Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. matz

matz Member

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I soiled my undies....

elvis and Alby1976 like this.
  3. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

You might be able to source a HardMPU kit from Vogons as well. That project uses an Atmel AVR to provide intelligent mode functionality just as the Music Quest clones use a Z8 combined with a programmable array chip. The primary advantage of the second run of Music Quest cards is a wavetable header with line out circuit.

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yes that Music Quest clone (of a clone) is the beez knees but I can't justify one here, or can I? No! But wavetable header? No you don't need it!

I hope they don't make any more.

Or do I?

5. ohayes

ohayes Member

Damn Matz wish I had the discretionary funds you do... :)

6. matz

matz Member

Got to spend my money on something (besides the wife, kids and mortgage)! Admittedly I've been getting a bit carried away lately, the projects are starting to pileup and I'm running out of space.

Anyway I see most retro gear as an asset, they will only get rarer and go up in value over time....at least that's how I justify it to myself :)

7. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

No harm in having a hobby, but I hope your right in presuming this retro computer stuff will go up in value over time.
    World needs more collectors of vintage computing gear...

8. Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG]
    Audigy 2 zs from 2003..‍

BuzzPuppy likes this.
  9. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Wow, that would be very handy! Does it automatically detect the ram size, type and speed?

10. matz

matz Member

Awesome pic, did you take that yourself?

11. matz

matz Member

Indeed it does!

12. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.esapcsolutions.com/ecom/drawings/m_486manual.pdf

ESA TF-486 Motherboard.

Late model 486 motherboard with 2002 bios, Boot from CD-ROM? I had to have it!

Also has headers for a pS2 Keyboard and Mouse.

The RTC still holds a charge.

Its similar to my other PCI ALI 486 motherboard, the Level 2 cache doesnt like higher dram speeds and appears to benchmark quicker without it anyway.

I was testing with a Gainbery 5x86-133 but it doesnt seem to like running at 160mhz, I still have the voltage set to 3.3V so might switch to 5V and let the interposer work out the optimal setting, probably wont make a difference anyway, its a PQFP chip, any good for 160mhz?

matz likes this.
  13. matz

matz Member

Nice, always had a soft spot for the 486, was the first computer I bought with my own money.

14. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

That's an unusual board. Being a late model board, it is surprising that it has just one PCI slot, only 2 ram slots and no ZIF socket (looks like it was designed to take one though). I can't recall ever seeing a DX4 in a non-ZIF socket before.

15. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

It'll be for industrial use - check out the BIOS information "Innovative Imaging Inc" which looks to be medical imaging.

Looks to be a decent board, and the manual is still easy to find which is always nice. BIOS supports 120GB HDDs which is funny for a 486.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Vanne and dacow like this.
  16. dacow

dacow Member

Nice pick up! didn't even notice that. I guess I've become de-sensitised to all the BIOS screens after a while.

17. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

It's also got a "Disk on chip" socket for m systems memory (max 144meg), might be worth testing as a fast OS drive like an early version of an SSD lol!

18. bYrd

bYrd Member

Nice, get yourself a GUS, SB16, PAS, etc for all those ISA slots :)

19. Phido

Phido Member

Today I received my Diamond Stealth III S530 8Mb PCI sealed in its original box. From Russia.

I have a Savage4 AGP 32mb I bough back in the day (1999?). So I wasn't after the 32mb version.
    I want to try it out in my slot 1 build (two Savage4? PCI/AGP?) and this is likely to live in a 486 build. I have a Geforce4 Ti200 128mb in AGP for that as well.

I have other AGP cards, but I really wanted a light PCI card. I might get a S3 Virge as well and some other light weight pci cards.

The Savage4 was actually a decent card at the price when it was released (well a bit after when they slashed the price). Does metal, DirectX really well the OpenGL wasn't perfect but by the end it was fine for games.

They are good value for the price.. You could pay a lot to chase down a 4 or 8Mb virge or simular, but the Savage4 would be about 10 times as fast, way less buggy and supported SGRAM, DVD motion compensation and accelerated playback, higher resolutions (like 1080p!). With S3TC support, 8mb of ram shouldn't be an issue. 32Mb was pretty insane, it was only high res texture packs that could ever take advantage of it (and you won't be running those on a 486 anyway). They work quite well with more limited CPU power too.

20. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nah I wish, it's over at my postal deposit box in the US. Should get it next week or 2, waiting for a few other bits and pieces to arrive before I ship it all to DXB.