Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Interesting Shuttle mobo.

Actually reminded me of something.

2. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Ah I see. I had a 3850 in an older XPC (P4) as my main computer for a long time, so fingers crossed for you this had the same upgrade. Just watch for caps on Shuttle motherboards.

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Page 3 of your link ATI Radeon 9200 Runt of the litter :p

4. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

I could potentially be interested, for shits and giggles it would be fun to max out the ram etc and throw a gpu in to see what frames it may get. Do you have hsf’s to go with the CPUs? I have one currently. I also have a dual socket 604 machine I may be able to bring home.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

If you want DDR2 400mhz ECC Reg ram I have 5.5gbs worth you can have for free.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Gee thanks :lol::leet: Does it suit one of these HP ProLiant ML350 G5 :confused:

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Pretty sure the ML350 G5 only accept FB DDR2 from 667mhz and up.

8. adz

adz Member

I may be able to dig some suitable heatsinks up.

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

If it's Fully Buffered you need, I have 2 x sticks of Corsair CM72FB1024-667/EL G. Been holding onto them for the past few years on the off chance they may one day be of use.

10. matz

matz Member

760XD arrived today in perfect condition (bonus no shipping damage), the battery even still works! I also managed to resurrect the 760XL which came beaten and twisted from the US a while ago, the power switch was jammed up with case debris and once re seated fired up just fine, will be a handy parts bin for the 760XD.
    [​IMG]

JidaiGeki and adz like this.
  11. matz

matz Member

Amstrad PC1640.. video output will need some work, another project to add to the list!

[​IMG]

shane41, JidaiGeki and adz like this.
  12. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

Holy moly you got one - was this the gumtree one?

13. matz

matz Member

Yep, just picked it up. Fortunately the video gave out before I picked it up so got it for a discount.

adz likes this.
  14. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

Nice - very impressive! Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it when you get the time :)

15. matz

matz Member

Indeed, I get the feeling this one will probably jump the queue a bit. Hooked up another monitor to it and get the same checkerboard output which is good news, most likely bad caps on the motherboard from my quick and limited research. So should be a relatively quick fix.

16. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  17. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Wow, and to think I threw one of those out a few years ago. It belonged to my cousins and when we went to their place for Christmas, we would play all sorts of old games on it. The one I had had two floppy drives and no hard drive.
    I do still have the first computer my family owned though - an Amstrad PPC512.

18. shane41

shane41 Member

Nice :thumbup: These are a bit old for me. I did enjoy the floppy games in the keyboard on a Amstrad cpc 128 ... wasted alot of time there :Paranoid:
    If you find some machine, newer than yours & less amount of bezel around the monitor I'd be interested in collecting one.

Other news salvaged a Jedi tower from the dirt nap, my first of those beige full tower cases :leet:

19. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

They're old but that particular one has a small hard drive. - and very quirky because you have to manually "park the heads" via the DOS command prompt before you turn the machine off. Plus the inbuilt speaker had a volume control - cool stuff back in the day.

I won't overload this thread with too much information, so I'll keep it short 'n sweet. From what I understand of these machines - besides the EGA on CGA monitor trick, is that the 8086 CPU can be replaced with an NEC V30 chip for around a 20% speed increase, and an 8087 math coprocessor can be added. You should also be able to add an 8-bit IDE card to support an IDE hard drive. :)

One cool thing I found about the power supply though - there appears to be a replacement!

https://www.facebook.com/reactivemicrousa/posts/1901428966777006:0

Which was a post from mid-2017 with an Ebay link (which has expired), but I found the current link:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/63-Watt...411808?hash=item467b3e9d60:g:-CUAAOSw0hlZEHH5

Not exactly cheap but at least there's options out there.

20. Vanne

Vanne Member

Bought myself a nice one of these today, just for my kids when we go on holidays. I have an near new N64 purple people eater stashed at our holiday house in Holland.

[​IMG]
    just to save my pretty rare Gauntlet legends PAL cart/and a few other carts i have. :D

and a

and 2 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    elvis likes this.