Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Well that's all good and well for you but I simply can't give him a pass, its too many hours. Hours don't come easy any more and I do not wish to simply give them away for nothing especially not to a man who can probably count the number he has left. It's just not right. It's not good. It's the principal of it all....actually it might just be isolation insanity who really knows any more.

chook likes this.
  2. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I went to Coles last weekend, gave Aldi a miss as our weekly groceries was hitting $320 per week @ Aldi. I got the same stuff, plus a lot more and It cost me $240.(Including meats)

Aldi has been getting expensive for me, what about you guys? The fruit and Veg is insane. $6 for kilo of Tomato's I paid $3.50 at Coles.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Weekly specials are up and down everywhere. I paid 69 cents for lettuces today and 69c/kg for bananas, those kind of savings add up but they don't happen every week. I have my staple things at Aldi which I get whenever they run out but I never look at the prices that closely, I'd really only notice if I came out spending more than about $40 a visit. Same goes for Coles and Woolies, when I know what the specials are I do look for them but unless the bill is over $100 I generally don't even think about how expensive it is.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Fruit & Veg shop $1.99 tomatoes
    ALDI $3.79

Fruit & Veg shop $3.99 bananas
    ALDI $1.99 and better looking

All per Kg.

You have to be prepared to shop the specials for best bang for buck

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. schnappy

schnappy Member

On odd weekends I sometimes find myself visiting Woolworths, Coles and Aldi in one day. What is cheapest is often different at each with no one store being cheaper than the other on anything in particular. The only exception I can recall is carrots are usually cheapest at Aldi, and just a bag of salad leaf mix is the cheapest at Aldi ($4/bag lasts me most of a week, that and bags of seeds are my reasons to make the trip to Aldi).

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Carrots are often cheaper at my Aldi, however every three weeks my Coles puts the I'm Perfect carrots cheaper. Seems like they have some kind of I'm Perfect rotation where one week its apples and sweet potatoes, the next its pears and capsicums, then it's carrots some other fruit I can't remember right now.

7. Franc

Franc Member

They do that with Chocolates (or is that woolies) always one at half price.

8. schnappy

schnappy Member

Interesting, when carrots go cheap at my Coles ($1/1kg bag) they often seem to forget about the Im Perfect and leave them at $2/1.5kg. I rarely see the prices budge on those. Very rarely I'll see loose items with yellow tags that are clearly 'reduced to clear' equivalent pricing... I once got a few mangoes for 20c/kg. They went really soft the next day but I am not picky.

9. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Yeah it's only a relatively new thing at my Coles. Never do they put the normal 1kg bag of carrots on special with the I'm Perfect ones, and their regular price on the 1kg bag is dearer than Aldi by about 49c usually, but the 1.5kg of I'm Perfects come down as low as 60c/kg some weeks. The I'm Perfect capsicums often aren't exactly perfect but they end up being about half the price of the normal ones and even if I have to cut a little bit I still usually get a good weeks worth of capsicum out of the packet. Hopefully that will all change soon though because I've got 16 capsicum plants growing so both Aldi and Coles will miss out :)

10. lolpigs

lolpigs Member

I think its due to the agreements that coles and woolies have made the producers agree to. Aldi, dosen't always get the best market price for produce, however I half my bill doing my shop there so I'm happy.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've never thought Aldi prices are exceptional. I've thought they are good on some items, margarine for example, in comparison to what is on offer from the big two. But a lot of their food prices I've thought were quite average tbh.

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

My Aldi's this morning only had tomatoes, strawberries and bananas on a decent special, so this week was only a $25 Aldi visit, would have been even less if the missus wasn't already doing the Christmas shopping.

13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's time to STOP

14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

But I like Aldi's more than I like Aldis or Aldi, or even Coles.

15. lithos

lithos Member

It gets even dicier when you factor in quality as well. They couldn't pay me to drinking their Diplomat tea, for example. If this is their idea of diplomacy, time to break out the fucking gunboats.

Some of their stuff is OK, most is shit, and mostly it's not worth the time line up to buy the two good things you like from Aldi by standing behind a family 17 unloading five trolleys worth of crap on to the postage stamp they call the bagging area.

qwertylesh likes this.
  16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

But are you comparing it to branded product or other generic products at woolies/coles?

17. lithos

lithos Member

The brand products.

Why?

Because Aldi clearly wants us to; that's their branding strategy. Their marketing: create products that are labelled almost identically - but legally distinct - from the actual brandname products.

Woolworths' and Coles' brands (and phantom brands) are better, if not just as good.

18. josh1990

josh1990 Member

There's plenty of ALDI food/drink that is just a repackaged brand name.

The juice for example, comes from Griffith = Real Juice Co.

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

while i disagee with the sentiment of lithos, i have to agree. that diplomat tea is fucking rancid. their "good" tea is quite nice though

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Has anyone noticed a change in the tinned spaghetti at Aldi? I was sure they used to do an Aussie made Spag but I can't seem to find it on the shelf at my local. They still have an Italian and an Aussie made version of baked beans in the Corvel (or similar such name), but I thought they did the same two version in the spag with the Aussie stuff coming from the SPC/Ardmona.