Your home network

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by alvarez, Dec 31, 2007.

1. alvarez

alvarez Member

So ive always been interested in computer systems and networks so I want to know what makes up your home network?

Have you got gateways, servers, hubs, switches, Folding farms, WAPs, LAMPs what kind of connection you are on, Is your house wired for it, Is it all high end rackmount gear or just boxes strewn about and what do you use it all for?

To start I have a bog standard:

Modem > Clark connect gateway > Switch > WAP > PC and laptop
    >Main PC / HTTPC

What is everyone else running?

2. Franko

Franko Member

We have got the whole house wired to the study, it goes to a wallplate with 5 ports on it, from there we run patches to the Billion 7300G.

Modem -> 3 PC's (ethernet) + Laptops (wireless) + Server (streams video to all PC's) + HTPC (ethernet, loungeroom)

I want to get a clarkconnect (or similar) box one day too :)

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

There are some people with serious home setups floating about here. Mine is very simple, only cabling is between lounge and study. Dlink 504T acting as a modem to a SME570 doing the routing (inc some VPN stuff to work etc). Am currently setting up a box to leave on 24/7 as LAMP and NAS if it proves to perform well enough. May also make it replace the SME570 but not 100% sure just yet.

SME570 goes to a crappy belkin router acting just as a switch and WAP, then onto my PCs + a laptop + PSP + mobile etc.

4. barney

barney Member

I thought there was a big "show us your network" thread, but search doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment...:confused:

Anyway, here is mine;

[​IMG]

Soon to be revamped when we do some home renos to include central splitter / filter, patch panel, data points in each room, central voip device etc....

5. nexx

nexx Member

I just have everything running through a Billion modem/router/voip. Might get some gigabit happening in the future.

Modem, phone & Computer 2 are in the study. Cat5E runs under the house to the bedroom (Computer 1), and also from the bedroom to the lounge (where the Xbox acts as a media center).

[​IMG]

6. TMM

TMM Member

(icons shamelessly stolen from barney)
    [​IMG]

The HTPC still needs a cable run through the wall but thats where it'll connect. When thats done i'll get gigabit switches :).

7. Fishmaster

Fishmaster Member

Code:
                           -- Parent's Computer
                          /
    modem|router --- Switch ------- My computer
                                        \  \  \
                                         \  \    -- File Server
                                          \  \
                                           \   -- PS3
                                            \
                                              -- Who ever comes over

Sorry for the vague diagram but it was the easiest and quickest way to show it. The main stuff runs from the switch and serves the most purpose, eventually I want to get a HTPC frontend setup which would join the network at the router as its the closest point of connection for it while keeping the backend either installed on the file server or build up another server to connect in from the switch.

8. Vampire

Vampire Member

Heres mine, also using stolen icons from barney.

[​IMG]

Note the 2 separate ISPs. The server uses ISP#1 (Unlimited download/upload limit), the rest of the PC's use ISP#2. That way I can download 24/7 and never be lagged while surfing the net. I can change which PC uses which ISP simply by changing the gateway IP in Windows.

9. barney

barney Member

10. gl_au88

gl_au88 Member

i double posted, look below :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  11. davidw89

davidw89 Member

What ISP is that?? And how much does it cost to have 2 lines in your house? So you're paying twice the line rental fee?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  12. gl_au88

gl_au88 Member

my home setup
    [​IMG]

basically my pc and file server are networked through cross cable directly too. so i have faster access to it, has all my crap backed up and d/ls running half days, set it to schedule poff and on.

my sis's pc only has nic so no wireless, so it goes directly to router

wireless also connects to my old mans laptop and my laptop or ds etc, whatever else i bring home.

13. Vampire

Vampire Member

Yes paying for 2 x line rentals. One is mine and the other is my parents. I dont ever make phone calls off mine though ;)

ISP for downloading is g-node. Ive never been slowed or capped, ever. Roughly average 300gb a month on 1.5mbit. Other ISP for net browsing/gaming is bigpond 1.5mbit.

14. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

15. PhuckNut

PhuckNut Member

16. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

[​IMG]

Well above is my home network, totally over kill for a home network :) just like us overclockers like it. Just moved (2 months back) into a Cisco Security position so learning lots at the moment about the different cisco security products.

Vast majority of my servers are VMware virtual machines running on a single q6600@3.0Ghz with 8GB of RAM.

Most of my equipment is all in my office but i have proper cabling going to the bedrooms and lounge room for Girlfriends PC & HTPC.

17. Gierke

Gierke Member

Billion 7300G > 8 Port 10/100 > My PC, Server that does torrents/downloads etc, and any other PCs I'm working on or fiddleing with.

Laptop runs off wifi from the 7300G, unless I have it plugged into the switch for big transfers etc.

18. Gecko

Gecko Member

The way my network is currently looking:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

On the left side, we have the DC. This is some space that I rent from one of my customers, who has a very over-specced server room for their current needs, so they were happy to allow me to rent enough floor space for a rack from them.

pfSense@DC is a 1RU Compaq DL320 G1 server - that one really just deals with the VPN routing between the two sites.

Thomas-S2, Thomas-S3, Thomas-S4 are all Compaq DL380 G2 servers. V1-6 are all Debian virtual machines for testing purposes using Xen. V7 and V8 are both Windows 2003 server VMWare machines, again for testing. Thomas-S1 is a custom 4RU Windows 2003 test box and my torrenting box - for all of those Linux distro updates. Thomas-B1 is an old Compaq desktop with a couple of 320GB HDDs that gets RSYNC backups of various systems around the world that the company manages.

On the right side, we have the house. There is both a TPG ADSL2+ link and a Optus Cable link, load balanced using pfSense on a old desktop computer. Nirwana-S1 is the DHCP/DNS/Mail/etc server for the family. All of the other house computers should be fairly self explanatory.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  19. Texxx

Texxx Member

New house will have a small cabinet in garage with a :
    Modem
    Switch - 16 port
    Cable Manager
    48 port Patch panel - 30 ports full - 10 triple face plates
    16 port Coax patch panel - 10 ports full - 5 double face plates
    Cable Manager
    Speaker Panel
    Amplifier for internal and external speakers
    Surge supression rail
    Power

Will run a tie cable from Telstra's pop back to the patch panel and jumper the home phone to every third jack on each data outlet.

Some busy week ends coming soon :thumbdn:

20. Bass

Bass Member

I don't even know what half the stuff you guys have does. Mine is as follows:

---->ADSL

goes to

----> BILLION MODEM/ROUTER

goes to each of these

---->PC 1 (Gaming Wireless)
    ---->PC 2 (HTPC/Fileserver Wireless)
    ---->PC 3 (Girlfriends PC Ethernet)
    ---->LAPTOP (Girlfriends Wireless)
    ---->XBOX360 (Ethernet)

So what extra functionality do you guys get by using switches etc? I really hate cables running all over the place. I live in a rental otherwise I would probably install network ports etc and run cables in the walls, but at the moment I prefer wireless for less clutter. Makes transferring files from the fileserver to my gaming computer a bit slow but I only do that once in a blue moon. For speed, latency etc wired is definitely superior to wireless correct?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008