1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Looks like the four VRM input capacitors, adjacent to the 4-way 12V ATX connection, are bulging at the top - not unusual for Soltek

2. shane41

shane41 Member

Still good matey. 939 & all that purple :weirdo: LoL so used to seeing the 462's missed it was another socket.

Miss my Camera damnitz :upset: One of mine BNIB eagerly awaiting......

[​IMG]

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It is not unusual for most 8800 ultras (even 8800gtx's) to turn up on ebay faulty or artefacting, the cards ran too hot.

4. shane41

shane41 Member

Do you know a better way to cool them Mathew? Even ghetto mod on the cheap or WC

5. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yep the 8800gt, 9600gt and the 9800gt all suffered similar problems with dying out of the blue or artefacting due to the single slot design even though they are cut down G82/92 core architecture GPU's derived from the original G82 8800 series. Alot of people I know that use to do F@H back then with the 8800gt etc all met a quick death sooner or later.

The cheapest way to cool the 8800gtx/ultras is bump up the fan to 100% from the auto setting in Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector (or a preferred tool of your choice).

When I ran 3 8800gtx/ultras/9800gtx+ I had them on a custom loop back then. Even then the temps were just ok but I had 2 rads, 2 pumps and from memory 6 loops also to a 4.5ghz QX6800 on various 3 way capable Asus and EVGA 775 mobos with 8gb of Micron D9 Corsair ram.

Fuck, those were the heydays of fun PC overclocking wars when games (aka Crysis) was ahead of its time and PC hardware. Nowadays overclocking is made so simple even a tech savvy 10 year old can do it and GPU/CPU processing power way ahead of games and benchmarks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  7. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

yeah back then when a new game came out you needed to wait for the next generation of gfx cards before it ran properly haha

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Hehe there you go. That paragraph I needed :D Knew you had a hard on for 775 high end.

Message me mathew ...... sure to have some good shit arrive soon & happy to move the spares on. Relive them days & crank it in Atmo wars :)

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

So true! By that stage I think I had pretty much lost interest in overclocking. I think the last "hardcore" overclocking I did was when I had my Dual Xeon workstation gaming PC. I picked up a couple of 2.4 GHz 400 FSB Xeon's and pin modded them to clock at 533 FSB giving me 3.2 GHz on each CPU. I remember shitting myself when removing the pin on each CPU, double/triple/quad lol checking to match sure I had the right pin! Awesome feeling to see them both clocked at 3.2 GHz. :D Edit: Still have those suckers in my draw, just could never bring myself to sell them.

These days the market is saturated with overclocking motherboards, even Intel who were always hard asses about overclocking happy embrace it with their unlocked CPU's. And I find the pre-overclocked systems they sell these days where most of the hard work has been done for you a little sad. I've worked on these PC's and met the owners, they aren't nerds or geeks or any have any real interest in the hardware, to them it's just a "cool overclocked gaming rig" with pretty led's to light up whatever the hell is in there. :(

Rant over lol. *Sigh* I guess I just miss the days when computing wasn't so mainstream and was very much a geeky thing to do.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  10. shane41

shane41 Member

Keep pushing pc's < all of them > Atari Joe :thumbup:
    OR future you find all kids clocking phones tablets ipads & that may become the cool thing :rolleyes:

11. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

12. shane41

shane41 Member

Bought a bunch of 775 boards, some good tested & others as parts.
    Haha learnt my lesson :sick:

Just so many shanksters " it used to work OR sold as parts, cannot test "
    gpu's sold used & do not output a picture.

No bloody cheap parts either ........ x1 big fat load of dollars.

End of that Rant/ ah no not really still shitty.........

Think I'll have to unload some nice European parts in here & some freebies.
    Frikken too much spending & the DHL nails it big time.
    Ebay can bite my as with the 10% bite on shipping.

Need $ guys I have a big ass bill inbound :Paranoid::upset:

13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

And so it begins..................

For a few years now I've been collecting extra Ultima cloth maps with the intention of one day framing them and putting them on display. I've been wanting to do it for quite a while now and FINALLY I purchased the first of what will be many frames.

First one up, Ultima 6: The False Prophet. :)

A bit of a toss up between Ultima 6 and 7 (my all time favourite Ultima), but eventually settled with Ultima 6 as I think for me it's quite fitting. While my first experience with the Ultima series was Ultima 4 on my friends Amiga 500, Ultima 6 was the first I got to play for myself on my own computer, none other than my beloved Atari PC3 8088. Thankfully by that time I had installed a Sound Blaster 2.0 in which to enjoy the classic Ultima tunes.

[​IMG]

14. badmofo

badmofo Member

That looks fantastic, well done mate. I've been playing a bit of Ultima VII lately on my 486; amazing game.

Nice OPL2 tune there for #6 - the amount of joy my SB 2.0 brought me back in the day cannot be measured by modern science!

15. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

I changed my 8800GT cooler with a Thermaltake Duorb almost as soon as I got the card and it's still running fine. Bought a second one to SLI them off ebay and it worked fine...until you tried to run and 3D program and it would black screen immediately until restart.

Even with the Duorb (which is a 2 slot all copper cooler BTW) the GT still ran really hot I couldn't imagine what the more powerful AND less efficient, older tech, GTX/Ultra would be like.

16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Thanks! Black Gate or Serpent Isle? Both fantastic games in my book, love them both dearly. Black Gate particularly is a masterpiece from the box art with it's simple dark black design which I think sums up the feeling of the game, to the fantastic story line and game play. One of the best RPG's I've ever played. :thumbup:

Yeah my SB 2.0 made a huge difference especially with Ultima 6. That version of "Stones" is forever etched in my memory....

17. badmofo

badmofo Member

Black Gate and to be honest I never get very far with it, I just don't have the required time or mental capacity for old school RPG's these days. Every couple of years I break it out and generally get to Britain before losing the thread :weirdo:

It has speed issues of course and is fussy with regards to memory but that world they created is stunning, and the interactions you have with it and the NPC's is borderline magical at times.

I built a machine for the purpose a few years ago, details here if you're interested:

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=32619

18. shane41

shane41 Member

Thermaltake Duorb............looked at those on ebay. They are pretty to look at, so checked out reviews. Not good I think as the base is like 38mm iirc.
    The Ultra here came with one, killed. Just the cooling is not powerfull enough for that beast.

But your right, those 8800's ran hot......stick them in a pc case & no wonder they all died. I've bought plenty of good models for collection sake.
    The Evga 8800gts SSC 512mb is the standout though......that air cooler has been beefed up to match the stock mad clocks :weirdo:

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

A true retro goody, bought this today - now to make my Amiga work so I have something to plug it into.....

For those interested in specs, this puppy sports a Quantum 52MB SCSI HDD and 2MB of RAM in 2 modules! Such kit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member