Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Too cool, that's a very nice XT.

Looks like you've got mounts for double floppies as well as the hard disk. Anything loaded on the hard disk?

2. matz

matz Member

Yep the floppy is half height, no idea what is on the hard disk, the 5160 powered up for a moment then wound down and won't start again. PSU is probably shot, I'll use the PSU from the 5150 to see if I can get it to start up.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  3. adz

adz Member

That is one awesome IBM XT and with a silver badge XT Model M in immaculate condition to boot, very jelly :leet::leet::leet:

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

wait,there's how much money i old mobo's?

might be time to clean out the cupboard.

5. matz

matz Member

Picked up this lot today on Gumtree:

C64, C128, A500, A600, 1571 FDD, 2 x Datasets, etc etc... Also got a P4, P3, P2, Celeron, EGA monitor and a XT/AT mech keyboard thrown in for nothing.

Didn't really need all the commodore stuff as I already have a lot of it but have been after the breadbin and a 1571 so decided to get the lot. Anyway glad I did as I'd been looking for a period EGA monitor for the XT build!

The seller casually mentioned they had just thrown out all their older PC's (XT, 386 etc), PC and Commodore monitors to the recyclers as they didn't think they were worth anything :( Still glad I could salvage what I did.

[​IMG]

adz and JidaiGeki like this.
  6. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Whoa ... hope you're not in too much trouble with the wife! Nice haul nonetheless, real shame the seller tipped the other gear though :(

7. matz

matz Member

I've got so much stuff now I doubt she would notice the difference. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. badmofo

badmofo Member

Cracking haul there matz, should keep you busy for a while. And yes it breaks your heart to think of all that other nice stuff getting tossed into eWaste - I've gotten most of my machines from the local recycling center over the years but there came a time when I just had to accept that I couldn't keep spending an hour of my weekend rescuing stuff from the pile - not to mention that it was against the rules to take it!

9. iMic

iMic Member

Can't read the front of that monitor too well - what brand does it say on the sticker? Looks extremely familiar and I'm wondering if it actually is a Micro Byte monitor or whether MBS just slapped their sticker on a generic design (I suspect the latter).

Awesome haul, a little envious of the A500 and A600. Great stuff.

10. badmofo

badmofo Member

11. matz

matz Member

12. iMic

iMic Member

Well derp. It occurred to me that since acquiring the Micro Byte, I never once looked at the back of the CRT. Sure enough it's a Forefront ECM-5400, Micro Byte just replaced the badge on the front.

13. matz

matz Member

Picked up an interesting 486 system on Gumtree, was used as a workstation running AUSCAD controlling an industrial mill/lathe. Anyway came with all the original software / manuals and a single VLB card which does basically everything (Video, Disk Controller, IO). Also a very obscure IBM CRT (Model 7097-5C4, PN: 60H9250), can't seem to find any information on that. It's absolutely filthy having been in a workshop for over 20 years, but for $50 I'm not complaining and it should scrub up nicely.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

JidaiGeki, Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Click to view full size!

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Hairy Wong! :lol: Bit of an inside joke but it's what we use to call it at the distributor I worked for in the early 2000's (Omega Technology). We use to distribute that case, HarWong :confused: I think that's how it was spelt but I just remember it as the Hairy Wong haha. That's the H304 if I recall correctly, there was a H306 which was the full size version. Or I could be wrong and it's the other way around, but either way that was the models.

Sold bucket loads of them as a Omega branded system, we even ran late night ad's on TV selling them. Sold tonnes more as non-branded systems to customers up and down Queensland and NSW so I would honestly not be surprised if that's one of ours. We sold a variety of boards but the majority of them would of been either a MSI or DFI board and either a P4 or Celeron, not much AMD.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  15. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Flamin Joe likes this.
  16. ohayes

ohayes Member

I actually had bidded on all the Commodore gear from this lady for $260 - I had even sealed the deal and I was going to pick it up on Thursday from Panania but I couldn't make it till Saturday. She messaged me Friday morning and said that she had an offer for $300 and I let it go :(

Oh well you snooze you lose in this game!

17. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

was cleaning up at work, this powered on so I couldn't throw it in the bin. I tend to grab 5:4 LCDs whenever I can as I know its desirable for certain retro PC setups prior to native 16:9 support in games.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/668n4abjk17s3ew/IMG_20180306_191206.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw5w0nqvn1p23pp/IMG_20180306_191228.jpg?dl=0

I already cleaned it so those marks you see on the display are permanent but not really noticeable when it's displaying an image. Quickly hooked up a laptop to test that it actually displays and it's really quite vibrant. Don't know what it's purpose will be yet.

edit: I'm guessing it was designed for terminal use, it has a rotating base and the display itself can be rotated to portrait mode. Built in speakers too (untested)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  18. adz

adz Member

When I worked for Maxwell's in the late 90's, we were selling them as the Hyena brand, I still have one, it's what my Voodoo machine lives in.

19. matz

matz Member

This one is running a Gigabyte GA-6BXC mobo with a Celeron 266Mhz, SB16 (CT2230), QDI Rendition V220 & Dlink DE-528CT!

20. matz

matz Member

Interesting I contacted her on Friday and she said she had already had a bid for $300, so I had to go up from there!