1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Krumm

Krumm Member

Very nice, is one of the few bits of hardware I would love to have and play around with.

2. 0xC0FFEEADD1C7

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 Member

Seems like my collection has expanded quite a bit in the past few months.

Just took delivery of two B&W G3s and a Wallstreet powerbook yesterday. One with a Sonnet G4 upgrade card and a stealthport installed, the other one just standard factory config. By "took delivery", I mean I picked it up from my neighbour 2 doors down, because TNT dumped it on his verandah without taking a signature, instead of bringing it to my house... Anyways...

Scored a nice cinema display in another auction for 10 dollary doos, and shipping didn't cost a fortune. Around 50 all up. Which is very nice. It's the first one I found that the seller was willing to ship.

Won a G4 iBook in near perfect nick for 20. It was in very nice looking condition from the ebay pictures; aside from it being obvious that the owner had tried disassembling it and prying the case open with a screwdriver, it looked brand new. Auction stated that the keyboard didn't work properly. It was easy enough to repair. The only issue was that they didn't reconnect the flat ribbon properly. Why do people who have no idea what they're doing feel the need to butcher these things before listing them in order to extract a few DIMMS worth maybe 5 dollars at the most? ARF... Never mind. Looking brand new now and running great.

I also got (and paid probably way too much for, but I had to have it when I saw it) an interesting looking old Sharp computer about a month back. MZ 700. Has a built in tape drive and thermal printer. I've no idea if it works yet. It was I've been so busy at work that I haven't had time to even look at it. It's pretty dirty so I don't trust it to be plugged in until I give it a full go-over.

3. 0xC0FFEEADD1C7

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 Member

Oh wow, that is so nice.

I've never seen an Apple II in such beautiful condition. It looks like it just came out of the factory.

4. shane41

shane41 Member

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 You have the affliction man. Hoarderism :lol:

But seriously it's a buzz when you find a nice part & get it working again.
    It's that high you see, instant reward all the time.

Anyways........was it you that wanted that Sun monitor? I'm preparing parcels for the weekend

5. 0xC0FFEEADD1C7

0xC0FFEEADD1C7 Member

Lol. I've been collecting stuff since I was about 13 or 14 when I first got given an Apple II.

The only problem is, figuring out WHAT to collect, and what not to. I've had this big pile of boxed up computers waiting to be cleaned up and listed on ebay to clear some space. I'm doing a bit of a tidy up today, and the majority of the stuff I have has no "home" because I've got nowhere to store it all...

I have one room in my house (which was formerly the loungeroom) that I've painted, got desks to fit, etc. Set up some of my collection. But the adjoining dining room needs doing too, shelving installed, desks, etc. I can't do that room because it's where all of the rest of the stuff is piled up, and I've nowhere else to put it while I do the work lol...

It was me that was after the sun monitor. I still am definitely interested. I think I sent a PM a while back when you mentioned it, I'm not sure if it sent or not.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

OK to fix the Captain Cannula Conundrum :tongue: Stack high young man.
    See what I did there, ^ I've made a new syndrome.

Gives me the shits double shifting it all. But save what we can, as there's a crap load lost to the dirt now. The history thing will be important later......

7. dc99

dc99 Member

This one required quite a bit of work to restore.. it came out of a shed and was completely covered in grime both inside and out. Luckily the old models with the painted finish clean up quite well...

8. bester

bester Member

I have acquired or put together the following in the last few months:

The first system is:

Corsair Carbide 100R Case
    Corsair CX 430v3 PSU
    Intel D815EEA2U Motherboard
    Intel Pentium III 1.4GHz Tualatin
    Samsung 512MB PC133 Memory
    3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP (with replacement Noctua 40mm fans)
    Intel PRO/1000 PCI NIC
    Promise SATA150 TX4 PCI Controller
    Diamond Monster MX300 PCI Sound Card (Aureal 2)
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10K HDD
    LITE-ON iHDP118-04 DVD ROM
    Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    Microsoft Windows 98 SE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second system is:

Lian Li PC-8N Case
    Corsair CX 430v3 PSU (with ATX to AT with -5V adapter)
    Elitegroup UM8810PAIO Rev 2.1 Motherboard (256K Cache)
    Intel DX4 100MHz Overdrive CPU
    Legend 64MB EDO Memory
    Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro 4MB PCI (S3 ViRGE DX)
    Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI Controller
    Sound Blaster Pro 2 ISA Sound Card (CT1600)
    Gravis Ultrasound Classic 1MB Rev 3.74 ISA Sound Card
    Maxtor Atlas 10K IV U320 SCSI HDD
    LITE-ON iHDP118-04 DVD ROM
    Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    DOS 6.22

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above are basically my "ultimate" retro systems and some alternative sound card options are listed at the bottom for the 486. I also have a Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB midi adapter so I can emulate the original MT-32 and CM-32L etc. I am running with the SB PRO 2 and GUS Classic as this is the exact setup I had back in the day and I primarily use the system for old demoscene stuff in addition to gaming. I also have a PCI NIC for this system but don't use it so have left it out.

