Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Ooh I like that funky storage tower!

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I'm confused with what the purpose of this post is? Don't get so butthurt because somebody else has a different view to you.

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Badmofo does write like that. So does Power member. Hehe I was waiting for the post & knew exactly how he'd write it.
    Other news Matthew ... the rest of us in here cannot save/ make money & collect nice computer parts :( ... it's a futile exercise

4. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SO I was going to the tip to get rid of sump oil & an old trampoline + a bare atx case as a good excuse to go near the tech recycling bin.

I drive near the metal recycle bin and start throwing in the Trampoline and I spot this case at the top with the rest of the old tvs and computers etc, on first glance im thinking its like an early pentium 75/90 and I'll grab that once I finish throwing away everything.

Then of course the council tip worker wanders on over and starts cutting cords on tvs in and around the skip bin!:mad:!

All I can do is slowly grab small hand fulls of rusty trampoline springs and walk to the metal bin and drop them in......

After a little while he turns his back and walks towards the general waste area where over people are unloading and I spot my opportunity, I quickly run to the skip bin, grab the case and throw it in the back seat, I can hear something rattling around, cover it with an old jumper and drive off, nothing suspected at the weigh bridge and Im free!

Cutting a long story shorTER, its a 3V 486 DX4-100 with 8meg of ram, 1meg Cirrus Logic 5434 & 428meg hard drive, no cd-rom or soundblaster, a proper business computer, had Windows 3.1 and office programmes on it, the rattling sound was the fanless heatsink.

Im not familiar with these machines but it looks like the setup equivilant of the bios is stored on the hard drive, everything seems to check out OKAY, at first I thought the cache module was toast as it didn't turn on which it did after I removed it, I put it back in today and appears to work.

The screen shots arent great as its a crt monitor and I couldn't seem to increase the refresh rate past 75hz.

Another bummer was the CR032 battery is bloody soldered top & bottom, WTF!

The good thing about this machine is the PS/2 ports and has a PCI slot which I'll use to upgrade the video, maybe another 16 or 32meg of ram(24-40), CD-ROM & soundblaster, I think I'll convert to the line of thinking that these branded machines are much quality than the typical crap of its era, downside being you miss on exotic bios options like memory timing etc, probably a good thing as Ive wasted so much time tweaking these settings.

CPU wise Im not sure, It has a sticker inside that mentions 486 DX2/50/66/DX4/100 with a switchboard, I kind of doubt it supports 40mhz fsb, I might upgrade to an amd 5x86-133.

Pretty happy as this machine works and cost me nothing, another classic machine saved from the scrap heap!

JidaiGeki and adz like this.
  5. Krumm

Krumm Member

DX4/100 is a great start and a 1mb cirrus logic was pretty standard at the time, it should be capable of a swathe of great 2d / fmv games. I skipped the 5x86 and went to a pentium at the time but I do seem to recall the 5x86 not being the best with FPU so performance on Quake and other 3D games weren't the best on them. Good job on the save now you just got to work out what you want out of it, the soundblaster and cd-rom will serve you well even if you don't upgrade the processor.

6. callan

callan Member

These arrived from Austria, after a 6 week trip. (somehow they went through quarantine:confused::confused::confused::confused: )
    They're PAL VIC chips for Commodore VIC20's. They're getting a bit like unicorn poop now and a common point of failure, so I thought it would be good to hold a couple of spares. [​IMG]

Callan

adz and flu!d like this.
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

Handsome looking chips - any talk of a modern replacement for these? Or is that one of those technically impractical things that no-one will bother with?

8. callan

callan Member

There has been some discussions, both on the hacker lists and HERE on denial, but it's unlikely to come to fruition for various, valid reasons.
    Mind you, not too long ago some enterprising fellows FPGA'd the MOS325572 a short while ago (the PLL/sync detect/shift register composite function thinggy in 1541 disk drives that replaces a bunch of chips used in the 1540), but that was from a running start, with the logic functions already spelt out for them in the 1540 schematic. (this does not diminish the achievement it must be said!)
    I still hold onto the dream that the TED chip could be reproduced for C264 series (as they're fragile, irreplaceable, essential and fail passively in storage) - but that's just never going to happen: the 264's (plus4, C16, C264) are fated to an solely emulated future.....

Callan

9. bester

bester Member

I ordered an UltraHDMI kit the other day, probably the closest you can get to fixing it with a modern panel.

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Sorting out through hundreds of valves/tubes.

