Your most unforgettable arcade experience.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jul 27, 2010.

1. power

power Member

This is a step beyond fave games, what was the moment in the arcades that you remember forever?

For me it was playing on Dactyl Nightmare machine (W Industries Virtuality - Amiga 3000 powered ) with a mate in Brisbane's Tops.

That single experience blew my mind so much in so many ways I don't think that any other arcade experience could - for me the special cabs were where it was at.

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=dactyl-nightmare&page=detail&id=12493

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spaced1

spaced1 Member

Seeing Mortal Kombat one for the first time in arcade format.

3. paganchild

paganchild Member

gauntlet

Hours of fun.. and coins..:thumbup:

4. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Seeing Time Traveller circa 1991. Holographic style game that blew my mind. Saw heaps of others when I was young but it stood out.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Beating a bunch of Asian students 20-0 in SF2 Hyper Fighting. They all took turns, but no-one could match my Vega (claw).

Many years earlier, seeing Final Fight for the first time. Those sprites were huge, and so detailed! It was mind blowing.

And before that: Operation Wolf. Just wow!

6. domlebo

domlebo Member

8 WAY DAYTONA RACING at school birthday parties!

7. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

cant remember the name of the game, but its the flight one you sat in and the whole arcade machine tilted / shifted as you flew around killing things...i think it was in the movie terminator 2?

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Afterburner or G-Loc.

AB was in T2

9. schnappy

schnappy Member

When going around pressing all the start buttons paid off and I got a free game on pinball.

10. BMan2

BMan2 Member

the first time I beat a 9 step DDR dance with a massive crowd of people around at a Timezone in Melbourne - more amazed at the fact I am 6'8 and about 150kgs :p It's not easy.

Better memories were playing 4 player TMNT and finishing it after inserting a years worth of 20c coins in :p

Worst memory - beating NBA Jam 26-0 (at the cost of $3/game) - and being told "Congrats - game over"

11. ipex

ipex Member

on a skill tester at timezone , won 10 watches spending only $7 , one go i got 3 watches in one hit , the manager of the store cracked the shits came over and said he will have to make it harded , opened the machine up tweaked it some and couldn't win a watch after that

or world cup soccer pinball got a shitload of free credits off that game getting all the bonus's; and stuff

streetfighter 2 was and mortal kombat was a pro in those games , kicked everyone's arse

skeeball ticket game at timezone , a kid teaching me the trick that the machine only keeps track of the balls when they come down the return shoot , walking up beside the machine and pushing your hand down the middle hole 100 points and watching the shitload of tickets come out , until again they caught onto that trick and put nets up

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  12. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

There was another game on the W Industries machines that I played - a flight sim from memory??
    I actually seriously considered dropping out of school for a job with W industries at one stage, they were opening an office in Melbourne and wanted young enthusiastic people to work there. That would have been a great career move..... not.

13. Rezin

Rezin Member

I remember playing this at a shopping centre up here in the early 90's. Was quite different to what I'd thought it'd be like... was expecting Lawnmower Man-type ":shock:", but unfortunately it wasn't.

14. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Played the Dactly Nightmare when it first came out, then there was another one, sorta like mechs in an arena, wasn't too bad.
    Got into Galaxy Force and G-Loc 360, but that one cost $5 a go.

Most memorable would be G-Loc 360 and also Double Dragon at the local pizza shop, then finally being able to finish it on 1 credit.

15. ryno

ryno Member

Afterburner :thumbup:

16. captainpotato

captainpotato Member

First time I ever saw Gauntlet: Downtown on Hindley Street in 1985.

17. .:front2back:.

.:front2back:. Member

Using the hot-water sparker to get phree credit's.

Or using the on/off "Reboot" trick on pinn-balls machines to get extra goes.

also playing MK1 for the very 1st time, while nervously watching over my shoulder to make sure my mother didn't spot me playing such a "Violent" game :D

18. Heywood

Heywood Member

Was it BattleTech? http://www.virtualworld.com/ I remember it Intencity in Paramatta had some of these things and it was very cool to look at, somewhat expensive to play with lots of monitors and controls, always wanted a chance to get good at it but never had the opportunity.

They seem to have evolved over the years - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaP49w9MuY

Anyone know if there's something like this about in Australia?

Intencity had other VirtualWorld games like Red planet (a hover racer type game) and some hydraulic combat flight sim.

19. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

Being able to beat mission 1 stage 1 & 2, mission 2 stage 1, 2 & 3, and parts of mission 3 and 4 on Shinobi without throwing a ninja star earning 20,000 bonus points each time and having my name at the top of the high score list for about 5 years at an arcade in Brisbane.

20. flain

flain Member

Ahh yes vega claw, so powerfull in hyper fighting! vega also had a counter for just about every move - he was so underrated! :p

My most memorable was being able to beat King of the Monsters on neogeo from start to finish on one credit! Beetlemania!!!