Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

2. 0xC0FFEEADD1C7

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 Member

I just won this auction. I suppose the term "won" is kind of subjective.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I've been watching it be re-listed for several weeks. There are Windows 2000 betas and Windows 98 Betas in there. And honestly, who couldn't do with 10 copies of windows 3.11 on 3.5" floppies? That was a joke. About needing 10 copies of windows 3.11, because I already have 3 copies. But the betas will be interesting, I know they're already floating around on the net, but I will have legit copies. And at any rate, floppies are starting to get a bit dear. So I can recycle some.

3. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Saw a couple of SGI O2 workstations in the ewaste skip where I work about this time last year. I thought about saving one of both, but wouldn't know what to do with them.

We have a PowerBook 180 here in the office. I just tried to power it up, but it appears to be dead.

4. bYrd

bYrd Member

... I'd love that PB180, if you feel like postin' :) Pull the battery and leave it on the charger for a while (although the charger can also have bad caps) ...

I too was given a pile of O2s (and Indigos) a couple of years ago - with a mixture of RAM and CPUs speeds. They were fun, but a PITA to get the OS installed onto and the plastics were amazingly brittle.

5. Krumm

Krumm Member

Nice lot of disks would be a shame to overwrite them though.

6. breech

breech Member

That's a win. Microsoft floppies were very high quality, I had a bunch of dusty/dirty 3.5's that went through hell back, from PC 1.4mb -> 1.8mb (hack) -> to Amiga 720k and back again with no problems. Outlasted most of the others.

[EDIT] Wow I can see a legit CopyIIpc disk!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  7. 0xC0FFEEADD1C7

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 Member

I think MS probably used higher quality disks because they formatted them in DMF format to fit more data on them. But I completely pulled that out of my arse. Just a guess.

I probably wouldn't overwrite any of the MS ones, aside from any mismatches. But there looks to be a lot of old useless driver disks that I won't feel bad about wiping.

There's a legit copy of DR-DOS in there too, which is interesting. And the set of windows 3.0 5.25 disks.

I'm more keen to get my hands on those Beta CDs. I can see they have NT 5 Workstation and NT 5 server betas, and one has a 98 beta. But the rest I can't make out the text on. One either says Windows 95 beta or Windows 98 beta. And a few have their labels completely obscured. Might be some interesting stuff to play with.

8. Spearchucka

Spearchucka Member

But there looks to be a lot of old useless driver disks that I won't feel bad about wiping.
    Please make images of these disks. You may have the last copy (Dr. Who comes to mind).

9. 0xC0FFEEADD1C7

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 Member

That's what I planned to do.

I'll image anything interesting (aside from Microsoft software) and chuck them up on my web server.

10. StormShadowvfr

StormShadowvfr Member

[​IMG]i brought a megadrive remake, only because i wanted a NES remake, but couldnt get one.

its pretty cool the ir controllers, have to be facing the consol though, ive hooked it up to an 8 inch lcd screen and play it in bed.

getting pretty good at golden axe again.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. Krumm

Krumm Member

What's the sound quality like? That tends to be where I hear the most complaints from these.

12. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I have heard the same with most mega drive clones. Plus some wont support certain games. Reminds me I need to get cables for my MD1.

13. StormShadowvfr

StormShadowvfr Member

seems alright, its got 80 built in games, its got the slot for the game carterage, i look up the downloadable game cart, but this thing doesn't work with it apparently. so unless you have original mega drive games, the 80 built in, is what you got.

i dont like that the controllers have to be facing the unit to work.

14. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

"new"(?) build PCI vid cards.

Anyone seen - or bought these? nVidia FX5500 256mb PCI video cards...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162149084651

I was digging through the usual S3 Virge's and so on Ebay and came across this. It certainly wouldn't be era-accurate, but considering how rare working decent PCI video cards are, it seems like a reasonable option. I'm going to order one on Monday... $32 seems reasonable to give one a try...

15. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I've got one of those. Only tried it in DOS, but might get a chance to try it out soon enough...

16. 0xC0FFEEADD1C7

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 Member

My latest acquisition was half of Jaycar.

My NeXTStation arrived yesterday. Yay. Spent ages looking around for a monitor that supports SoG and ended up finding one in the server room at work, so I made a deal with the other IT guy that I'd bring in a monitor to replace it and take that one. Got it all hooked up. "No signal cable." Tried another monitor that I know doesn't support SoG. "No signal cable." For shits and giggles, took the 27 inch monitor from my desktop PC (which according to info I found online does not support SoG) and brought it out to my play room, lo and behold, it works :/ It sure looks weird as hell with a 27 inch monitor sitting on top of a 25 year old computer, and it's a waste as well, having a small 1024.768 box in the middle of a 1080 res monitor.

I've found if I short pins 5 and 10 it will stop the other monitors from doing the "no signal cable" nonsense. Which has brought into question whether my Mac II (which needs a recapping and some other work) actually does work now; I'd tested it on every monitor in the house and they all kept whinging about no signal. So I've been to Jaycar today to get some veroboard and some connectors and bits and pieces to make an adapter to test. That's when I bought half the shop. If it works, I'll modify the monitor and add switches to it so I can configure ID pins and whatnot.

17. Sciby

Get crackin', want to see if it's worth my $32! ;)

18. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

It absolutely is. So if you're hesitating, don't!

19. Sciby

Nah, I'm just yanking your chain because I want to see more videos on youtube.

20. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member