1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your first game / gaming memory

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jun 23, 2018.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Jill is another game I spent a lot of time on.

NewRisingSun on Vogons has made a number of patches for old games (mainly Sierra adventures) and he has recently released one for Jill that fixes a number of bugs and updates the sound blaster driver. Thia game has some cool OPL tunes and the different driver versions can make them sound radically different.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31501&sid=33980e2cd103bae430a816c7c18a6c48&start=80

elvis likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I also had one of these little mini hand held box arcade games, not quite the same as this one but similar concept......can't remember the game in it though :confused: ....maybe a galaga type one? But it kept me entertained for hours literally.

Coleco-DonkeyKongJr.jpg

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

CAESAR, Utetopia, DangerMaus and 7 others like this.
  4. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Yeah, some of those handhelds had godawful shrill noises. My parents used to complain regularly when I played my Tomy Cosmic Combat (Space Invaders knock-off) handheld in the living room in 1980:

[​IMG]

This is what it sounded like, basically a constant stream of annoying beeping noises. It was much louder in real life, and there was no volume control:

Anyway, just to add to my original post, if we ignore handhelds, my first "real" video game memory - after briefly playing Space Invaders and the like in arcades (because 20c a go was too expensive for me as a kid) - was Berzerk on my Atari 2600:

5. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Never played Wizardry, but Phantasie III had damage locations, so you could have an armless wizard for example, could that be the one?

Rubberband likes this.
  6. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Haha yep, still waiting for someone to pipe in with "my first gaming experience was Half-Life/Metal Gear Solid/Quake 3D".

PersianImmortal and Dwarfer66 like this.
  7. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The general rule should be that if the first game you played didn't have pixels the size of Salada crackers, you can't post in the retro forum :)

fredhoon, elvis and pwlm1975 like this.
  8. Martyn

Martyn Member

Escape from the devil's doom, handheld solar powered game console from the 80's.

elvis likes this.
  9. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

That's the one!!! :)

elvis and JidaiGeki like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ah look, there's no crime in being young. We accept everyone here, whether they're old codgers, or young folk catching up on the things they missed.

Retro for all!

PersianImmortal, DonutKing and MUTMAN like this.
  11. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

My first game/gaming memory would have to be one of the hand held game consoles but can't for the life of me remember the names of any of the games. Just have vague recollection of what they and the console looked like.

So the first game/gaming memory I can remember would be the classic Pitfall on the Atari 2600. :)

It's always interesting looking back at games like this and seeing how primitive they look compared to not just now but later years as the technology developed. But in saying that you can't help but admire how brilliant a game like that is in it's simplicity. You can easily see how it would get a kid hooked and playing it for hours on end.

12. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Fact :leet:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  13. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

elvis likes this.
  14. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Phido and MUTMAN like this.
  15. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Tandy Color Computer 3 - Dungeons of Dagorath.
    I've got it on an emulator now for Win 10. Still a great game.

Dwarfer66, pwlm1975 and elvis like this.
  16. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Around 1989-1990 playing Prince of Persia on the next door neighbour's PC, don't even remember if it was an Amiga or MS-DOS... was only 5-6yo at the time.

Around the same time there was another kid up the street with a NES and Super Mario Bros.

Didn't have my own console until a Sega Mega Drive II around 1995, and didn't have a family PC until 1998 :Paranoid:

pwlm1975 and elvis like this.
  17. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

QLD'rs may remember this...there use to be an arcade at Surfer's Paradise named Grundy's that had a ton of fantastic games to play. One being the sit down Star Wars arcade.

That thing was absolute mana from heaven for me.

Some genius god had taken my very favorite thing as a child (Star Wars!) and stuck it in a box that I could play?! I can actually pilot an X-Wing myself and take out the Imperial Forces??!! Mind fuckin' blown.

fredhoon, elvis and JSmithDTV like this.
  18. power

power Member

speaking of the GC, I remember when Dreamworld used to have an amazing arcade too. :) good times. But yeah Grundy's was heaven on earth.

19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

[​IMG]

"prepare to qualify..." :D

JSmith

elvis likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

A Gold Coast native mate of mine used to rave about Grundy's. I never made it there, which made me sad.

I went to Dreamworld in grade 7 for a school trip (was a country kid, so we came to "the big smoke" for our grade 7 camp), and I literally spent the entire day in the arcade - never went on a single ride, didn't even eat. Didn't care. I'd never seen an arcade that big, and I spent every single cent I had on games. Best day ever.

fredhoon, WuZMoT and MUTMAN like this.