Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Nice score! :thumbup:

Sounds like the filter cap in the power supply has blown, probably one of the first things to go in an old power supply. Solder a new one and its all good to go.

I'd go as far as recapping the entire power supply while your at it but its up to you.

2. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

I picked up a Mega CD 2 and Megadrive 1 Combination this evening. All up it cost me about $270 shipped from the Netherlands

Anyway I already had a mint condition Megadrive 2 so I swapped out the Megadrive 1 for the Megadrive 2 (mainly so i fits into my display cabinet)

The only issue now i have a bunch of left over parts and and a missing expansion port :(

I have always wanted a Mega CD for my collection and think i got one at a great price

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

adz likes this.
  3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

You’re not going to use it?

nimmers likes this.
  4. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

I'm not spending that sort of money to have it sit in a display case :)

nimmers likes this.
  5. bYrd

bYrd Member

I really like the original Mega Drive 1 design, it fits into the flashy 90's design. The MD2 is much more basic in appearance, but it looks as it should be with that MegaCD next to it :) Can you run CD-R games off the drive?

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yes. No copy protection on the MegaCD/SegaCD/Wondermega/etc.

7. dustar

dustar Member

Damn... when I see that Mega CD combination, I almost regret that I've sold my Sega collection a few years ago. I also had a few of those Mega CD II's, but also a lot of Dreamcast, Saturn and Game Gear. The only part I've kept was everything of the Master System. And I still have my boxed Mega CD I (but no Mega Drive anymore ;-) ).
    Sega stuff is still easy to get here.

8. bester

bester Member

Wrote that back in May last year, unfortunately the ASUS PVI-486SP3 I got seemed to be totally dead. It wouldn't power on at all, so I tried re-flashing the bios, replacing the capacitor and voltage regulators but no go.

I therefore got a LS-486E(B) which is another desirable 486 PCI board and it works perfectly. Finally assembled it this weekend, the board came with an AMD X5-133ADZ so I left that in there for the moment. This time I used a SCSI2SD rev 5.0 rather than a traditional SCSI HDD which is installed in a 3D printed mount from Shapeways.

System components are as follows:

Lian Li PC-6B Case
    Corsair CX 550M PSU (with ATX to AT with -5V adapter)
    Lucky Star LS-486E(B) REV:F + Am5x86-P75-133 + 64MB RAM
    Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 2MB PCI (S3 ViRGE)
    Adaptec AHA-29430CU SCSI Controller
    Music Quest PC-MIDI IH9MQ9 ISA Card (100% Roland MPU-401 compatible)
    Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
    SCSI2SD 3.5" 50-pin SCSI to SD card adaptor (revision 5.0) + SanDisk Ultra 16GB Micro SD Card
    LITE-ON iHDP118-04 DVD ROM
    Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    DOS 6.22

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cdtoaster, Phido and adz like this.
  9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Ah man, seems like a waste to have that system in that Lian Li case. Brings back fond memories of mine with a PD and P4 system.

10. badmofo

badmofo Member

That's a thing of beauty bester! Pristine inside and out, well done.

11. cevad

cevad Member

Awesome, my first computer was an Atari 520ST (with external single sided 3.5" drive and a mono monitor), which then was upgraded to a 1040STFM, and then an Atari Falcon030 (with 4Mb of ram, then upgraded to 14/16Mb and then a 32Mhz overclock kit thanks to a friend from Germany - was nuts watching him install the kit, no way I was that brave lol).

Miss those days. I think I still have a 44.1Khz DSP Chip plug-in for the Falcon030 if anyone still has one and can make use of it.

12. Phido

Phido Member

BTW you can use a Direct3D wrapper with the s3 virge to get accelerated OpenGL support if your into that kind of thing.
    That is a really neat setup. Mine is so messy.

13. flugle

flugle Member

Some long weekend reading!

