Your home network

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by alvarez, Dec 31, 2007.

1. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Hi there mine is all wireless except the main computer the one in my sig.

I have wired Win 7 Ult > Nas and Wirless modem/router then Wireless TV, Blu Ray, iPad3, Vista Laptop, HP Win 7 Laptop, P4 system,4 phones,ipod touch etc.
    Printer is to be wired when I get to it.
    I'm about to add a range booster as my sons room is behind a large double brick chimney. DLink was fine but new modem it gets to his door then drops out.

Was going to make it all wired but have to drill in to floor so will keep it wifi.

Will draw a pic of setup soon and update.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. nurple

nurple Member

Basic setup but has been working well for 3 years :)

Would like to put in some kind of firewall device so I don't have to rely on modem/router but never really found a cheapish alternative.

Click to view full size!

3. Revenger

Revenger Member

I don't fully understand this.

Your patch has 6 active ports then you have 3 more lan connections for pc's but all on a 8 port switch and the incoming making 10 connections that I can see.

How do you keep all your ports active together as thats not shown in the diagram.

From your switch to patch to rooms and lan that isn't shown properly with devices unless you just connect up ports as you need as you have shown 1 port from the switch to your patch then 6 from the patch and should have a legend or something to show how many ports are going where etc and how its configured.

To someone who doesn't know your network it appears that you are using the patch and the 3 lan all tired to 1 cable port at the switch or the 3 pc's at the bottom are switched physically with the cable when needed.

These things kinda should be clear in your diagrams.

As yes I had a family member try to do that split a lan cable to 2 pc's using one of those doubler things without realising it uses 1 cable but you need 2 doublers one on each end and it only runs the slower 10/100 speed by only using half the wires for each pc.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. nurple

nurple Member

That design I did 4 years ago when playing around in visio so take it as if I drew it on paper with minimal knowledge of network diagrams.

5. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Ummm, slightly faster? No, a LOT faster :lol: See your 11 Mbit/s and raise you my 1000 Mbit/s (gigabit)

6. fetetert

fetetert Member

7. Revenger

Revenger Member

This is a old thread but last I could find, seems this topic isn't that interesting over the years of showing your networks.

How have your networks changed now and anyone with a bigger home network with virtual lans firewalls etc want to share? as I'm curious to seeing the more geeky networks people have with vms etc and why you have them.

I updated my network graph today The ip's haven't really been updated on diagram apart from my server which I want to sort out allocations one day, much is the same just a few more devices and more unused systems I have now added to the diagram (find me a use for them if you can), will be some minor changes when I decide to clean it up alittle and buy more switches etc. This is all for me 1 person, renting.

Though most of this diagram is what's going to be then.

As for the first switch all things are showing cables but its only a 8 port switch and some cables aka ps2/tv are disconnected as I don't use them so I want a 16 port switch.

Would love to move my microserver onto the main switch than having it bridged like it is but to do that it would have to be running in the lounge where the rest of the gear is and phone line which I don't want, also it uses 2 network ports and I can really only run 1 semi hidden cable along the wall to it, if the management and network shared the port all good bring on the main switch but it doesn't, as its in the laundry where I can shut the door.

Test is a temporary floating cable I am running into the laundry , till I can sort something out, as I don't have a long enough cable to go to the main switch and the bench is close to that door.

I may do a house floorplan with this gear also with all the wires going round.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  8. McRutch

McRutch Member

i don't have visio so i'l just write mine out :thumbup:

Network Equipment

Draytek Vigor 2830N
    Netgear 24port switch
    Cisco 1142N WAP (house)
    TPlink running openWRT (garage)

Wired in CAT6

2x Dekstop PCs
    2x Norco 4224's 1 running FreeNAS the other running server2k8
    2x Sonos Connect:Amps
    2x IP surveilance cameras
    2x Samsung Smart TVs
    1x Foxtel IQ box
    1x Denon AMP
    1x Ps3
    1x HTPC
    2x WDTVs
    1x Global Cache RJ45 -> serial adapter (controls 4x4 hdmi matrix)
    1x Global Cache RJ45 -> infrared adapter (controls foxtel)
    1x Alarm system network integration
    1x network printer

Wireless

2x Phones
    1x iPad
    1x Laptop

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. GDavid

GDavid Member

Seriously embarrassed... :o

I am such a noob with networking. I struggled on through with previously connecting the TV to the net, laptops and mobiles/smartphones over wifi.
    After having the BiPac rma'd about a fortnight ago, the TV will not see the wifi.

