Your photographic ambitions for 2012

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Psyentist, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Nafe

Nafe Member

Got two additional contracts for the year
    Went to Le Mans instead of F1
    Did some extra V8Supercar work
    Didn't manage any model portfolio work though

Bought a 70-200 2.8 IS II

2. lench

lench Member

definitely did this, need to step it up though

done. well.. sorta, still doing things at a massive loss (even more so with film)

tried, failed. (something about the winter months and me not having weekends free)

big no. kinda glad because the D-lite RX's look pretty sweet.. but im liking natural light more and more now anyway so im not sure if i want to splurge on a lighting setup

not much improvement on this, but at least i know which direction i wanna take :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Well, I kinda accomplished that with 7 shoots under my belt. It feels like a bit of a failure on my part as I didn't get started until September!

Setting the stage for 2013 obviously!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Check the weddings.

The others, well.. moved in a different direction :)

5. jars121

jars121 Member

I wish I had posted in this thread earlier, I feel left out :(

I can attest to Deft's post above, his wedding work is going from strength to strength :)

6. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

So lets see how I went:

- Failed
    - Failed
    - Failed
    - Reasonably happy with this one from the outings I've done, I've had my Nikon D800E since May and haven't done more than 1000 shots yet (high 900s currently)
    - Failed, didn't get up for a single sunrise at all :(

Other things that I did achieve though that weren't on my original list:

- Have some of my photos printed, framed and hanging on my walls (rather than giving them away as gifts)
    - Taking my personal safety a little bit more seriously when out photographing now (i.e. proper hiking boots, and a PLB), after breaking my arm

That said, I didn't get out and shoot stuff anywhere near as much as I would've liked. Only 28 photos uploaded to Flickr for the year, versus 70 from last year. Two major things I think impacted that, firstly being very unhappy in my previous job and consequently lacking motivation a lot (but that has been fixed by me changing jobs late in the year), and the whole breaking my arm incident put me out of action for a good 2 months, and even for a month or two after that I was a bit afraid of getting back out there and photographing anything much.

Looking forward to 2013, and hopefully having a much better year than this one was. :thumbup:

7. isaaus

isaaus Member

Booked few weddings for myself but ended up working mostly for others, just felt like less headaches :lol: Got 85mm f1.4G, 135mm f2 DC and 300mm f2.8VR, what more could I ask for? Did few shoots solely for myself and scouted few locations as well. Bonus, learn`t how to use off camera flash basics.

Next years plan-
    - Sell the lenses, I don`t use and buy other primes that I might use :D
    - Develop my shooting style, I feel I am all over the place right now :(
    - Learn to shoot video, more of developing skills to keep myself steady and then apply those to stills.
    - Learn proper portrait shoots, maybe do few workshops with pros :thumbup:
    - Finally get off my butt and test waters with time lapse.

Oh and yeah, find time to follow hein around, have missed the opportunity few times :upset:

8. Zee

Zee Member

#fail.

Having said that, shooting weddings as a second has helped me develop my photography, and being paid (a very small amount) means at least my hobby is kinda' subsidising itself.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 70-200 F2.8IS II today. Then realised I don't have anything shorter than an EF100F2.8 Macro (I also have an EF10-22 - but looking to get a 5DIII soon-ish), so probably going to get a Sigma 35 F1.4, and then figure out if I get the 135L, or the new Canon 50 1.4 when it's finally released...

And next year, I'll house the 50D...
    Z...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. birdie

birdie Member

- I got a couple of paid jobs, but not as many as I'd hoped though I didn't actively advertise at all... That's my resolution for next year now though...
    - yes I did do this: www.danielbird.com.au
    - I think I did this...

Next year, it will be:
    - get more paid photo jobs
    - improve my post processing style
    - take lots of photos of my new baby (due in May)
    - improve my gear skills to get a better keeper rate
    - improve my posing skills

10. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

1) Got up to #1 for a few terms and top 5 for all targeted keywords, but Google changed their algo and now in #10 for all target keywords.

2) Yep, Melbourne, Denmark and a pre wedding in Vegas.

3) Yep, shooting a wedding in the rain .. only had 2 rainy day weddings this year.

5) FAILED miserably, photography made me fat .. took up my exercise time.

11. Goldenjera

Goldenjera Member

Failed all of them, even my silly one. I occasionally went out to take photographs, but it was a rare event. All I achieved was buying some gear and not using it. However I did complete another degree, so that's something...

This year:
    - Use the gear I have bought
    - Sell off unused lens(es)
    - Get photo website going, or at least use renderosity
    - Take photographs
    - Get the last 1.5 years worth of film developed
    - Don't buy any more gear, with the exception of camera bag padding for using a normal backpack / handbag
    - Learn how to edit

12. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

Done, done and done.

13. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Did all of them except the B&W film development. I did buy a dev tank and a bunch of chemicals though, just need a changing bag and one other chem and I can get started :)

14. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

You've done very well for yourself. I feel as though I should be your friend more now so when you get famous I can be all like "Yeah, Tim and I are pretty much bros" then all the chicks will be like "Oh My God you must be so cool"

15. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

1. Nope, sold it
    2. Nope, CBF
    3. Nope, sadly..

16. aokman

aokman Member

Hoping to make some new connections overseas this year with storm chasing etc and have the best experiences of my life :D

Also planning the move to FF before I leave I think... considering jumping to the Nikon boat.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013