1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your first game / gaming memory

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jun 23, 2018.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

1978 Space Invaders. Wow! What an eye opener :)
    I never realised they were black and white with a tinted plastic screen until 1983.

mind blown

elvis likes this.
  2. badmofo

badmofo Member

Haha great idea for a thread elvis.

It was something on my Dad's Microbee - pretty sure it was 'Invaders', which of course was a Space Invaders clone.

Decent graphics actually - I haven't seen this in action for at least 30 years. The death music brings back a lot of memories so I must have heard that a lot.

Here I am in front of the Bee - Dad was right into it as you can see; this must have been '83 or '84. Note the digital watch and Spiderman toy, both favourites.

[​IMG]

Phido, elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JSmith

elvis likes this.
  4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

cool. we had turtle bridge on nintendo. galaga. nice pics

JSmithDTV likes this.
  5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I remember actually my cousin won a Galaga arcade machine in a competition... it got played heaps. :D

JSmith

elvis likes this.
  6. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Does this thing count?

upload_2018-6-23_17-0-26.jpeg

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

wow. yeh i didnt actually have galaga just played it at the arcarde:p but the turtle bridge was at the breakfast table :D

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. Hater

Hater Member

It was Scarab of RA, a game on Classic Mac

I never played it, only saw my dad playing it. I remember it because it gave me nightmares. I was like 3.

elvis likes this.
  9. sirshelldrake

sirshelldrake Member

My first memory would have been arcade game Frogger or space invaders from early 80's.
    My first memory for home computer game would have either been load runner or Gato on my Mac 512k in the mid 80's. There was also a driving game a and a flight sim game but I didn't like them much. there was a golf game that i did like but that was later on.

elvis likes this.
  10. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

This is the first game I remember buying is 3d Monster Maze back in 81 (vid is a Spectrum port). Thankfully I got a Spectrum as soon as it was released (my parents rock).

elvis and Dwarfer66 like this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Mate that could of been a mirror for my setup. Except the modem. No way could we afford that :)

12. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I can't remember which of these was the 'first'...

My family didn't have a lot of disposable income when I was younger so we never had games or computers until I was about 10 years old.
    I remember one friend of mine was a bit higher on the hog's back, he had a Sega Master System and I used to love going over there and playing Sonic and Alex Kidd.
    I also remember my cousins had an Amiga 500 and I used to play Ghostbusters, Test Drive II and some poker game (a family friendly one! although I remember there were many rumors of a 'rude' version...)

Our school had Apple II's, we used to play Spy's Demise, Taipan and Freefall before school started.

Finally we got our own DOS PC in about 1993ish and the first game I played on that was Duke Nukem 2. I was fascinated by that machine, I bought a few books on DOS, spent hours tinkering with it - on more than one occasion I had to boot from a floppy to restore a botched config... We later upgraded it with a sound card and CD-ROM drive, and for a short while I was the coolest kid on the block. One of the first games I remember saving and buying with my own money was Sam and Max Hit the Road on CDROM, it cost $110 at the time and we had to drive nearly an hour to the closest Harvey Norman to buy it. I still have that copy and it's still one of my favorite games, even though at lot of the humour went over my head at the time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    JSmithDTV, fredhoon and elvis like this.
  13. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

My uncle used to work as an audio/visual salesman. I remember staying at their house one long weekend with my parents and seeing the Mattel Intellivision he borrowed from work and being amazed by it. However I'm struggling to recall if that was my first gaming memory or whether this was - I still own it to this day:

[​IMG]

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  14. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

This thread has hit me squarely in the feels.

pwlm1975, MUTMAN, fredhoon and 3 others like this.
  15. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

This thread has also jogged my memory about the crap us kids would carry on with. It started innocently enough with Sega vs Nintendo arguments, then stories about a nude version of wolfenstein 3D... then when Duke Nukem 3D came out, I remember one kid made up detailed stories about filthy sexual violence in the game - none of it was true (although looking back now, I do wonder about that poor kid :( ). Later when the first Tomb Raider came out there was many rumours about a non-existent nude code, kids spent hours trying to unlock it.

pwlm1975 and elvis like this.
  16. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

First gaming experience? Haddow's Fun Parlour, Scarness, Hervey Bay c. 1980 - playing the pinball machine "Firepower" by Williams.

First home gaming experience was an Intellivision c. 1980.

First computer gaming experience - "Lazarian" on cartridge on the C=64.

elvis likes this.
  17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Having some trouble finding my first home machine. Memory is vague, but I know it was a Telstar, it looked similar to a Telstar Alpha, as pictured below. Mine however did not have a reset button that I remember, and definitely did not have difficulty levels. It played the 4 preloaded Pong style games displayed on this machine, and had no cartridge. Many hours of hi-tech fun, in resplendent black and white. 2 players, but you had to be real friendly with your opponent, pretty much sharing one seat on the couch to allow both of you to reach the controls.... :lol:

At the time, you could play tabletop Pong in a few of the pubs, at about 10 cents a game from memory. My home machine was king, none of my peers had anything like it.... :D

Coleco_Telstar_Alpha.jpg

elvis likes this.
  18. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

It’s funny, as a kid I don’t remember any X vs Y arguments. It worked in our favour that we each had different consoles; it meant that we collectively had so many more games to play together.

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Those things ate batteries by the dozen.
    Fond memories of mine even though id forgotten it until you posted the pic of yours.

flu!d likes this.
  20. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

My word they did! They took something like 8 AA's.

Not a problem my friend, you could almost say that handheld game was my first computing device.

MUTMAN likes this.