Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Good :thumbup: Glad there are people like you out there putting in the effort to save these nice parts. :D You crazy collector you.

2. shirl

shirl Member

lol Shane i have no idea what i have here any more its getting out of control i really need to do a inventory of what i have im putting in a new work bench
    2m longx 1m width plenty of room to test parts and start building retro box,s cant wait as my pc room is full and i cant move in it no more :lol:

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Oh crap you sure you not Canulla :lol:

Build them machines dude.........bunch of parts is just parts without a home :confused:

4. Cannula

Cannula Member

I've got a few parts recently;
    Boxed Spectra 400,
    P2B-B with RAM slocket and CPU,
    3dfx Hammerhead controller with documentation,
    FX5200 PCI,
    Scythe s478 copper based HSF,
    GeForce 2 MX PCI,
    256MB 9600XT,
    Corsair VS 350,
    Diamond Fire GL,
    5.25" floppy drive,
    Soltec s478 motherboard,
    Buffalo USB controller,
    486 desktop PC,
    Pentium D 845,
    TUSL,
    TUSL-C,
    Boxed PIIOD (previously opened),
    Boxed Yamaha MU80,
    Via C3 1200MHz,
    Both Starcraft expansions before Brood Wars,
    LuckyStar LS-486E.
    There might be some other things but that's most of it.

5. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Nice haul Cannula!

6. Cannula

Cannula Member

The thing I like the most is the previously opened PIIOD.
    I have five NIB, one OEM with original clamshell case and three with HSF. Not being able to see the documentation, floppy disk etc of the boxed ones has been eating away at me. "I have five opening one can't hurt". Lol!

7. shane41

shane41 Member

Far out Cannula :shock: You could open a retro shop

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Thread needs some pretties :p haha > I did buy more crap < :Pirate:

[​IMG]

9. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Nice stuff Shane!

Some of these are not cheap and easy to find :)

10. shane41

shane41 Member

Thanks matey. Some of it I wish I could reveal. But it's something maybe for later :Pirate:

The real cost now, it's just too much. I'm sure you see some parts there hellish expensive & they're hard fought auctions.

Low latency Mushkin cost a packet. Still good rare. But the lost cost part in there you'd not guess in a million years. Point of view 6800gt :thumbup: that artwork just beautiful

11. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Sure it's not an Ultra? GT usually just has a single molex, whereas Ultra has two. Unless they added two molex on their GT.

I'm eager to find out how the 7800GS compared to the 6800GT and Ultra. The BFG OC should hopefully bit a bit faster, I want to stick with the 7800 GS, redo all the benchmarks and continue in my Intel vs AMD video series :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Ask and you shall receive.....:lol:

My Atari PC2 arrived yesterday in pretty quick time I might add all the way from Germany. Economy shipping via German post which I wasn't expecting until next week at the earliest. My PC4 also just left Germany so hopefully not too long for that one either.

On to the Atari PC2, marketed as a business PC with expandability options which the Atari PC1 lacked due to it's small case size (it reused the Atari Mega ST case). Essentially it just means it has multiple free ISA slots which the PC1 lacked. Was also the first Atari PC in the series to have a HDD option, a whopping 20MB of space! As I originally suspected it is missing in this PC2 confirmed by the existence of an Adaptec RLL controller card + cables sitting inside (not pictured).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The CPU (Intel 8088-2) sitting pretty next to an empty 8087 coprocessor socket. RAM is now fully populated to 640K from it's original 512K. Had the thing for less than an hour and just couldn't help myself! :D In case your wondering, yes I fired it up afterwards to test and it's all good. Just didn't take any pics.

[​IMG]

The ISA riser card and an interesting mounting of a couple of the chips on the motherboard. Not exactly sure what is going on there and why they aren't directly soldered to the board. This is an early revision 1.1 PC2 motherboard, only other example of a PC2 motherboard I've been able to find is a revision 2.1 here which has them soldered to the board.

[​IMG]

I haven't seen one of these before, but it appears to be a non standard 9 pin power connector which could make things interesting if the power supply dies. The later PC3, PC4, PC5 all had a standard XT/AT power connector. The other two connectors are the two pin speaker wire and the 4 pin is for the power / CPU leds.

[​IMG]

Back of what is quite a large power supply. Seo Shin PS-135 PSU, haven't been able to find any info on it. Power switch to turn on the PC is as you can see built into the PSU.

[​IMG]

The "G" after the PC2 under the Atari logo in case you haven't guessed it refers to Germany being the market it was sold in. As far as I'm aware the PC2 only really sold in Europe with Germany being by far the biggest market.

That's all for now. The plan is to hopefully sometime this weekend give the board and the rest of the system a nice clean then eventually I'm going to have to work out what I'm going to do in regards to the empty drive bay. I'd like to restore it back to it's original configuration and get hold of a 20MB RLL drive which I'm assuming was a Seagate ST-225 considering they used Seagate RLL's in later Atari PC's. Problem is they aren't cheap and reliability could be an issue even though I still have an ST-238R still alive and kicking in my PC3 so I know they last. Other option is to make it a two floppy system of which I have spares or to just simply cover the hole with a face plate.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

Very pleased for you Julian. :) Your a good bloke & deserve this good luck /karma finding your loved parts :thumbup:

14. jmannik

jmannik Member

I picked up a couple of consoles last week.
    A Sega Dreamcast and a Super Nintendo.
    All I need now is a Sega Saturn and my collection of consoles is complete.

Still on the hunt for an Atari ST and a Commodore 64

15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Any software with the Dreamcast? It's probably the one console I'd like to add to my collection.

16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

once you get a saturn you'll be saying "just need a powerglove or a virtual boy and my collection will be complete" :lol:

dreamcast > saturn for sure.

Anyway, I have too many of both. :sick:

17. shane41

shane41 Member

Time to share the love Quert :confused: Let someone unwrap that plastic

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yeah I know, i have to pay my rent somehow :upset:

19. Grant

Grant Member

I have a Saturn and a couple of light guns, Virtua Cop 1/2 all the way :tongue:

I'm in the reverse situation, I've had the Saturn for a while but the DC is currently in the mail, so I'll see what I think after a while. I think Sega Rally and the related racing games on the DC were better.

I just completed my Mega Drive stack with a 32X and Mega-CD 1, I don't need action replays/Sonic & Knuckles carts to raise it any further though, I'm happy with that for the time being.

20. jmannik

jmannik Member

Unfortunately not, however it does play burnt discs without needing a mod chip so most games work.