Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Hhhmm... I'll have try their Kransky's. I'm used to going with my dad on his monthly meat mission (basically, goes to a bunch of wholesalers in Western Sydney and buys a shitload of meat and cold cuts at significant savings), so I usually ignore the cold cuts at any super market. I'll give them a shot, though...

Z...

firey4059 likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If you like Kransky's generally then you won't be disappointed.

firey4059 and supasaiyan like this.
  3. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah for sure, I also like gotzingers but the aldi are very nice for the price.

Bought one of their garden planters, seems okay!

firey4059 and grrrr like this.
  4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Kranskys are yum, but they have a hint of chilli that might put kids off

5. chook

chook Member

Yes! More for me!

Zee likes this.
  6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Aldi's pork fillets still beat the shit out of anything Woolies and Coles offer up. Price wise they are around about $15/kilo where as the other two charge up to $35/kilo. But Aldi's are also good because they offer them both flavoured and unflavoured as fas as I've seen Coles and Woolies only do plain.

firey4059 and 6thgear like this.
  7. Beanz

Beanz Member

Errrr.. what's the go with the bigger tubs mate ... Fill us in..

8. 6thgear

6thgear Member

Porky fillets are good. The flavored ones don't have the chemically taste that some pre packaged flavoured meats tend to. All are good and really easy to cook up with rice.

9. Zee

Zee Member

The Winchester.
    Heckle and Jeckle, for those of us in Manila...
    Z...

10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Assuming he's talking about the recipes involved and not some other unknown secret where the 2L & 4L tubs are cursed by a witchdoctor, then larger tubs have more air and are usually not "ice cream" under our food regulations they are "reduced fat ice cream". Actual ice cream requires a minimum of 10% butter/milk fat (it's the same thing).

Look at the labels on the tubs, they will say "dairy" or "real vanilla" or talk about using "cream and milk" but don't have "Ice Cream" prominently anywhere on the tubs because they are legally required to say "Reduced Fat Ice Cream". But if you check the small print near the ingredients & nutritional listing they will actually say "reduced fat ice cream". Woolworths 2L & 4L tubs, Bulla 4L tub and the Blue Ribbon & Peters 2l tubs are all below the 10% limit and thus aren't actually "ice cream".

I'm pretty sure the only 2L tub which is actually Ice Cream and not "reduced fat ice cream" is the Bulla Classic which is 11% fat.

The Woolworths 1L special tubs (vanilla bean, honey macadamia, coffee, caramel) are ~14% fat. The Connoisseur ice creams are about 13.5% to 16% depending on the flavour, Sara Lee 1L are roughly 14% as well, Haagen-dazs is ~15% but is also made in France, french style using eggs (Australian made supermarket ice cream has no eggs at all). Aldi's indulge 1l tubs are ~14% as well depending on flavour (If I had to guess, their products are done by Peters ice cream, using slightly modified recipes for the Peters Connoisseur brand).

Reduced fat ice cream is bad and shouldn't exist.

If the stores made real ice cream in 4L tubs they'd have to charge upwards of $30 for them because of how large the margins are on ice cream. And no-one is going to buy a $30 tub.

tl;dr - Stick to the 1L tubs of Woolworths or Aldi Indulge or if you want a cheaper per litre but still actual ice cream the 2L Bulla Creamy Classic tubs. The smaller "super premium" tubs are massively overpriced as they are the same content as the 1L Woolies/Aldi ice cream, and the larger tubs aren't real ice cream and are filled with air and disappointment.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So looks like some businesses are getting exemptions from alcohol licencing laws to enable them to sell booze. Does ALDI get one? Not on your nelly! /sigh

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

What sort of exemption?
    Seriously even if your local Aldi doesn't sell booze you are not missing much, their brand name specials usually aren't special and their own name products are generally fairly average.

I'd actually like Aldi to piss their liquor off. There is too many dickheads who have to line up 15 minutes before the licence allows them to start selling only to try and argue that the cashier's watch must be wrong. It's fucking annoying but it happens so bloody often, even when the cashier tells the morons that it's the register that wont scan the product until the time is right they still keep pushing for the cashier to make an exception.

13. miicah

miicah Member

Hmm, I had the opposite experience with the 1LT ice cream, found it wasn't any better than the good stuff that goes on half price special at Colesworths.

You mean in QLD?

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Aldi has new shopping hours.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...s/news-story/1fc03534126719530f12a107acfff17b

15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

That's nice of them, the bog roll marathon will now start an hour earlier!

Would have been nice if it was this week, but I've just organised myself a delivery bog roll, flour and metho so I don't need to train for the marathon now.

16. millsy

millsy Member

I was enjoying the recent garden stuff from them

17. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I was planning to head there for that but I happened upon Bunnings just after they got their delivery of seeds and seedlings and before the idiot panic buyers so I got all seeded up for the winter garden before Aldi's specials hit the shelves.

18. chook

chook Member

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

My local used to be 8:30am-10pm so that's not normal hours despite how inept Murdoch's papers are.

20. chook

chook Member

Mine was those hours with a couple of nights at an 8:00pm close. I was technically incorrect but the two exta one hour nights I was willing to give him a pass on because Rupert is a bit old now and probably has a few memory problems and hot flushes.