Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Cannula

Cannula Member

I have a couple and they are great cards especially for DOS.
    As for Windows they are behind the performance and features of Vortex 2s and Live cards but of that era.

2. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

3. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Not really super old but found these at work the other day :)

Powerbook 145B in working condition!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a beefy 9mb HP SCSI drive

[​IMG]

4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Well the last couple of days I've been trying to add a voltage regulator to my 486SV2 boardso I can enable writeback cache mode... a technique pioneered by mAJORD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjjvk2jtebps2xj/rev 1_7 jumpers 5x86.doc?dl=0 :)

Unfortunately after soldering everything in, I'm getting 4.1V between the middle pin of the regulator and ground...

R35 is 121ohm and R34 is 210ohm... I did use an LM1805 instead of a Lt1805 but I thought they were similar enough?

Nevermind - after double checking all jumpers it has come good :)

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  5. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Athlon 64 3200+ finally arrived, so I can start benchmarking it. I already had one, but it turns out there are different steppings which affects the memory controller and performance.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

https://retrocomputing.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10&p=487#p487

Links above in the last post Phil. For all them great video's you've done :thumbup:
    Sending you a cool care package Via US. * pending it arrives, fit new caps, get a processor for it, then finally it works :Paranoid: :lol:

edit Oh flaming Joe won you a slot A combo too. The one you wanted..........

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  7. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

:eek: You really don't have to

Thank you. I will find a video project for it!

8. badmofo

badmofo Member

I’ve added these two classic rivals to my collection recently – the timing is just a coincidence despite their shared history. I took a bit of a gamble on the PS1 because it was complete-in-box and looked to be in excellent condition, but the seller reported that the output was somewhat garbled. I was hoping it was just a case of an incompatibility with the modern TV he was testing on, but on receiving it I got the same result on my trusty Sony CRT. A general clean-up and tightening of the internal screws helped but the problem reoccurs once the system cools down, so I’m thinking there’s a cracked trace or cold solder joint somewhere. Fortunately loose examples of this model are still common so I have a motherboard donor on the way.

I wasn’t in the market for an N64, but my dear old Mum works at an op-shop and gave me a call when this appeared in the donation drop-off. They can’t sell electrical equipment in the store, so were happy to accept a fiddy to save them the trouble of listing it on eBay. The box is in pretty good condition and the hardware itself appears to be almost unused – it works perfectly. I was also pleasantly surprised with the number of games I found rattling around in the box – with manuals included. An instant collection!

I was a PS1 owner back in the day – I can’t remember anyone owning an N64 – so perhaps it’s familiarity, but having played them both side-by-side I think that the PS1 is the nicer system. It feels more modern despite being released nearly 2 years before the N64. The controller is more solid and is easier to use. Textures on the N64 look muddy compared to the PS1, which of course has storage space to burn compared to the cartridge based Nintendo, and load times on the PS1 aren’t long enough to justify that limitation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Wow quite a score on the Nintendo 64, I wish things like that would appear locally for me :p

10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Nice buy on the Nintendo 64. Zelda alone is worth that.

Playing through Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 might change your comments on PS1 vs N64. :)

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

hot damn $50 for that!

wish I knew someone that worked in an OP shop, lol.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

what a lucky streak :shock:

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Challenge accepted :D

One game I played a lot back in the day on the PS1 was Shane Warne's Cricket. It's actually a very accurate cricket simulator, right down to the game-play pacing - perfect for a uni student with endless hours to kill, but simply not practical anymore :o

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Slower ball. :p

15. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

Some general info before you get into the N64 if you didn't know. (from experience)
    Before you start playing zelda or the snow boarding game, open them up and replace the cr2032 battery in them. These two games use SRAM to store game saves. You can buy easy to solder replacements from ebay or you can solder straight to a new battery but it can be tricky.

Get a consolegoods.co.uk N64 Pal S-video cable and use that instead of that horrible composite video. Its the cheapest and easiest way to get a better quality video output from your N64.

Those controllers look like they are in good nick, you should open them up and clean and grease the control stick to extend its life. There are youtube videos on how to do this, its quite easy. I used lithium grease on mine but there is plenty of discussion on the internet about what grease you should use.

Have fun! :thumbup:

16. badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks for the tips! Complete N64 noob here.

I noticed that Zelda still had some saves listed, but I'll defs put a battery change on my to-do list regardless. Even those cr2032's leak eventually.

My console telly doesn't have S-video but I'm happy enough with composite - I use a 14" flatscreen Sony trinitron so I get a decent image with everything from a C64 up.

And yes I wondered about the sticks on the controllers, they seem like delicate little things. Will certainly lube them as a priority.

Thanks again.

17. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Speaking of batteries, has anyone seen them actually leak in Nintendo cartridges? I have a collection that I am now worried about. :upset:

Especially earlier Gameboy games.

Excellent!

Coming from a SNES, Mario 64 was seriously epic on release - I remember buying a console and the game and being blown away by the first few levels.

Hopefully it lives up to my rose-tinted glasses...

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Not just tricky - CR2032 can explode apart if heat is applied for too long - I was lucky only to get a fright :shock:

19. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

best to buy the cart batteries that already have the pins crimped onto them.

that way you don't need to apply heat onto the battery itself, you just deal with the two pins.

plus those batteries are rather hard to get solder to stick onto anyway.

out of those 3 suggestions, I honestly only do suggestion #3 - grease/fix the controller thumbs.

I've been pretty lucky most of my carts with batteries are fine with the original installed, only a few GB games had to have their batts replaced.

20. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I've never seen them leak. They will definitely go flat though.
    I've had most of my carts since new.
    I replaced them about 3 years ago with these : http://au.element14.com/panasonic-e...25-hfn/battery-lithium-cr2025-horz/dp/1892668

Definitely get the ones with the legs, much easier to deal with!