Any tube/valve collector/enthusiast here?

11. flugle

flugle Member

I've been pretty busy lately concentrating on scanning magazines for Kiwis World so I've stayed out of the scrounging game for a while, but checked Gumtree the other week as I do for magazines and I picked up a pile of Atari ST Users (shameless plug, they are starting to appear on oldgamemags.com)

The lady said she had an old computer and I could have it all when she cleaned out the shed. So I picked them up today, and there's 2 x 1040s, plus a Mega ST2 (sadly missing keyboard) plus Atari monitor and a bunch of floppies.

[​IMG]

Not bad for free!

They are filthy so i need to clean them first, but fingers crossed they are good. One is missing the floppy but luckily I have a spare Gotek that will fit in there perfectly.

adz likes this.
  12. breech

breech Member

Nice score! You must have quite a large (physical) library by now, how do you store the mags?

13. flugle

flugle Member

I just shove them all on shelves to be honest :) I pack them in tight enough so that they wont move or sag and make sure when I'm placing them in that they're not crooked so there'll be no creasing - it's kept my Zzap 64s in good nick since they were new so it works for me, although collectors may be aghast. I used to have my C&VGs in separate folders with sleeves but it just took up way too much space.

I'm starting to run low on magazines to scan which is why I've started on the hunt again. So if anyone's got mags they don't want - please get in touch. Dreamcast fans will be in for a treat soon as Kiwi is getting a super special donation arriving shortly.

I just fired up the Ataris too - One of the 1040s appears stuffed and the monitor died after 30 seconds, but the other 1040 and the mega 2 work perfectly. Time for some retrobriting on the weekend!

14. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Those 1040s are cool, hopefully it won't be too hard to find the Mega ST2 keyboard as well. Keep us posted on how they turn out!

I picked up a bunch of stuff recently - bought that lot that gambo posted in the bargains thread (thanks gambo!). Managed to fit it all in the 4WD.

[​IMG]

Highlights include some AMD CPUs I've been looking for - FX57, FX60, X2 6400 - and the unexpected surprise of an i7 990X, which I intend to now use. Of the 25 motherboards, maybe 6-7 are obviously in need of work, but no guarantees with the other ones I guess. Best graphics card is a 3870X2, which looks like it'll become retro in about 2 weeks :lol:

Started looking into the cube case, which has been on the want list for years now. Pretty sure it's a Yeong Yang design.

[​IMG]

I was expecting maybe an ATX Pentium Pro or PII ... nope, it's a AT Super 7 with a K6III 450 running what looks like a solid SCSI setup (6 disks, 2 CD drives). Not yet game to power it up, there's a lot crammed into this cube!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I wonder what your house or shed looks like.

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

My purchases lately have mostly been fails.

I bought a AT case recently, and it stained by nicotine, has some rust, the plastic is brittle, etc etc. Salvageable, but more effort than I wanted to put into it.

17. badmofo

badmofo Member

Sorry to hear that - there have been quite a few AT cases popping up on eBay lately but they're getting expensive and are usually pretty shabby.

I used to try and restore cases but it's an exercise in frustration I think - retrobright was way more trouble than it's worth, painting the exterior metal work turned out to be costly and disappointing, and finding missing drive bay covers, etc was impossible. I have a massive bag of MHz displays but every case uses a bespoke size / screw layout so I might as well toss 'em.

18. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

There is some overlap between the screw patterns, I've swapped around some 2 & 3 digit displays. The PCBs could possibly be drilled as well I guess. Also have the Dremel primed to cut a hole to update an otherwise boring case front with a display, some of these boxes aren't sacred.

If you intend to toss them, I'd at least pay you something+post ;)

19. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I think I've been spoiled by the cases you've given me in the past. :thumbup:

The case I bought is probably worth doing something to, being a flip top case - my favourite! Will have a better look over the weekend.

20. flugle

flugle Member

I'm retrobriting them today :) I got a call from the lady who said there's another box there, so I went and grabbed it this morning. I ended up with the keyboard for the Mega ST (Hooray!) another mono monitor and a huge pile of disks and a few zip disks (no Zip drive).

One of the 1040s died and let out the magic smoke after about 10 mins so I'm guessing the power supply is toast.

If there's anyone in the newie area who can bring these suckers back to life I'd love to hear from you.

The deceased owner was a musician so there's a pile of midi related ST floppies plus other Windows DSDD floppies. I'm not going to use those so if anyone wants them let me know

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018