Your Photo of the Year 2019

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by EvilGenius, Jan 1, 2020.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Stepping in for Deftone2k here, he must have a life or something.. pfft. :p

2019 has been a pretty quiet year for me in terms of photography, most of my shooting has been event based, otherwise I've been struggling to get out and shoot. Last year I was struggling over what I would post in this thread weeks in advance, I had so many vying for a spot. This year the struggle has been picking 3 that are good enough. I really hope I can get back into it next this!? year a little more.

As with last year, lets have your top 1-3 photos. Narrowing it down to just the one can be hard (for some :Paranoid: ) and please feel free to give us the story that goes with the image, it's always great to hear what went into making the image or more detail about the events shown.

Previous years best of's can be seen here:

Your Photo of the Year - 2018

Your Photo of the Year - 2017

Your Photo of the Year - 2016

Your Photo of the Year - 2015

Your Photo of the Year - 2014

Definitely go back through and check out what everyone has put up in years past. Can be amazing to see someones journey, or even just see some amazing shots you may have missed from years past.

I look forward to seeing what you all post up, and everything to come in 2020 :)

2. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

My three in no particular order:

[​IMG]

Afternoon/evening storm viewed from my partners place. Nothing better than sitting out for an evening watching a storm roll by, except maybe sitting by a fire.. not sure.

[​IMG]

Bushfires seem to be the theme for Australia this year. This was the view over Rocky as fires burned through. This shot earned its place for me as it's the first and only photo I've ever had 'go viral' on me. Never had to turn off notifications on an image I've posted before, quite an experience :)

[​IMG]

I was a little undecided with this last one, I've had some pretty nice aviation shots through the year and that remains an enjoyable part of my photography, but this image ended up on the front page of multiple papers as well as being picked up by sky tv etc. Felt like a pretty nice feather for my cap at the time :)

3. TwinII

TwinII Member

My 3 for 2019 in no particular order are:

[​IMG]Beach time! by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tree of Wonder by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Riverfire 2019 by Martin Canning, on Flickr

For anyone interested I have written a 2019 Photography Retrospective blog - there are quite a few images I have not shared here (or anywhere online) so check it out if you're interested. Link is https://www.martincanning.com/blog/2019/12/2019-photography-retrospective

Happy photographing in 2020!

Martin

Edit: I pasted the same image twice...

Nethiuz and EvilGenius like this.
  4. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I had a pretty good year behind the camera - I think my work took a step forward in quality. The first half of the year I didn’t really shoot that much, but in the end managed 71 shoots: 43 studio and 28 location. And continuing the trend from the previous year, a larger proportion of collabs were with children. Parents = paying client + reliable model = win

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  5. ncsa

ncsa Member

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Thanks for getting the post up. It's been a crazy end/start of the year for me with 4 weddings on I havent really had much time out.

2019 was fun, one of my funnest years in shooting weddings yet. I really enjoyed the volume I shot this year, but still need to make the time to process/look/develop/scan my personal work to share. I still havent properly looked at photos from trips almost 4 years ago now.

As for top 3? Hard to say or pick when you shoot a couple of hundred thousand photos over a year. Really loved going to the Amalfi Coast to shoot this year, a first for me there. I took some time out for some solo travel as well which was really needed. Really loved the full switch to Sony and how it compliments my approach and shooting style. Just sharing a few photos from a few of my favourite weddings of the year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

My theme for 2019 was "Just start shooting", so looking back at some of the shots I've taken I've definitely focused less on the technical aspects of photography, and more about capturing what I was personally feeling at that time. More record keeping I guess.
    Also, kids started Nippers this year, so 95% of my shots were from the beach :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

My year has seen me move more into wedding photography and doing less personal stuff. I should start doing more personal stuff...

But something different for me. One of my favourite bands came to town, The Lyrical. So took the opportunity to get some photos. I have never shot bands before.

[​IMG]

From my most recent wedding. I think because it isn't perfect, that's why I like it. It reminds me of a classic film shot.
    [​IMG]

And for something not B&W.
    [​IMG]

Nethiuz, EvilGenius and Pbx_Jnr like this.