Your Photo of the Week (13th March 2011)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by sir_bazz, Mar 13, 2011.

1. mpot

mpot Member

A friend pointed out the branding on the bobcat is "CASE", which fits the context too!

2. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Shot on Sunday at the Taste of Sydney event at Centennial Park.

Fun day, slightly unusual shot... with the blurry bottle and all but I like all the different people doing different things.

[​IMG]

Cheers

3. Iseneye

Iseneye Member

I'm no photographer but the blurry bottle in the foreground makes it feel like you're spying on the subjects.

4. alch

alch Member

protip; if your going to snap up chicks feeding children, breast feeding shots are the way to go :>

I vote for my picture of the cop hiding in the bus shelter.!

5. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Out of all my Womadelaide photos I love this one of Nathalie Natiembe because I saw the opportunity to position the backlight with the Megaphone.
    I quickly moved to the position and took a couple of frames before the lighting changed

[​IMG]

6. cowwws2

cowwws2 Member

Spent the weekend at Queenscliff, Vic - snapped a few night shots but this is the one I like the most.

[​IMG]

7. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

That looks great - nice anticipation for the frame, lined it up perfectly :)

8. Pirki

Pirki Member

Lorne Pier, taken late last year processed this week

[​IMG]

9. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

^ your horizon is crooked, and you really need to crop some from the left & top so the pier dominates the shot more

10. zaneus

zaneus Member

[​IMG]

Took this one today. didnt look entirely great in colour so ive been playing around with it for a while. Found something i like :)

11. nafan08

nafan08 Member

12. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

13. tompee

tompee Member

He could crop some off the top I guess, but I like how the pier leads to the centre of the shot. Also, the black nothingness on the left kind of contrasts with the lights of the pier on the right.

EDIT - This is easily my photo of the week. I was very happy with this because I'm not a photographer and for the first hour of my visit to the Aquarium, the photo's from my little point and shoot (Canon SX120IS) were a disaster. Low light, motion blur, etc etc. I couldn't find an auto setting that would work ("night shots", "indoors" etc).
    So, I took a deep breath and flicked it over to manual mode. I knew I needed to figure out how to make the shutter open for a shorter time, but of course that made all the photo's dark. My sister said she thought the "F" setting was how wide the shutter opens, so I set that to the maximum it would go. Bumped up the ISO, but that would make all the photo's grainy, so I'd have to bring it back down to 200 or 400, have the shutter held open longer, which would bring back motion blur. So it was all a big balancing act and there are STILL half an hours worth of crap photo's while I figured it out.

Thankfully the focus didn't need too much input for stuff further than 2 metres away, but I did try some macro stuff as well.

Anyway, it all started coming together when I had the best compromise I could come to, and I got this pic. I've used Irfanview to brighten it up because I was selecting the shortest exposure time I could get away with, but that's all the PP that has been done.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  14. zaneus

zaneus Member

Did you set the F stop to the highest or lowest number? Many people get caught out by this, the wider you want the aperture, the lower the number. For instance, 2.8 is wider than 22. That is a nice photo however :thumbup:

15. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

This "manual by necessity" story is almost exactly how my little photography journey began, except I was at a fleetwood mac concert (once in a lifetime?) :)
    Nice going - hopefully it'll grab you too

16. Vrm

Vrm Member

Nafan, i dig those colors, so intense!!

17. tompee

tompee Member

Thanks zaneus!
    Haha, yeah, the f-stop setting was counterintuitive to me as well. Luckily in this day and age of immediate feedback on the LCD, I saw that the higher values made the pictures darker, so I went the other way. The lowest it would go is 2.8, which I used in the darkness from then on.

Thanks cleary. I had a bit more time and space to think in the Aquariam than you probably did at the concert! Took me probably an hour and lots of dud pics before it started working.

18. Ploddy

Ploddy Member

19. nafan08

nafan08 Member

Thanks im still new to sunsets only done a few getting better all the time :)

20. MadMonkOfFunk

MadMonkOfFunk Member