[​IMG]

On another note, I got my Mega ST retrobrited and cleaned up. Looks good. My labrador bless him though decided to chew the keyboard cable up so I am now on the hunt for a curly cable

Does anyone know if these are just straight rj12-rj12 and if one of those phone extension cables work?

nimmers likes this.
  14. underskore

underskore Member

I just saw a reasonable looking Atari Meta/STE sitting on the naturestrip one block from my house - I've already got too much junk so can't claim it for myself but if someone really wants it and can collect from 3147/3803 in the very near future I am more than happy to go back and grab it. *if it's still there*

This offer really only stands for tonight (i'll check it when I get home from work tomorrow aswell but I doubt it will last that long)

images at the below link
    https://imgur.com/a/ICckp

edit: see other thread for details - it was found and looks like it's all going to flugle

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  15. flugle

flugle Member

If nothing else that keyboard and cable would be awesome please. Happy to send some dosh for your time but I’d arrange a courier to pick it up from you.

16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

For a few years now I've had in the back of my mind a desire to rebuild/recreate the PC I had during the late 90's for not only nostalgic reasons, but to act as a "tweener" between my vintage PC's and my current PC. Old enough to support legacy hardware such as the ISA bus/full floppy drive format support etc, but also "recent" enough to have PCI/AGP and an operating system that will make things like networking a lot easier. But the biggest stumbling block for me was the case as I really wanted the original case I had back then and nothing I saw over the years came close to what I wanted. Until now.............

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Pentium-133MHz-computer-from-the-1990s-works-well-/152878664820

The second I saw this it caught my attention and the more I looked the more convinced I was that this was the very case I had! The rectangled power/turbo button, the grid like design with the power/turbo/hdd leds positioned the way they are, the big blue power button! I'm almost 100% convinced this was it I was stoked to find it! I probably paid a little too much (I put in an offer of $125.00 which was accepted) but it was too good to pass up.

My plans are to completely disassemble/clean then I will look to replace a lot of the parts.
    • The ugly assed CD-ROM drive will be replaced with a Creative drive. I would love to find the Creative Encore DVD-ROM Drive + kit I had but this will have to do for now.
    • Motherboard + CPU will go to be replaced with a FIC VA-503+ and AMD K6-2 400 I picked up a few years ago. Same board I had all those years ago, CPU is a slight upgrade on the 350 I had.
    • Will be using my trusty Diamond Stealth II S220 (Rendition V2100) which I kept from that PC although I may later upgrade to a Diamond Stealth III S520 (S3 Savage4 PRO) like I eventually did at the time.
    Hmmm, I wonder if I can still find an old version of Ultima Online and run it offline like I use to? My god I lost so many hours playing UO in the late 90's....:wired:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    adz likes this.
  17. badmofo

badmofo Member

I'd pay a lot more than that for a clean example of my old case! Looks like a good time to me, keep us updated with the build and I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that seller - he has some interesting stuff ATM so would be good to know if he packages stuff well.

18. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I bought that flip top case from the same seller.

19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Just received it this morning and it arrived safe and sound. :thumbup: Seller did a very good job of packing it putting it in a nice large box with large bits of foam either side to stop of from moving around too much. Had plenty other other packaging material wrapped around it including some old clothes. Did the job perfectly.

Took a quick pic before I headed off to work. Having seen it in the flesh I can 100% confirm it was my old case! Unbelievable, never thought I'd be so excited to see a generic computer case! :lol:

Click to view full size!

Will try and get around to do a write at some stage.

Has anyone heard of or seen the name "Ritron" before? Maybe it's my fuzzy memory and wanting it to be true, but it rings a bell but I can't find any information online. This PC is from Melbourne but back then I was still living in Adelaide and I'm just wondering if maybe there is the possibility it was the same place we got it from. If so there's a very good chance the motherboard is the same as my original PC before I upgraded it to the VA-503+ so it will be like history repeating itself if I did the same upgrade! :wired:

JidaiGeki likes this.
  20. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

That's awesome - it's always so hard to get back the generic stuff that's usually lost to e-waste, so this is a real feel good outcome!

Edit: Looks like Ritron was a house brand for Rod Irving Electronics - and there was an Adelaide store listed.

[​IMG]

Found the ad in a '97 Australian PC User mag.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Flamin Joe likes this.