Seems something is messed up since getting the RMA unit...

[​IMG]

Are there major and glaring issues in the above image, are there fairly easy fixes?
    Could someone please point me in the direction so that I can start learning about networking?

10. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Well I guess the question I'd ask is why there are so many switches and hubs in a line. Ideally, you don't want so many hops between things - so you connect things together so the maximum is perhaps one or two network links (not the ... seven I think I see there).

So you might have one switch connected to all the other switches and the modem, and PCs connected to those switches. Still not ideal, but could be part of the problem.

Also, hubs are just bad joo-joo nowadays. Is it actually a hub and not a switch? The giveaway is if you do a large file copy from a PC on port 1 to a PC on port 2 (of that device and ONLY that device), all the ports flash the same. A switch _should_ confine the traffic to ports 1 and 2.

11. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

I wouldn't put too much faith in those Windows 7 networking maps. I've had some strange interpretations of my home network.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Mine can't put anything into a map..... :lol:

13. Revenger

Revenger Member

Just thought about this thread again and updated my graph locally on my pc cleaning up the images etc to be proper transparent backgrounds.

My network hasn't changed at all since the graph above, but I am however actually getting that stuff I pre planned into the graph above, the amp and bigger switch as well as more network cables etc I'll be making up.

I guess you could say the graph above was my lan I should have in reality it wasn't as setup with tv on wifi and a 8 port switch with not all cables always connected etc, but will be all good by the end of the year.

For anyone wondering what I use I use the free yEd they have a version for all os's windows / osx / linux and java as well as a online version.

All I do is grab images of the actual products make sure they're transparent and drag them into the window, resize and then drag lines between the devices making sure you start at a switch and first point as the way you drag designates the source/target, its as simple as that and all free that anyone here could use it to do a graph for this and other things.

All images get converted to a symbol and then saved inside the file along with everything else so no worrying about having to keep a folder of images with the file which is a plus my graph file is 5mb abouts.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  14. davros123

davros123 Member

MATE! Love the setup! Very similar to mine :)
    We should catch up and compare notes.

Network equipment
    Netgear ADSL modem (in bridged mode)
    pfSense 2.2 appliance (dedicated box)
    HP 1810-24 24 port managed switch
    3Com 10 port PoE switch
    Netgear 8 port switch (work bench)
    Netgear 8 port PoE switch (garage)

Wireless
    Ubiquiti AC AP (WiFi Access Point)
    1 x Central Heating/Cooling Networked Controller
    7 x laptops/tablets/phones
    Power monitoring (433Mhz Wireless)
    Various Sensors (433Mhz Wireless)

Wired in Cat6

My Gaming PC
    Norco 4224 w. IPMI & running esxi 5.5 ~40TB
    Backup Server w esxi 5.5 ~ 15TB
    7 x IP cams
    2 x Smart TV
    3 x xbmc (Apple TV, nano, HTPC)
    6 x HDMI over Cat6
    3 x IP phones (1xCisco + 2xATA's)
    1 x Foxtel IQ2
    1 x TiVo HD
    1 x Music Server (JRiver on Atom PC)
    2 x GlobalCache IP2IR
    1 x HomeAutomation Hub (Arduino/RasPi)
    1 x Alarm system network integration
    1 x network printer
    1 x APC 2200 UPS (network controlled)
    1 x Sprinkler controller (OpenSprinkler)

6 x OneWire Temperature Sensors (separate OneWire network)

15. fetetert

fetetert Member

So I've moved house and few things have changed:

Click to view full size!

16. davros123

davros123 Member

Plenty of room for expansion with that 48 Port switch :)

17. fetetert

fetetert Member

Haha...that's the plan, eventually I'd like to patch the entire house, a few drops in each bedroom, lots in the lounges etc. With a new mortgage and new baby it is still just a pipe dream though!

18. McRutch

McRutch Member

yes lots of similarities, but reading yours makes me want to expand :shock: