1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your first game / gaming memory

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jun 23, 2018.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

(I think???) it was Hoopstar that made or refurbished one. there's a worklog somewhere in the forums here, and yes, it is amazing :)

Both of these were awesome, but grundy's had a ticket style of paying for everything. what a rip-off they were. but still, an amazing place with the crazy water slide outside and arcade heaven inside.
    There was an amazing (for the time and place) arcade in Toowoomba too. It had "everything" pinballs lowboys uprights cocktails by the dozens. I got dragged out of there by my screaming parents more than once :D

elvis likes this.
  2. connico

connico Member

Atari 2600 - Grand Prix and Double Dragon. Rich kid neighbour had a console... was amazed...

Didn't get a family PC till early 1991. First game I owned was Gods which was bundled with the PC! Played the shit out of that game lol

elvis likes this.
  3. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Ah the water slide. That'd be the one that gained infamy when some prick put razor blades in it and cut some kids up.

From memory, 'Top's', the theme 'park' at the top of the Myer Centre in Queen St had a decent arcade as well.

Lived in rural Northern NSW as a kid. So trips to the GC and Brisbane were always an event! :D

fredhoon likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Urban legend. Never a single news story about this, anywhere, ever.

5. power

power Member

yeah as above, fake news.

Tops had an awesome arcade. I experienced Dactyl Nightmare there two they had 2 machines in - EPICness.

https://www.giantbomb.com/dactyl-nightmare/3030-38723/

Yes it was stand up multiplayer VR.

fredhoon likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ha, I remember reading about that - when VR was going to be the next big thing! (And wasn't. And still isn't. :p )

7. miicah

miicah Member

I'm still angry I never got to go to SEGA world when it still existed. I think my first trip on a plane was to Sydney and I was devastated to find out it had closed a few months earlier.

As for my first game, it would have been on the old 286 we got from our friends dad, with some version of DOS on it. It was in this series, but I think it was more of a platformer:

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  8. power

power Member

those machines were there in '93, i took a non-gaming mate he giggled like a school girl he had so much fun. A real gaming highlight.

elvis likes this.
  9. Phido

Phido Member

First actual game? Don't know. Pong or space invaders arcade. Hard to tell would have been early 80's.
    Some apple II stuff early 80's visiting a friend, I don't think I was allowed to touch it..

First game I played might have been something for the XT.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncing_Babies_(video_game)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_(video_game)

I definitely remember both of those being new and fancy. Games before that I think were really only text character based on the PC.

First game we played at home. I think dad bought home one of those telecom thingies, and it could let you play hang man. But really it was the C64 Lemans with Paddles. It was the first game we loaded up (cartridge no basic commands required) and blew our minds. Colour, sound, paddle action. I think I might have played Donkey Kong on the Vic20 at someones house before that.

elvis likes this.
  10. bergerac

bergerac Member

Pretty sure it was a colecovision with zaxxon and mouse trap but I do have vague memories of playing a game with elevators in a borrowed mac

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  11. Hater

Hater Member

My 10th birthday party present from my parents was my first plane trip... and to SEGA world about a week after it opened :leet:

Loved it.

12. power

power Member

impossible mission? was that even on Mac?

13. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Of course it's all myth/legend/hearsay. The GC Bulletin does have a look-back article though that indicates there may be some truth to it.

Back on topic, trying to remember if console or PC came first for me....probably PC in the mighty Microbee and Taipan!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  14. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Alley Cat for when the parents were in the room. Astrotit for when they weren't. :lol:

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I think that was a story just to freak kids out, and it worked :)

Tops was good, but I still preferred the Albert St arcade that was closest to the mall... there were two, timezone and ???
    I think timezone had ourun for $1 a game. what a bargain :)
    they also had the laser disk game with the knight and the dragon ... the name escapes me
    both were in high demand :thumbup:

Magic Mountain however, was lame city for games. cool magic show, but that was all

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    fredhoon likes this.
  16. power

power Member

Dragon's Lair

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

thats the one !
    timing was EVERYTHING in that game. hardest game I ever played

18. power

power Member

first QTE based game I can remember - and it predated Quicktime by many many years!

absolute dollar muncher which is why the home ports were the way to go. The Amiga port was surprisingly good.

19. HuggyBear

HuggyBear Member

Elevator Action at the local bowling alley.

Still play the remaster on the PS3.

- Bear

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

I could never enjoy that game. Sexy as hell, but the whole "Interactive cartoon" thing just left me annoyed.

Top game. Check out "Elevator Action Returns" too. It's a brilliant sequel, available as part of the "Taito Legends 2" pack.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/elevator-action-returns/

connico and MUTMAN like this.