Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Well no. Don't think a Fury Maxx will work in my 775 AGP killer machine either :leet: Powered with a Ati 3850 & a QX6700...........

2. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

I remember a mate buying one new for around $1K

3. callan

callan Member

Not so much an aquisition, but more a exhumation.
    I retrieved this machine from storage today. Named Endora this was my wife's first computer. It was through this machine that she discovered Bulletin boards, found new friends, inspired her finally to run a bulletin board and, indirectly how my wife and I first met.

It hasn't been powered up in over 30 years. Fortunately it has the direct video mod already. I suspect I'd best do some pre-flight checks before powering it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Callan

4. callan

callan Member

These two guys (and a replacement new power switch for an 1802 monitor) arrived today from Britain.
    The build quality seems exceptional.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(The sd2IEC is not that yellowed in the flesh: my phone just sucks at colour balance.)

Callan

5. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Nice Callan, thanks for the pics. Your poor old camera's colour balance is probably not helped by the green background and bright blue cartridge :)

Speaking of the green background, why use a craft mat instead of some static dissipative mat. Given what you get up to the latter seems like a good idea.

I have an SD2IEC with a display on top. I like it. The 1541 ultimate though still is just that. :leet:

6. callan

callan Member

Too expensive. I just spray it with vinyl record antistatic spray every now and again.

Callan

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

I bought a couple of carpet protectors for my home office recently and the static I've been generating when rolling back-and-forth b/w my PC's is a real worry - I had my C64 open the other day and felt a zap as I was fiddling around with a chip on the motherboard.

Maybe I shouldn't have cheaped out and bought them from bunnings but those things can cost hundreds for medium pile carpet.

I'll have to see if there's anything I can do - maybe I can run a strap b/w them and a table leg... :confused:

8. Krumm

Krumm Member

Perhaps one of those anti static mats you can ground with the strap to a metal table leg, had one of the standard wrist ones i got years ago but never used it as it seemed cumbersome.

9. Dutch Woman

Dutch Woman Member

10. mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

Picked up a JAP N64 controller in MINT condition and a NEW old stock JAP rumble pak :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nintendo...ontroller-Controller-Pak-Set-N64/332364884083

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nintendo-64-Rumble-Pak-JAP-Brand-New/192290807242

Not interested in the JAP Mario Kart 64 cart or mem controller pak, so that will be going up in the for sale area soon, along with two old N64 controllers i no longer need.

Also found out my parents kept all my old consoles.

So i have a near mint N64 console and another controller now and a Silver Fat PS2 in VGC :thumbup:

11. callan

callan Member

Someone in a Facebook group alerted me to this one on Gumtree, picked it up for $150. For those unfamiliar with Commodore kit, this is an IEEE488 single drive with a 1MB capacity, which it achieved with ordinary DSDD disks. Consider it a sawnoff 8250LP, the drive I'm repairing in another thread. (the mechanism1 is the same)
    I brought an IEEE488 interface with me and tested it before purchase. It needs a bit of work, but delighted to finally have one of these babys:thumbup:

[​IMG]

Callan

12. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

I am more excited to see that Novell Floppy Sleeve :D

13. callan

callan Member

hehe. I used Novell software right through their "Golden Years", and was really sad to see how badly they mismanaged their once overwhelming dominance. I still maintain that their microkernel / dynamic Loadable modules implementation (introduced in Netware V3) was the most pure and brilliant innovation I've seen, and their ODI protocol stack far superior to the klunky, buggy and inflexible NDIS stack promulgated elsewhere.. The just ballsed up everything else.

Callan

14. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

You would want this then if you are talking retro. The Novell Brain given out at Brainshare Darling Harbour in the 1990s

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  15. neoprint

neoprint Member

Just got a VC820, finally a use for the RDRAM I have.

Just need to find the 1.133 P3 in Slot 1 and I'm sorted (I know.)

What GPU would you guys pair with this? GF2?

16. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

GF3 or Radeon 8500 imho

Too bad it isn't an 840...

17. adz

adz Member

Not retro, but its heart and soul is :thumbup:

I present my recently delivered Unicomp Ultra Class 103 buckling spring keyboard :leet:

Click to view full size!

I've become a bit of a keyboard snob in recent years and I've always wanted a Model M, I just wasn't prepared to shell out a heap of money for a used keyboard, so I did the next best thing, I bought one of these. All the fun of a Model M, but new :thumbup:

I must say, it feels just like the Model M's I've used in the past and I think it complements my test/retro bench quite nicely.

18. neoprint

neoprint Member

Yeah both solid choices.

Stop shitting in my cornflakes.

19. callan

callan Member

I remember seeing these at Comtech, but I never scored one myself :(

Callan

20. mike-s

mike-s Member

I guess it falls under "retro" as it's from 1999 and from the Pentium 3 era. But I bought a Enlight EN-8950 case
    with the intention of using it with a bunch of 5-in-3 drive adapters and migrating my NAS system to using it instead
    of my current Antec Titan case which I have used, abused endlessly and modified to suit my needs.

I found it on ebay and was quite surprised just how old it was after realising it pretty much hit the mark for my needs.
    Despite this, it's always fallen a little short on what I've wanted in a case, so time for its replacement.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017