Your home network

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by alvarez, Dec 31, 2007.

1. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

This limitation can be licensing($$$ feature) or switch related.

In this case it's most likely the crappy switch you've got.

2. zha50

zha50 Member

Switch FW maybe. But are the Linksys SRW20xx switches really that 'crappy', tho its nothing like ProCurve or Cisco?

Anyone got LACP/802.3ad working 100% on these series of switches?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. es02

es02 Member

about $150/quater I think. although thats about to go up as we've just added a pair of 14U servers.

4. oli

oli Member

A quarter? WTF?

My bill is like $450 a quarter!

5. nexx

nexx Member

Proposed layout for the new apartment.

[​IMG]

6. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Slight update. We decided to move away from a HTPC and have ended up with 3 x TiVos in the house instead (two living areas plus our bedroom).

[​IMG]

7. jamo22

jamo22 New Member

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

hills home hub or /clipsal star serve in wall enclosure

9. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

What program do you people use to create those nifty diagrams??

My setup.

3 x PC + TV (netcast LG) + Xbox 360, all connected via wireless to

D-Link DVA-G3670B Wireless G ADSL2/2+ VoIP Modem Router
    Oh and Telephone connect for Viop.

10. woodys_world69

woodys_world69 Member

visio

but there might be a free alternative out there

11. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Another update. Have added a few more new toys, including a Dell 1082DS KVM that I picked up for a song on graysonline - in anticipation of a second server sometime soonish.

Apologies for the large image.

[​IMG]

12. oli

oli Member

What's NTD?

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Network Termination Device. Probably a bit un-necessary in the diagram.

14. oli

oli Member

What is the ratio of people to IP addresses in your house?

15. Pugs

Pugs Member

very unessary as it is passive device to do with the telecommincations network and technically not yours.. :tongue:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  16. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Currently 3 people to 25 IP addresses (I think) if everything was on at the same time (not very likely).

It's amazing how many devices take an IP address these days, and we don't have any IP-enabled TVs, smartphones, automation, etc.

We do have a fair bit of duplication at our place though, as it's a 2 storey house, so we have 2 x Wireless APs, 2 x printers, etc for convenience.

As an aside, I have a formal flexible working arrangement with my employer, where I work from home every second week. Because of this, I have a fairly well kitted out home office. When we built our house 2 years ago, I put 8 ports in the office, and I thought that would be plenty. Already, I only have one spare port:

- My personal PC (1 port)
    - PC provided by my employer (1 port)
    - Printer/scanner/fax/copier (2 ports - 1 x network, 1 x POTS for fax)
    - Backup NAS for the server (1 port)
    - Wireless AP (1 port)
    - Phone (1 port for VoIP)

The NAS and Wireless AP might have to move elsewhere soon (they don't have to be in that room).

My advice for anyone putting cabling into their house is to think how many ports you might want in a room, and then double it :)

Well, technically our network starts there, so that's why I left it in.

17. Revenger

Revenger Member

Just whipped a diagram up online so I have it handy.

Its not much but its what I have here as a single person.

The network cables are colored by there jacket to show the different types of devices and routing for when I need to do anything as the actual cable is all the same color.

Click to view full size!

Cables are just running over the floor as its just a unit I'm renting.

Android Phone is also used as a remote for my HTPC via 'mpc&vlc remote' for mkv's etc and the 'TMT5 server' for 3D blueray.

The Wii icon is the only one the online network diagramer had but its a ps2 not currently linked into network which is used to backup and restore game saves over FTP and will be a newer console one day.

Test is Win8 RP currently and backup/second system for when I need it.

Other will eventually be a linux system on a athlon XP which used to be my server before I got the microserver once I get hdd's.

Both Test and Other share both monitors as they both have 2 inputs where both DVI's are on Test and VGA are on other.

Yep Main has 3 dell u2410 monitors for surround gaming.

Sometime later I'll have another system to add to the diagram for Retro/Mame games hopefully.

If I was to show my HDMI diagram the HTPC/Main/Test are connected to the TV for various things.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  18. derek_gruending

derek_gruending Member

19. CM96

CM96 Member

[​IMG]

Quick & dirty draw up. Fairly sure I've missed out a laptop or two but I'm too tired to think about it right now.

20. Revenger

Revenger Member

Ive gotten yEd which is a great totally free tool like visio for doing diagrams and just for networks its fine.

Doesn't have many things in its catalog but a good thing is any transparent png or jpg file you have can be imported into the program so if you have visio network icons in that format etc your set also visio stencils can be imported directly into the application.

As well you can search for icons in app that uses iconfinder.

I made my diagram in that application on what I will be doing more of including everything apart from my hand held game consoles which I use the PSPGo I have on wireless sometimes and a dead android tablet, I'll add those in later and overwrite this image in PIX when that happens.

Here is what I made. (Yep know some devices aren't transparent on edges, thats because I made those but don't have photoshop installed right now so I'll fix that when I do)

There all the proper images for devices apart from the 3 towers on the second switch and a generic phone icon.

Click to view full size!

Is it better to have stock icons like most of the network graphs?

I'll give you guys a challenge, recommend me stuff I can play around with on this network either virtual or ways I can do things differently and better and why I should add/do it.

The 2 unbuilt systems systems are as they say not built one is a Athlon XP 2600 the other is a AM2 6000 which I need to find uses for as I want the AM2 system to be for Mame and DDR etc eventually.

So find me a reason to install linux on the Athlon XP 2600 :D or something to do on the old eMac

Ip's are not in yet as I'll be redoing a few of them to static etc so Ill update that later.

Microserver is on second switch atm until I can get new drives and then redo windows as its been like that for a year or so :/ and also I need to fix some crashing issue I had but the diagram is what I want to be normal network setup.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012