Your Photo of the Year - 2018

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Deftone2k, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I cant believe 2018 is almost done!

What a year it has been for many. Lots of new faces on the forum here, as well as a few stop ins from the oldies. I noted the year started quietly but lots of new chatter and excitement around a year of photography changes.

The way Sony is capturing the market is exciting, and I hope to see many more shares on the forum here in 2019. I know it's easy to just post in the weekly thread (I am also guilty) but do please share galleries of your favourite photos from time to time (even if its just one). The discussion is always great too.

This year I am going to open it up to your favourite 1-3 photos. However please post them all in the one post.

If you have many more then please also make your own year in review post. Feel free to link to your 'Year Of' post when you do decided to share a photo in here.

Please add the story that goes with the picture if you like but it's not necessary. The story or journey or reason why is always enjoyable to read as a fellow enthusiast. The context and story is always great when paired with an image as well.

Below you can find previous 'Best of Threads' by year.

Your Photo of the Year - 2017

Your Photo of the Year - 2016

Your Photo of the Year - 2015

Your Photo of the Year - 2014

Being this is the 5th year we are running the 'Your Photo of the Year' it is a great milestone, and it is so great to be able to look back and see all of the changes, improvements and growth the photography community has had here on OCAU!

Thank you for all of your contributions throughout the year, and I look forward to seeing them all in 2019!

herzeg and firey4059 like this.
  2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

These are my images of the year mainly due to all the interest it's received..

2 magazines (Flight Path, Australian Flying), Paul Bennett Airshows Calendar and I sold the whole album of pics to the pilot, Glenn Collins..

[​IMG]

2nd is of 2OCU CO Scott Woodland departing Wings Over Illawarra.

Looks like Vietnam but it's not.

[​IMG]

And finally, starting to really nail slow pans, so while it being a gorgeous subject, hanging onto 1/30th at 400mm is a challenge and turns what would be a good photo into something a lot more. Technical difficult is 11 out of 10 ..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Eclipsor, Digit, herzeg and 4 others like this.
  3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Glad you made it 3 because I've been thinking about this thread for a week and been having a hell of a time picking one lol.

Going to go with these, in no particular order, numbers for identification only:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :)

Eclipsor, herzeg, fredhoon and 3 others like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Another fun year with some awesome travel involved. Havent really scratched the surface on my personal work for 2018 but these are probably my top 3.

1. Snaefellsnes Elopement
    [​IMG]

2. I photographed my sister in law's wedding and we captured this during the evening with this fire up on the range
    [​IMG]

3. The Icelandic Fisherman - This ticks all my photography boxes. A lone fisherman fishing the edge of a lava field in Iceland
    [​IMG]

Eclipsor, Digit, herzeg and 3 others like this.
  5. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Has been a pretty good year for me behind the camera. Managed to get a solid 6-7 months of studio shoots with my home set-up. But now I have really enjoyed getting back to location stuff of late as well as some boudoir too. However probably the biggest change in 2018 has been taking on a lot more shoots with child models.

Gear-wise my A7II is fairly beat-up but functional still. I'll just keep using it until it dies I think as I don't believe I am being held back by this body in any significant way (although high ISO is really ordinary).

With that ... my personal faves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eclipsor, herzeg and Deftone2k like this.
  6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Taken at a friends wedding (of the bride and groom)
    [​IMG]

Birth of my daughter (technically I didn't take it, but it was my camera)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. TwinII

TwinII Member

Eclipsor, Digit, herzeg and 4 others like this.
  8. Ospi

Ospi Member

Great shots in here, good to see such a range of disciplines too.

My favourite 3, I think..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eclipsor, John_Boy, herzeg and 4 others like this.
  9. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Eclipsor likes this.
  10. Digit

Digit Member

Here are my three in no particular order.

1. Bioluminescent Dinoflagellates (Sea Sparkles) down at Jervis Bay. Cannot believe how amazing this was to witness first hand, I was absolutely blown away!!
    _DSC9070-Pano-Edit.jpg

2. I went to Iceland earlier in the year, with my partner of 8 years and I finally popped the question under an incredible display of Aurora (this was a 1sec exposure, so you can see it was super bright, and as the night went on so many colours came out, pinks, purples, yellows!) Not the best looking photo, but definitely one of the most special. Check out my others on my Flickr if you're interested! :)
    [​IMG]_DSC0286 by Martin Juleff, on Flickr

3. This year I also purchased my first telephoto zoom lens so I could get into some wildlife photography. Here's one of my favourites (I know, I"m very newbie!)
    [​IMG]Crested Shrike Tit by Martin Juleff, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. Xang

Xang Member

Eclipsor, Digit, die_piggy and 2 others like this.
  12. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Great selection of images so far. Thanks to Jack too for maintaining the psyche for the weekly threads and stuff again this year.

2018 was an interesting year for me photography wise. I had the lowest motivation year for a long time and I even got to the point of selling off a number of lenses. I also didn't do quite as much bushwalking as the last few years which is where most of my inspration comes from.

On the other hand I did get overseas for the first time in a very long time and had a few very memorable trips. One of which was around Christmas and I haven't processed the photos yet.

1. My Wife on our walk up to Mueller Hut at Mt Cook in NZ

[​IMG]

2. A small icy window at the Snowy Mountains during a winter snowshoeing trip with my Brother and Dad

[​IMG]

3. I did do a lot of climbing this year, which doesn't lend itself to taking photos when there is only 2 of you. I did get this one while descending to the start of a multipitch on the Hazards Main Wall at Frecinet NP though. Taken with the trusty Canon S95. Massive shutter lag meant the timing with the rope mid air was a complete fluke here. haha

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Deftone2k and Vladdo like this.