year. Took it back within the hour.
    It was terrible picture quality. TERRIBLE.

chook likes this.
  10. chook

chook Member

OK, so I have changed my mind on looking at the Aldi televisions. Got a hunch they might not be a good option.
    [​IMG]

11. xplod140

xplod140 Member

They literally said "don't really give a shit about the TV", why recommend wasting money on OLED?

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

13. chook

chook Member

Yes. When people said that the Bauhn television wasn't a great option I started searching more and found that for only a little bit more I can get something with a much longer warranty than twelve months.

More on topic, I am kind of glad that the peanut coated thingies that Aldi has around Oktoberfest aren't available all year because they are super bad for me but I can't stop eating them.

14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I wouldn't base a purchase of a TV on warranty length as under consumer law your "warranty" is in effect much longer.

Aldi TV's are cheap as chips and best for a holiday rental place, kids room etc. where decent PQ isn't needed.

I'll have to try these me thinks, although are they coated peanuts? :)

JSmith

15. chook

chook Member

Not entirely. You have manufacturer warranty and statutory warranty. Statutory warranty is based on the reasonable man test and for a cheap TV the reasonable man isn't going to expect it to last very long as opposed to the $8000 television. There are numerous test cases that have set precedent for this.
    They are like Twisties coated with crushed peanuts.
    [​IMG]

16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

I liked the lebkuchen biscuits I got.

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

19. chook

chook Member

*CAT can't set precedent as it is a tribunal and not a court thus that is not a test case. The fourth Reason also says that they agreed the expected life of the television is eight years. If they hadn't agreed then the outcome could have been very different and likely more expensive for Panasonic so they just say they will pay as it will be much cheaper than the cost of going to a real court. That is often why *CAT is a better option for consumers to get the outcome they want. I have used it to my advantage like this in the past.

I wouldn't base a lot of things on *CAT decisions as in my experience the outcomes don't always align with the same matters heard in a court.

20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

A tribunal can set a precedent in matters that are generally resolved by same.

... but it wasn't.

People regularly receive assistance up to 4/5 years on a TV, however of course any use adjusted payment is based on the original purchase price.

Just go and buy a bloody telly will ya! :lol:

JSmith