1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Photo of the Week (29th of March 2020)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Deftone2k, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

A new thread every week where you can post a shot for the week.

It may be your favourite for any number of reasons, ie technically good, a favourite model, or even just because it's different to what you normally shoot.

Add the story that goes with the picture if you like but it's not necessary. It's just an excuse to post a picture that you'd like to share.

Feel free to ask for a critique if you like and comment on other shots if you wish.

Last week's "Your Photo of the Week" thread is here

2. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

[​IMG]

Was awesome to shoot yet another fellow OCAU'ers wedding recently and we lucked out with a clear sky for some stars :)

A73 + 16-35GM for those playing at home.

MR CHILLED, s4Rg3, clonex and 2 others like this.
  3. Digit

Digit Member

Absolutely love how it turned out! Thanks Jack

Deftone2k likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

Thanks for having me along :D

5. John_Boy

John_Boy Member

Another ripper shot mate!

6. John_Boy

John_Boy Member

[​IMG]

Doors are closed to the public at work due to COVID-19 restrictions. Using the time to get some teaser shots of the vehicles in the collection, and practice some light-painting!

clockwork and Digit like this.
  7. NymPhD

NymPhD Member

The last image i got in before all the National Parks were shut in Tassie. A real shame in my opinion for those of us who rely on these places and the solitude for our mental health :confused:

[​IMG]Mystery Creek cave by James Davidson, on Flickr

MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Amazing shot above me, that's awesome.

[​IMG]

Kariong Waterfall by Me, on Flickr

First serious return to photography for a few years. A little bummed out about the DoF not picking up the background detail here. I guess f8 was too shallow or maybe the AF grabbed the ferny stuff bottom right. Or both! Post in Lightroom with a custom tuned preset.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  9. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

Welcome back.

17-40L is not known for great edge info and its definitely the case here. Front right is definitely more 'in focus' so perhaps just go for a more middle ground of focus (like the front rocks of the water fall, the interest point) or take a few frames and stack your focus :)

10. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Thank you, considering the crop this may even make more sense. I'll go check out the original and bear it in mind in future.

What was the technique in your shot? It looks incredible and I'd have no idea where to begin to replicate something like that.

Deftone2k likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

Sorry man missed your reply. Usually aim to do them in one exposure but depends on the flaring/flash and subject movement. In this case the light spill was the hardest between different reference frames. Basically though it's a long exposure with a flash firing at the beginning of the exposure and then usually a blip with a LED light on the subjects to light them up. With a long enough exposure to catch the sky detail needed to bring it out.

Variables always are ambient light of location, sky, proximity to cities etc etc. Also the balance my goal is to always have the foreground and subjects seemlessly blend with the sky. So compared to lots of other astro shots where the milky way core etc is brought out very prominently etc I want it to feel as real as it was.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, some absolutely cracking shots. Love the perfect framing of the cave shot.

13. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Awesome, thank for the outline. I'm brushing up on strobist ATM and this is really cool.