Below is three sealed NOS Gravis gamepads/joystick:

[​IMG]

Below is a Music Quest PC-MIDI IH9MQ9 ISA Card (100% Roland MPU-401 compatible) and Roland Sound Canvas 55 mkII:

[​IMG]

Below is a Gravis Ultrasound PNP Rev 1.0 ISA Sound Card (currently it has 2.5MB of memory but I have ordered the RAM to take it to 8MB):

[​IMG]

...and finally is a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ISA Sound Card:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. atmo

atmo Member

Tidy builds with some extremely nice hardware there. :thumbup:

10. shane41

shane41 Member

Nice work bester :) Like the extra cable ties thrown in.

11. badmofo

badmofo Member

Bloody hell those are some impressively put together systems - great pics too but I'm left wondering what you're going to do with that hot hardware?

12. shane41

shane41 Member

Yes nice. Lined up the AT style motherboard in a modern case.
    It's the new beige & about time :)

13. bester

bester Member

As mentioned previously the 486 system is mainly for demoscene stuff and gaming (I completed Doom SE just recently which sounded awesome with the Roland soundtrack on the SC-55 mkII for music). The Pentium 3 system is so I can play Glide era games natively (3dfx will always have a special place in my heart lol because it was so awesome back in the day).

Primarily though I just wanted the best 486 and Pentium 3 systems I could build for nostalgia (it's been a fun journey reliving all of this again). Obviously there is a lot of influence from PhilsComputerLab and the Vogons forums too.

Not as exciting but I also got for the systems mentioned previously a NOS Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 (last revision) which was boxed but I opened it and a sealed NOS Microsoft Mouse 2.0:

[​IMG]

14. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

I just bought an Athlon 1.4GHz Thunderbird. Apparently these chips pull a lot of amps. My Seasonic S12ii 520W (brand new ATX12V 2.x unit) can do 24A on the 3.3V and 5V rails, and 130W combined. The Thunderbird will be combined with a hard drive, optical drive, floppy drive, GeForce2 GTS, and a Creative PCI sound card. Will the unit handle all this ok?

15. shane41

shane41 Member

It's the board that counts. Additional 4 pin 12V then your fine.
    Older type boards 20pin power only. Then the 5V gets hammered if you OC

16. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

Yeah 20-pin ATX only. Do you think the Seasonic will handle it or should I drop it below 1GHz?

17. shane41

shane41 Member

I've always been an overkill type of guy. So for me I'd go 40A 5V psu.
    But if you are not loading it up overclocking it should be fine.

If you remember back then they were doing eg. 2.5Ghz+ .......from 1.8Ghz stock. That's what pulls the excess current.

18. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

[​IMG]

Cinemaware Retro

2 copies of the ZX Spectrum Edition and 1 CDROM version

Ordered Sept 2016. Finally got is last week. Lucky i am a patient man!

19. digamma

digamma Member

I was running one of the durons on an aopen 250w psu back in the day. 520w will be massive overkill. You will be fine.

20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

As requested, here's a few snaps.

There's before:

My loungeroom:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my bedroom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after: ( I swear I didn't add the glistening in the first 2 shots, it's just the flash of my Samsung galaxy S3)

[​IMG]
    Please note: That short ass pile of the grey drawers to the right is just shy of 6 foot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It all is considered retro according to the 10 year rule.

The highlights for me were:
    Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro gamepad (1998)
    Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback Wheel (2002)
    the 4 AM2 systems I got.. (When I was making my own computers I jumped from a socket A Athlon XP 2400+ (overclocked to the shithouse) to a Phenom 2 720BE (which I also overclocked to within an inch of it's life, so I missed all of AM2 when it was new)

But in the drawers is everything.. rougly 14 Power supplies from 200W to 450W. rougly 50 Hard drives from 250MB to 1TB. rougly 25 CD ROMS from 4X to DVD burners at 52X. and about 20 Motherboard/cpu combos from pre Pentium to Athlon 64x2 4850e's

Heaps more KB's/ mice.. A bunch more MS ones, and a bunch more logitech ones.. (to add to my own pile) a few HP and compaq OEM ones in there...

A pair of old Harman Kardon stereo speakers which still kick the crap out of all but the BEST modern 2.1 systems...

And don't get me started on the cables. FUCKING HELL, the cables...
    I've sorted through about half.. Still only 5 full size drawers to sort.

And when I say sort I mean I sorted A/V (composite, component, scart, RCA, 3.5 mm) and PC video (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, video card breakouts) and power, either cable or brick.... Still have to further sort into each category..

And maybe my favorite.. A whole bunch of walkmans and discmans. and no, I don't mean generic (well there are a few generic) I mean GENUINE, SONY ACTUAL walkmans and ACTUAL Discmans!!!

Basically, everything in the pictures would have been taken to the tip...

Just sad I couldn't save all the beige boxes that went before I got there.:upset:

But to cheer me up I did these 2 just for fun.. Not really retro at all, but eh:

[​IMG]

I guess Lupin III is Kind of retro.. By kind of, I mean Lupin III is ALMOST 50 years old.. (August this year)

and I took a photo:
    [​IMG]

TAKE THAT SOCIETY!!!
    As Tom Petty Put it in 'into the great wide open' I'm "A rebel without a clue"

God Damn I'm old...:lol:

But I do have a plan.. I am putting my 4790K system in the cheapest case in the lot, and putting a Pentium 2 and an AMD K6 in a Corsair 450D and 650D respectively.. Just because...:lol: